Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

ND Crane and Goose Adventure

Buschy

I have been terrible at posting pics lately, but have a few good ones to put up.

The kids and I were out doing some crane and goose hunting North of Bismarck two weekends in a row with a good friend. Now Kirby is a crane hunting junkie. You have to be warped to love hunting Sandhill Cranes as much as he does. He has tree stands set up around the area with 140-150 class whitetails coming through regularly on trail cameras and never seems to get around to hunting them. He says he would love to sit in the bow stands, but it would interfere with his crane scouting in the evening. :confused: Like I said a nice guy, but warped priorities in my opinion!! Kirby makes it easy and fun to bring the kids out on some great hunts with lots of action though.

This was Jakey’s first year laying in the decoys and doing some shooting. He is very responsible, but it’s still nerve wracking making sure he is always being safe with the gun. Jakey did well and got his first goose. He also got his first crane, with an assist from dad. Julia also had a good time watching the birds decoy and picking up the ones that hit the ground, in between snack breaks of course. She even mentiond she would like to try shooting the youth shotgun and/or rifle I bought for the kids last year. This surprised me and I hope she follows through with it this coming summer.

A 3:30 wake-up call and a good breakfast before hitting the road!
IMG_0450.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg

The decoy spread.
IMG_0456.jpg

Ready for Action!
IMG_0455.jpg

Kirby Scanning the Skies
IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg
IMG_0462.jpg
IMG_0466.jpg
IMG_0467.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0474.JPG
    IMG_0474.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 345
Pteradactyls!

Fun, fun stuff Buschy. You even got into some squeakers! I'll be out this weekend doing the same (sans the cranes and kids).

Good stuff, Buschy. Looks like they had a blast.

I've heard that cranes have delicious red meat. Think Nemont has posted on the subject in the past.

We had a flock of cranes fly over us in Eastern MT last week that blew my mind, groups of a couple hundred spaced out passing by for the better part of a half hour. Never knew they flocked up like that.

A report I read online read they can get up to 10-15,000 in that migration, I definitely believe it now.

Awesome picture Buschy

I am trying to take a trip to New Town, ND, so I need to know all these little random facts.....

:D

I just spent a week for work in Dunn Center, south of New Town.
Lots of sunflowers around there. Lots of geese and cranes around, but I didn't see many ducks yet.

DS,

No. It's a dark meat like Oak said. Not bad though.

Jose,

The sunflowers and corn are being harvested right now so there will be a lot less escape cover in the near future. What are you headed to New Town for? It's not much of a tourist destination!

AWESOME pics!
With a little luck, we will actually have a drawing and get to hunt Cranes in TN next year but anti's are coming out of woodwork
They taste more like sirlion of the sky than chikkin...kilt and et a few in SK.

WOW! Thanks for sharing the pics, Buschy! Early morning clear sky - looks chilly as heck! Your young man and lady sure have a great mentor / father! Congrats on a good time! Great pics! I do not do much hunting with respect to bird - friend usually shovels a bunch of duck / geese breasts to me. Good eats - never tried crane though. I take it follows along the geese flavor?

Again, great times - great memories. Congrats!

Sorry for the late post - catching up from my recent rifle hunt.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back