Caribou Gear Tarp

NCAA allows athletes to monetize name

How about poor alumni who thought they needed a college degree but could have learned just as much or more in their career field by starting at the bottom at 18 and working their way up without $75k in debt?
Natural selection...

I guess if they can make money off it to help put them through school great. But they sure need to think about what the true meaning of being an amateur means. Good on the USGA for holding strong on their standing of rules for being an amateur

I'm not sure what amateur means when you are talking about college sports. Nobody is a amatuer, that is a made up thing by the NCAA who make MILLIONS off of college kids. NCAA exploits kids for cash, I don't know how anyone can see it differently.

Ok so when I was younger I was recruited by 3 schools to play Baseball at LSU, Vanderbilt or Duke. It was explained to me that I was not able to make any monetary gains from any local or national deal. I would sign away my naming rights with my scholarship. I was not able to sell any gear that was given to me, outside of my normal gameday and training I was given a $20 daily food allowance. If I got injured and no longer could play. My scholarship would be revoked.

The NCAA makes more money then the NFL and NBA combined. They can afford to pay their athletes

I'm not sure what amateur means when you are talking about college sports. Nobody is a amatuer, that is a made up thing by the NCAA who make MILLIONS off of college kids. NCAA exploits kids for cash, I don't know how anyone can see it differently.
From Merriam Webster:
Amateur-one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a profession.

profession in my eyes means you profit. Like I said good on the USGA(United States Golf Assoc.) for standing firm on their position of being an amateur or a professional. If you make x amount of dollars you are no longer an amateur and therefore considered a professional. So even though the NCAA said make money kids. Those college golfers will have to think twice is it worth making money and putting ourselves on the same playing field as the top dogs?

So getting money makes a college athlete a professional? Seriously, why is this a problem? Most of these kids will move on to other careers. Just because they can profit a little from a sport is good for them. Especially the ones that can turn sports into a career. If I had the skills, I would take the money and never look back. Like it or not, sports drives the colleges. mtmuley

This is long overdue. No one should lose the right to earn money from the name, image and likeness just because they are a part of an organization that arbitrarily usurps that right.

Prior to this, a science student at a university could start a science blog and earn ad revenue through their own efforts. However, if that science student was also an athlete the NCAA would call a foul and threaten their ability to be an athlete by declaring them non-amateur which might cause them to lose their scholarship.

The NCAA has been infringing on student athlete's rights for way too long.

Car dealerships, jewelers, and liquor stores are licking their chops right now! Can't wait to see what 18-22 year olds blow their cash on.

Guess I'd better get my kids doing social media so they can build a following to monetize themselves in college. I'm sure there won't be a cottage industry trying to maximize kids social followings to cash in on them.

1625281011393.png
1625281377788.pngI though this was interesting that the top three social media accounts in the big ten are a gymnast and two wrestlers.
Gable Stevenson already has a deal inked with Gopuff and Roman bravo young and spencer lee have signed with barstool athletics.

Back