Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

NCAA allows athletes to monetize name

Gellar

The NCAA is going to allow athletes to receive compensation for their name, pictures, appearances, etc. how do you think this will work out for the athletes? Personally, I feel there will be a select few athletes who will do good from men’s basketball and football. However I think most of the athletes who were making the biggest stink about this are about to find out they aren’t as big off campus as they are on.

I'm fine with it. I can see it leading to locker room drama and jealousy though.

Certainly uncharted territory.

A lot of the talking heads are predicting female athletes will benefit greatly.

Also, will be interesting to see how this effects athletes choice of school. A highly rated Iowa kid may decide to stay with the Hawks simply because of the earning potential.

I'm fine with it. I can see it leading to locker room drama and jealousy though.

Certainly uncharted territory.

A lot of the talking heads are predicting female athletes will benefit greatly.

Also, will be interesting to see how this effects athletes choice of school. A highly rated Iowa kid may decide to stay with the Hawks simply because of the earning potential.
I thought about how kids choose schools and how schools recruit kids. A 3/4 star kid will have more “earning” potential at a place like Iowa vs Alabama or USC where they are blurred by all the other big names.

I can see women doing very well, unfortunately maybe not for their athletic ability though.

In college wrestling the only sport I follow closely I can see it widening the gap further between Iowa, Penn State and Oklahoma State. Even a JV kid at Iowa could probably do OK for himself doing appearances with the amount of lunatic fans there are here.

I don’t think it will affect the top 1% of football and men’s basketball. I think a lot of them were already on someone’s payroll.

If colleges want to truly set these people up for success in the future, then give them a skillset beyond sports through, IDK, actual academic education & trades training so they don't have to trade their name for cash.
Couldn’t agree more. I always thought an education was enough of a payment or an investment in their future.

Slippery slope for sure. But these colleges paying coaches 9+Million per year could only hide behind the veil of education and amateurism for so long.
So cap what coaches can make and put the remaining money back into the school hiring educators or offering scholarships.

If colleges want to truly set these people up for success in the future, then give them a skillset beyond sports through, IDK, actual academic education & trades training so they don't have to trade their name for cash.
I don’t disagree with you. Today the emphasis on sports is placed above all else long before college. I don’t think the blame needs to be solely placed on colleges for this but they are certainly not innocent.

I remember my freshman or sophomore year of college I had a sociology 100 level class that was required. The first day their was about 15 football players in class. The teacher took attendance by passing a clipboard around and you’d write your name on it. After the first class there would be 1 football player in class, a different one each day. When the attendance clipboard got to him he’d write all the other players on the sheet and pass it on.

Where a lot of these athletes will make money is on social media. It isn't necessarily having you picture on billboard for the local car dealership. Many athletes have large instagram and you tube followings. I am indifferent either way. My son played college football and came out of it with a pretty dang good education. It wasn't all paid for but it helped.

I don’t disagree with the concept, but I think many colleges don’t truly want to set them up for success. They want to, and have been, profiting off of the circus. I’m sure there are many individual coaches, administrators, and likely whole programs who do want life-success for their athletes.

Most modern college athletes have been in systems designed specifically to prioritize success in sports since they were in late elementary school and junior high (AAU, travel everything, Jr. National teams, etc.). They're transferring to high schools that put them in a position for athletic success. To me this ruling allows a spade to be called a spade...the status of collegiate sports as an amateur activity has been a façade for a long time from what I can tell.

My favorite quote on the ordeal, from JJ Redick, who I can't stand but went on to a pretty good NBA career: "From 2004-2006, I would have made a bag on NIL endorsements. Sadly — I would have blown it all on Natty Light and Lacoste polos (with the collars popped, of course).”

@SnowyMountaineer precisely.

Collegiate sports shouldn't be about money. It should be about learning not just the sport, but the lessons that come from being in a tight knit team environment. That goes away when the focus becomes the individual and not the team.

I don't really have a strong position either way. Making money is the modus operandi of society, mostly worldwide. Because someone goes to a university for "education" to make money (ya, ya... exceptions apply), I would say athletics is a means of education to make the glorified $!

If you're gonna pull 10 mil a year coaching swift violent elites they can't be bothered by class and studies. Natural selection is harsh my man...

I don’t disagree with the concept, but I think many colleges don’t truly want to set them up for success. They want to, and have been, profiting off of the circus. I’m sure there are many individual coaches, administrators, and likely whole programs who do want life-success for their athletes.

Most modern college athletes have been in systems designed specifically to prioritize success in sports since they were in late elementary school and junior high (AAU, travel everything, Jr. National teams, etc.). They're transferring to high schools that put them in a position for athletic success. To me this ruling allows a spade to be called a spade...the status of collegiate sports as an amateur activity has been a façade for a long time from what I can tell.

My favorite quote on the ordeal, from JJ Redick, who I can't stand but went on to a pretty good NBA career: "From 2004-2006, I would have made a bag on NIL endorsements. Sadly — I would have blown it all on Natty Light and Lacoste polos (with the collars popped, of course).”
Athletic departments are going to have to educate athletes on wise choices. The nfl, and NBA have not done a good job on this and many of the athletes are broke even though they are making a lot of money. Sadly many college athletes are going to be duped by people who try to capitalize on athletes by getting them to enter into marketing deals.

So cap what coaches can make and put the remaining money back into the school hiring educators or offering scholarships.
I agree, but it’s also worth noting that the NCAA isn’t allowing anything. SCOTUS said what they were doing was unconstitutional.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back