My God how outdoor television has fallen.

rmauch20

I had outdoor TV on while I was at the gym today and watch addicted to the outdoors hunt exotics in Florida. Sweet baby Ray it was one of the most brutal experiences in my life. I should’ve just turned it off but it was like a car wreck and I couldn’t look away. They get all dressed up and carry-on like it some great wild hunt. They literally pimp firewood to you. They couldn’t shove more product placement into one show if they tried.
It gets brought up a lot, the declining numbers of hunters shows like that illustrate why. People watch that and probably think that you need a custom suppressed firearm to go shoot farm animals at 50 yards. Wearing head to toe camo patternWhich I’m sure they told me what company it was about 60 times but I honestly don’t remember. Of course you need a tack cam attached to your rifle to record your wild adventures.
After watching that crap I really appreciate the content Randy, Steven Rinella, solo Hunter and a few others put out.

Sorry for the rant it just got me going this Sunday morning.

Last edited:
Agreed. I will watch the shows, where they go out and get after them. I rarely watch white-tail and turkey shows. It is all the same. I have to laugh every time I see some fool totally dressed in camo, go out and get into a box blind. LMAO! THEN you have the ones that act like eight-year-olds, all while pushing deer piss, high-dollar camo and some sponsor's ammo/broad head/arrow etc.

It follows along with the modern day television drama... Occasionally I may flip to the Pursuit channel however, that's occurred only a couple times this past few weeks. In fact, aside from Forged In Fire (History Channel) and watching the series, "John Adams" on amazon Prime while my daughter digs into the Declaration of Independence in school... That's about all the love I have for TV. Last show I really enjoyed was the original, On Your Own Adventures.

I agree it’s almost all terrible, but I’m pretty sure it’s always been almost all terrible. Kinda like people say they like old country, because we remember Waylon and the like, but there was crappy pop country in the 70s too. My opinion.

I don't discriminate against any particular TV hunting show, I just don't watch ANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've watched some of Randy's online.

I don’t have cable, but whenever I visit my parents, they turn the tv to one of the hunting channels because they think I like it.

Inevitably, I sit through one or two shows before I break and insist on watching something else. I’d rather let my mom watch HGTV than sit through an evening of “Fat dumb Fred went outside with a video camera.”

I agree it’s almost all terrible, but I’m pretty sure it’s always been almost all terrible. Kinda like people say they like old country, because we remember Waylon and the like, but there was crappy pop country in the 70s too. My opinion.

I did the ol 'hold for 20 mins' to speak to the dish cancellation rep last week. She connects and says, "are you calling to lower your subscription rate" ...will be speaking with her again in 24 months.

I completely cut myself out of hunting media a while back and am very happy with the decision.

I skim Randy's and a few others when I know they're in an area I hunt, mainly so I know where to avoid the next fall, but that's about it.

I did watch the archery elk hunt with Marcus and his wife. I thought that was fantastic.

All I can say is somebody is watching it. I don't.

Only guys I know that watch any of it are the guys that I work with who hunt maybe once a year or every couple years. I think they'd rather watch that garbage than actually go out hunting. I dont get it either.

We have a few people on YouTube we watch. I agree with 338 above that Nate Simmons on western hunter is definitely worth checking out. Most of the other stuff out there is painful to watch

I had outdoor TV on while I was at the gym today and watch addicted to the outdoors hunt exotics in Florida. Sweet baby Ray it was one of the most brutal experiences in my life. I should’ve just turned it off but it was like a car wreck and I couldn’t look away. They get all dressed up and carry-on like it some great wild hunt. They literally pimp firewood to you. They couldn’t shove more product placement into one show if they tried.
It gets brought up a lot, the declining numbers of hunters shows like that illustrate why. People watch that and probably think that you need a custom suppressed firearm to go shoot farm animals at 50 yards. Wearing head to toe camo patternWhich I’m sure they told me what company it was about 60 times but I honestly don’t remember. Of course you need a tack cam attached to your rifle to record your wild adventures.
After watching that crap I really appreciate the content Randy, Steven Rinella, solo Hunter and a few others put out.

Sorry for the rant it just got me going this Sunday morning.
You mean not everybody’s field staff? 🤣

I don't watch any of them either. The vast majority are a complete travesty and portray a lousy image at best. I only watch Fresh Tracks and Meateater

Last edited:
It follows along with the modern day television drama... Occasionally I may flip to the Pursuit channel however, that's occurred only a couple times this past few weeks. In fact, aside from Forged In Fire (History Channel) and watching the series, "John Adams" on amazon Prime while my daughter digs into the Declaration of Independence in school... That's about all the love I have for TV. Last show I really enjoyed was the original, On Your Own Adventures.

We DVR the Forged in Fire. That is a fun show to watch.

You mean not everybody’s field staff? 🤣
Hey, now! I have the field staff hat! I helped Eastman's set up their reloading bench, as a friend was their editor at the time and all that I got was a lousy hat!:p Can't somach them, after learning some of the inside.

My buddy is into all of that crap. I told him to come hunt with me and we'll find deer. He dropped a doe on the 1st day, we went to start gutting and quartering. He "suddenly" felt "sick", so I did it by myself. He then magically got "sick" again when I was grilling the tenderloins. Oh well, more meat for me. Needless to say, we don't hunt together anymore.

Back