Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

My brother's first javelina

dalbo

My younger brother didn't express an interest in hunting till a few years ago so I helped him put in for some hunts. His first tag was a leftover javelina tag last year and I was able to take him out for a few days. It was crazy windy the whole time and we didn't see anything but deer the whole trip, but it was a good learning experince for him.

This year he was chomping at the bit to go back out and shoot a javelina so we both got leftover rifle tags for the same area. We couldn't have asked for better weather this time, lows in the 20s highs in the mid 60s and little to no wind.

Monday morning found us glassing from the hilltop next to camp, after 5 minutes the peccary gods smiled on us as I spotted 3 javelina feeding on the edge of the wash a 1/4 mile below us. We snuck down and spotted a pig feeding across the wash 50 yards away. I handed my brother my shooting/walking stick and he made a good shot with his
.223 when the pig stopped and offered a decent shot angle.

He was stoked to kill his first game animal and I was very proud of him. We took some pictures, I showed him how to gut it and we headed back to camp to skin and hang it in the shade.

I hoped to shoot one with my pistol on this hunt but luck wasn't on my side. Oh well it was a great trip and great fun. In a day and a half we glassed up a total of 800 barrel cactuses, 10 does, 3 bucks, 3 javelina and my bro found a sweet arrowhead that I made him put back. Good times.

Santa RitaSM.JPG

2013BroJavSM.JPG

2013SRERarrowhead.JPG

Congrats to your bro........but I gotta say I'm not impressed with you making him put the arrowhead back. It's not like he robbed a grave.

Cool hunt. Too bad you had to put the arrow head back. It seems it would have done more good to display it. I'm sure that arrow head holds some cool history. Your a good hunting example following all the laws though.

Being an Arizona native. I know not to keep the arrowhead but i probably would have kept it anyway since it didnt come off of a burial ground.

He was a little disappointed when I told him about the antiquities law & that he should put it back.

Later that night we were talking about the head and wondering how long it had been sitting there, what tribe was it from, what was it like living off the land in that area, what was that person shooting at: a deer, turkey, javelina, another indian, a spaniard, mexican or white man? Was it a hit or miss?

Neat things to ponder by the campfire.

I realize it wouldn't have been the end of the world if he took it home and put it on the shelf. Personally I think it's cool knowing the head's still out there waiting to be found by someone else who may sit around a campfire someday and wonder about it.

This has been "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handy

He was a little disappointed when I told him about the antiquities law & that he should put it back.

Later that night we were talking about the head and wondering how long it had been sitting there, what tribe was it from, what was it like living off the land in that area, what was that person shooting at: a deer, turkey, javelina, another indian, a spaniard, mexican or white man? Was it a hit or miss?

Neat things to ponder by the campfire.

I realize it wouldn't have been the end of the world if he took it home and put it on the shelf. Personally I think it's cool knowing the head's still out there waiting to be found by someone else who may sit around a campfire someday and wonder about it.

This has been "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handy
Way to go. That's what it's all about.

The law was intended to protect archaeological sites...but like most laws it has zero tolerance, no exceptions. A single arrowhead is hardly a "site". But good on you for keeping the letter of the law.

The law was intended to protect archaeological sites...but like most laws it has zero tolerance, no exceptions. A single arrowhead is hardly a "site". But good on you for keeping the letter of the law.
An archaeological site is a place where evidence of past human activity is preserved. A single arrowhead does constitute a "site" both legally and within the discipline of archaeology.

Very nice! I really want to go after them someday! Also, good on you for leaving the arrowhead. I agree the pondering of why/how/by whom it came to be is more fun than looking at it on a shelf.

An archaeological site is a place where evidence of past human activity is preserved. A single arrowhead does constitute a "site" both legally and within the discipline of archaeology.
That's been my experience as well with working with archeologists and SHPO. All are "sites" but not all sites are "significant"...

Went on a deer hunt in Texas in January and those stinky little joker were EVERYWHERE!! What is the meat like? The ranch we were on wouldn't shoot them because you are require by Texas law to use the meat and they said it wasn't worth the effort. Can't complain though, as my son and I got three deer a piece and my 8 year old shot her first animal- a nice 100lb sow :)

You should see her grin everytime we have a meal and I tell her that it is from "her" pig. Matter of fact, I am going to smoke one of the hams this weekend for her birthday :)

Last edited:
That's awesome about your family's hunt and tablefare SFC B!

The average javelina weights about 35 lbs. once you get the head and hide off there's not much to them. I got 7lbs. of chorizo and 7lbs of breakfast sausage from the one I killed in January. So it is alot of time/work for the little bit if meat you get back.

I really need to invest in a grinder so I don't have to pay a butcher anymore.

The chorizo tastes fantastic, my wife even liked it and I prefer it to store bought. I have not tried the breakfast sausage yet, I'll cook some up this weekend.

I really need to invest in a grinder so I don't have to pay a butcher anymore.

Best bet is to buy a commercial grinder. You can find them at swapmeets or ebay. On ebay it's always "local pick-up only" but you can pick one up for about $300. I got one that came out of a Ralph's Supermarket, it'll take as much as you can feed it. The grinders they sell on Cabela's are crap.

Here are some pics from that hunt.....

Attachments

• GEDC0579 2.jpg
    GEDC0579 2.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 211
  • GEDC0578 2.jpg
    GEDC0578 2.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 211
Back