Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

My 3 ladies get er done!

Muskeez

I had the pleasure of taking my wife and youngest daughter to WY for an antelope hunt 2 weekends ago, and got to take my other daughter to western SD this past weekend. The first 2 both shot theirs on the first day in WY. My wife got her first antelope and my daughter shot her second. Neither were going to be too fussy, and only passed on the couple of little guys with horns only as tall as their ears. Both gals made incredibly well placed shots at 180 and 190 yards and only used one bullet each and both animals dropped where they stood and never even flinched. We had a fun trip and got to tour the black hills of SD a little on the way home. It was kind of bitter sweet to be done so early, but the weather was changing the next day to rain and wind so it may have been a good thing to get er done!
My oldest daughter is a student in SD so she can draw tags as a resident there. She drew a antelope tag for western SD, and also an any deer tag for next month. I picked her up Friday and we made our way west again. Saturday she missed a whopper of a buck, one of the biggest I have ever seen. It was a rushed deal after something spooked them during our stalk behind a hill and they ran at us a ways then angled away from us and she had to shoot in a big hurry as they skidded to a stop for an instant. We hunted hard for 2 days and on Sunday afternoon after chasing a herd for about a 4 mile loop, we finally caught up with them after they fed over a hill. Neither of the 2 bucks were real big and about the same length so she picked the wider of the two and made a good 144 yard shot. The pack out was 2.75 miles in 79 degree heat and sun, but it was still fun!
Two fantastic trips with my 3 favorite women! Next is my wife's Iowa Muzzleloader deer tag and oldest daughters West river SD mule deer tag. Good times!

Attachments

• IMG_3224_2.jpg
    IMG_3224_2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 863
  • IMG_8730.jpg
    IMG_8730.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_9109.jpg
    IMG_9109.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_9116.jpg
    IMG_9116.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 862
The third pic has to be my favorite. If only my wife and daughter would learn how to take care of animals once they knock them down, instead of calling me!

Nah, nice pics, pronghorn, and happy hunting partners!

Congrats! And I'll second the comment below. Same thing goes for fishing. When I take my wife and kids, I spend all of my time baiting their hooks and taking fish off hooks. I wouldn't trade it for anything though. At least they want to be out there with me.

The third pic has to be my favorite. If only my wife and daughter would learn how to take care of animals once they knock them down, instead of calling me!

....seems like this time of year I'm always saying the same thing.... "those girls can shoot" ! Congrats to all! (I'm betting the lucky sweater was in there someplace! LOL)

Hahaha! Thanks guys and gals, ya, it is nice that one of the 3 dives in with a knife. My wife could do it as well, not much bothers her, but for everything she does for me the rest of the year, it's the least I can do. Carlee just likes to learn how to do everything so that she can continue to do it all herself without a man's help. And yes, Jeff, you are correct, Olivia had the lucky sweater on in the AM , but it was about 70 degrees when she shot hers and 79 degrees when Carlee connected. A couple warm packouts for sure!

Way cool!
Way to go, girls! and Dad!
Congrats on some great memories, and eats!!

Good eats for sure! Carlee is even processing all the meat herself in her apartment at college. I'm proud of her for doing all the work herself.

That's awesome!! I bait my wife's hooks and take her fish off and gut and process her big game animals...but it's all worth it to see her excitement when she connects. She's a reformed city girl and I'm just happy to have a hot hunting partner to share my lifestyle with.

Back