Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

My 2010 Muzzleloader Whitetail

hunt1up

I hunt ALOT every season and this year was no different. Up until the day I shot this deer, I'd had a rough go of it with regard to bucks. I'd seen alot of deer during bow season, but nothing mature. Although in Illinois, the area I hunt doesn't have a monster behind every tree. Well, a friend and I got received permission to hunt another friend's grandparent's property about 2-3hours away. We'd hunted it a little in the past and I sort of had a lay of the land. I applied for my either-sex gun tag and was drawn. In IL, we can also buy leftover tags OTC, so I decided I'd pick up another either-sex tag, just in case. I wasn't going to get two shooter bucks in a weekend, right? But, nevertheless, I'd rather be prepared.

The opening morning, I was in my stand that I'd put up earlier in the year. It looked like a good spot, but I'd only sat in it one time. At around 8 in the morning, I see a nice 9 pointer cruising the woods. I put my scope on him and decided I wanted to shoot him. He wouldn't be my biggest deer, but he was the largest I'd seen all year and he looked pretty mature. I took my shot, and through the smoke, I saw him go down. He ended up officially grossing 128 and netting in the low 120's.

I was excited. I'd finally got the monkey off my back and killed a nice buck. My friend and I dressed him and got him loaded up. We went to town for some food and ice and planned to get in the woods around noon. There was a place we were thinking was a good travel route, and my plan was to ground hunt a hillside overlooking the area. There were two chunks of woods, separated by a bean field. There were hills heading downward on each side. The deer would, in theory, travel across this area from bed to food.

As I walked out for my afternoon sit, I spot this large buck coming out of the woods, like we'd hoped. I could tell he was on the trail of a hot doe. At this point, I'm in the middle of a bean field with my pack, bi-pod, gun, etc. I was probably 150-200 yards from the buck. I quickly dropped to my belly and laid flat, trying to hide myself. Sure enough, he didn't see me and entered the woods. As soon as he entered the woods and was out of sight, I grabbed my gun, left my other gear and started running. I had the right wind and he couldn't see me. I was able to run to the woodline about 100 yards from where he had went into the ravines. I had an idea of where he should be, and I crept into place. I found the best tree I could to act as a rest and started looking. Sure enough, here he came. He was about 80 yards below me on the other side of the ravine. I took aim and shot. Once the smoke cleared, he was nowhere to be seen.

I headed down to where he stood and found nothing. I proceeded down the ravine and saw blood. Lots of blood. It must have been a good shot. Just then, I see a deer get up and lumber off slowly. He wasn't going far. I backed out and headed back to the house where we were staying. I called my friend, who was still hunting and explained what had happened. It was only about 1 PM at this point. I decided I'd have a beer and clean up my hunting gear and my other buck. I was a slow afternoon for sure.

Continued....

After a few hours, I decided I'd go back to look for my deer. Upon getting in the woods, I found a great blood trail. I followed it for what seemed like forever. I'd followed it for about 600 yards and still no deer. It was getting dark and I had that sick feeling come over me. The one where you think you royally screwed up and won't find your animal.

I decided I'd better back out until morning. I got back to the house and my friend and I discussed the day. I was very upset. We made the decision to hunt our other two stands that were in the vicinity of where the deer might be and look after the morning hunt. The next morning was foggy and damp. I sat with my remaining doe tag and anxiously waited for the search. About a 1/2 hour after daylight, I hear a shot. My friend had shot a very nice doe. After helping him retrieve her, we set out for our search. We scanned the entire area. We found last blood and did circles. We walked every thicket and hillside in the area, and still no buck. There was one area we hadn't gone into yet. My buddy, who was shooting a scoped Savage 220F asked me to switch him guns. I was carrying my smooth bore Winchester 1300, with open sights. The plan was for him to take my gun and sit on the far side of this spot, while I walked it, just in case I might spook a deer to him. My gun would be better suited for his application. Not to be empty handed, I took his Savage and turned back the scope to the lowest power. We split up and I made my way around the hillside, preparing for my walk up and back to my friend.

As I walked, I looked back across the little grass field we were in, back toward the last blood we'd found. I got the "'if I were a deer, I'd go here" mindset. If the buck came across this grass field, I should, in theory, be right where he travelled. I turned and proceeded toward the creek in front of me, which was not 75 yards from my stand. My friend had looked in this particular area earlier with no luck. Nevertheless, I decided to go a bit farther into the sandy creek bed. As I entered, I found numerous deer tracks, both fresh and old, except one set had blood in it! I was amazed. I started tracking and came to where the deer crossed the creek at a shallow sandy crossing. The banks were steep and I could see where the buck had went up the other side. In the creek I went, and up the other side. Just as I topped the bank, the buck gets up, still alive! He goes about 15 yards and stops broadside, very slow and weak.

Not to panick, I threw up my buddy's Savage and pulled the trigger. CLICK! A misfire! I quickly chambered another shell and the second one jammed, half-way from magazine to chamber. I quickly pulled the mag, manually cleared the jammed shell, popped the mag back in and chambered my last shell. This time the gun when off and I lunged him. He ran about 30 yards and was done for good.

Then the adrenaline dump happened. I was beside myself..shaking and talking to myself. I was in utter disbelief. I walked over and found the biggest 8 pointer I've ever seen. My original shot was mid leg. If it had been just inches higher, this whole ordeal would have been alot smoother. Live and learn I suppose.

I put a tag on the deer and went for my friend Clint. When he walked up, I hugged him. He was my deer hunting partner and we have spent alot of time in the woods chasing deer. He couldn't believe that I'd found him, nor could he believe the story of his gun.

In the end, the buck was a clean 8 that officially grossed 161 5/8. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, I just snapped it at the taxidermist when I picked him up.

Attachments

• 2010 8 pointer.JPG
    2010 8 pointer.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 346
  • 2010 8 pointer mounted.jpg
    2010 8 pointer mounted.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 340
So is this a muzzleloader deer?, or did you see it during muzzleoader? I'm confused as to how these new in-lines must work?, how it could jam up and how one chambers another round to put the hammer down? or is this a shotgun hunt continued? Really nice mount though young man.

So is this a muzzleloader deer?, or did you see it during muzzleoader? I'm confused as to how these new in-lines must work?, how it could jam up and how one chambers another round to put the hammer down? or is this a shotgun hunt continued? Really nice mount though young man.

It was a muzzleloader kill during firearm season. In Illinois, during firearm season you can hunt with a shotgun, muzzleloader, or pistol. You can carry a pistol and shotgun, or a muzzleloader and shotgun, or pistol and shotgun...any combination of those three weapons or each one by itself. My initial shot was with a muzzleloader and the next day I was carrying my smooth bore shotgun and my friend was carrying his Savage 220F bolt action shotgun. I was carrying his Savage at the time of the misfire/jam feasco.

My wife wasn't too happy when I came home two weeks prior with a new muzzleloader, but it ended up paying off in the end. :D

Thanks for the kind words as well.

That's a stud of an EIGHT pointer. I don't have a problem calling a muley a 4x4 or the same for an elk. However, it's never gonna happen for a whitetail. You should see the eyes of my buddies' out here light up when I tell them about my 8 and 10 point whitetails on the wall at home.

Congrats on a great buck.

That's a super buck, congrats!!! Good on ya for staying after him. I think too many are lost because folks give up too soon.

Very interesting story on a beautiful buck! As son as I saw 4x4 in the one post I immediately knew he lived out West, LOL!!!

Back