Muzzleloader Mania - Part 1 - Foggy Bottom Bull

For me, this hunt was honestly a microcosm of my whopping 4 months of experience as a father. Would I have preferred to hold out for a chance at that 6x6? Absolutely. But ultimately, there will be more opportunities next year, and the year after that. This year has been a learning experience in humility and contribution to the "greater good" of our new family, often stepping outside my comfort zone to do so. This spike has filled our freezer just as well as that monstrous old bull I saw through the spotter and on my trail cam over the summer. And ultimately, I am simply grateful for the chance to do something I love, on public land that I love, and come home to a daughter who I love.

Dinner last night:
View attachment 239219

But seriously, I am headed back out on Wednesday in search of my one TRUE love: alpine mule deer. Stay tuned for part 2.
Excellent write up! Thank for bringing us along!

Watch out for those pine martens on your muley hunt!

• Haha
Reactions: trb
Awesome story, beautiful photos, and tasty little bull to fill the freezer to feed your growing family, thanks for taking us along.

This story is amazing! Insta-real versus Insta-gram at it's finest. Congrats man! Look forward to reading the mule deer and bear recaps!

Awesome story! Congrats. Can't wait to hear the rest of your hunt stories!

No reflection at all on the story at hand here, but some of these comments touch on one of my pet peeves.

Why are young animals always referred to as tender, tasty, he'll eat good, etc.?

We've been working on a 5 yr old bull at our house thus year. Quality, taste, and tenderness have been as good as anything I've eaten. I remember my biggest whitetail, which I believe to have been at least 4.5 years old, to have been great as well. I've eaten many young animals in my life, as I love full freezers, but I can't say I've seen a measureable difference, as long as the meat was handled appropriately.

Kind of like the "I selected an old dry doe" or "a fat spike". Nobody ever kills a skinny little spike, for some reason.

All comments made in good fun and with no malice. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back