Caribou Gear Tarp

Muzzleloader elk hunt

hornart

I was successful on my mobility impared hunt for bull elk,I was able to connect on this bull opening morning,the 6th of October. the elk were screaming and it was pretty exciting with all of the elk running around, I was trying to get pictures of the other herds as they travelled thru while taking care of the butchering chores on my bull. I had the bull all ready to transport by the time the wife and son-in-law got to me with the horses.

Attachments

• Elk Hunt 2012 004.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2012 004.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 483
Here is the story of my hunt,,we were hunting unit 52 east of Chama New Mexico,,we had 3 bull tags in our camp. We had a MI hunter from Illinois in our camp with us. We got to our camp area a couple of days before the hunt,,we set up camp and the fence for the horses and cut firewood. We could hear the bulls bugling in the mornings and evenings. Opening morning we took the guy from Illinois down into this meadow and help set him up,,The son-in-law and I continued on down the mountain to another meadow,,we could hear numerous bulls bugling and we were headed in the right direction and the wind was in our favor. When we got to the big meadow we had several bulls all within a couple hundred yards of us but not visible,,I had a bull bugling to my right and another to my left,,I chose to go to the right,,I had a patch of aspen trees to my right but would have to cross a section of meadow to get there,,hoping the bull to the left didnt see me I hurried across the opening.When I got to the aspens I knew the bull was fairly close. I was sneaking along when I realized that 2 cows were on the outer edge of the aspens and facing me,,they were both feeding and hadnt seen me. All of a sudden the bull apears,,tired of waiting on the girls,,he hooks them with his antlers and heads them across the meadow,,he turns away from me and follows after them,,the bull on the left screams and my bull turns to bugle back,,he turns broadside to me and I only have a small opening between the aspens,,I get on him with the use of my trigger sticks and send a 250 grain bullet powered by 3- 50 grain pellets at him. Perfect shot,, right behind the shoulder,,the son-in-law gets over to me and I reload in time to see several cows and bulls run around this aspen grove to our left,,thinking that my bull had run that direction we needed to look for blood,,we walked out of the aspen grove and we could see more downhill into the meadow,,there was my bull,,already done. A 30 yard shot thru the aspens and he ran 30 yards into the meadow. What an exciting hunt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back