Muzzle brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
So, I head out to the range today, knowing full well it would be busy as a result of antelope season opening on Saturday. For a mid-week morning, it was even busier than I expected. I broke in the barrel on a couple rifles, did some tweaking, and was there for almost five hours. Over the course of that time, I was astounded how many guys showed up with big rifles and muzzle brakes.

I'm scratching my head on he muzzle brake idea. Not having one and trying to save what little is left of my hearing, maybe someone can explain it to me.

There was a common trait to the dozen guys I watched. All were guys much younger than me. So, this may be a generational issue parting somewhere south of my half-century mark. Every rifle was a synthetic stock and stainless. All of them carried "Hubble-type" scopes on them. Most the guys plopped down, cranked out five to eight shots, then started tinkering with the windage and elevation. Maybe a brake cools a barrel faster than non-braked barrels.

Not being in a hurry, when those guys were launching, I retreated back away from the line, not finding much value in the side-blast that the brakes emit. Not being on the bench, I walked along, looking at what these rifles were, caliber-wise. They were ALL .30 caliber super-juiced something or others.

From behind the line, with my spotter, I watched a few of the groups. Maybe it was the factory loads they were shooting. Maybe it was the scope. Maybe it was the trigger. None of them had groups any better than 2.5", with most I observed being closer to 3.0"+.

I guess I am struggling to understand the idea behind the brakes. From my anecdotal observations, I did not see any improvement in accuracy. Or, if that was improved accuracy, the guys there today probably should stick to shotguns.

I admit to my biases of being a rather traditional guy. That is why I am asking about these muzzle brakes that seemed in such great proliferation today.

What are the benefits these brakes provide, that is worth the ridiculous level of blast to anyone standing nearby? Obviously they have some benefit, or there would not be that many people investing in them. Is there any way to gain the benefits, without the crazy muzzle blast?

I suspect some here have them and can give me some insight. Since I am a .308 Win convert, more recently getting promiscuous with its 7mm-.08 sister, I doubt I'll ever have a brake on a rifle. But, who knows.

Also, please be careful out at the ranges. I think our range near Bozeman has some really good guys, is set up very well, and provides a safe shooting environment for all but the most foolhardy. Today, another fool started walking down range to hang targets when the firing line was hot. That is the second time this year I have seen people do that. Even when called out for his dangerous actions, he looked as though nothing was wrong.

Kind of freaked me out. I was on the sled, finger to the trigger, ready to fire, when the guy next to me started yelling to stand down. I looked up and the fool was about 40 yards down range, out in front of many live barrels. It would be hard to deal with being in an accident out there, even if it was the fault of some careless guy like that. Not sure if the guy was in such a hurry that he thought it was worth the risk to walk out to the 100 yard boards to hang his target, even with a dozen guys banging targets right next to him. Continued behavior like that is going to have a significant impact on his longevity.

I bought a .338 for an Oryx hunt. Thought a muzzle brake would be a benefit. It does reduce recoil. But, only shooting a few times a year, it has destroyed my hearing!

Muzzle brakes are a ENT doctors dream. If the recoil is to much, downsize the cartridge or buy a rifle that weighs more than 6 lbs!

Every day at the range you have a possibility to witness 'survival of the fittest' in action.

I have a friend that shoots the same A bolt 300 win mag as I do. He fitted it with a break because he would flinch after a few rounds. It kicks like a 270 win now but does suck to share a bench with.
I am pretty sure he regrets it now, just because I give him a hard time every time we go out.
Maybe I just like to be smacked around sometimes but my 300 is a fine rifle.

If you have a 338 that weighs 5#, it'll rock the fillings out of your teeth, hence the breaks. They are simply a recoil management tool that also enable you to spot your shots. The downside is noise.
My hunting rifle (7stw) weighs about 11#, enough weight I can shoot it all day long. As for the groups, not sure what the problem was there other than maybe factory rifles. Mine is mediocre in the accuracy dept but shoots 2" at 400.

None of my guns have a brake. Several years ago I was hunting with a friend that had a brake on a 30.06. He shot at an elk and I was standing to the side about 12ish feet away watching through my binos for a hit. When he shot, I swear I thought I went deaf. My ears rang for the rest of the day.

A gun with a brake may be nice to shoot at the range, But for hunting I wouldn't have one. You cant always take the time to put ear plugs in before a shot opportunity is gone.

Take hearing protection serious. Remember, you can never get back what you lose.

Last edited:
We segregate muzzle breaks to a short segment of the firing line where they are inside a plywood shroud. Let them enjoy the boom radiating around them like mother's milk.

We also send anyone above .400 caliber there as well.

I think they make a gun ugly. I know they cause more of the boom to roll back towards the shooter and anyone who is willing to be near them. I assume they lose hunting buddies as soon as they whip out the boom stick the first time.

YOur guys obviously have production muzzle breaks.. From a shooters position (behind the rifle) a muzzle break reduces the blast of a gun shot. Standing a few feet to either side, it will blow out your eardrums. I spent many years building and designing equipment for the largest manufacturer of automatic cannon in the world, until they sold the line to ATK. An effective muzzle break will channel the blast outward and forward from the shooter. All you need it the right design..

Sounds similar to the guys with black guns that are here in CA. They have brakes/flashiders on their 223s and 300 blackouts, oversized scopes, splatter the paper like a shotgun and at some point can't get their gun to work and need assistance from a range officer.

I hate to bag on the way another guys shoots, but when I see someone with a hunting rifle and they're there to practice/sight in and splatter the paper it makes me cringe a little bit. I can only imagine what happens out in the woods when they pull the trigger.

I can't explain it. A good stock will do more to tame recoil, improve accuracy and lighten the load.

None of my guns have breaks, some can make a rifle look good but id rather hunt without ear plugs....if i want to lower recoil i'll change the recoil pad or stock

Never felt the need for a brake on my .308 or my 30-06.

I went to the range with a buddy who had a brake on his .308 AR. He shot at the space next to me, and I think it rattled my teeth. There is also a member at my club who has a sporterized Moisin (7.62x54R) with a brake. You can feel that thing vibrate in your chest when he shoots, even if he is half way down the line. After that I have doubled up on the earpro whenever I go to the range - never know when some moron is going to show up trying to wake the dead.

I put a limb saver recoil pad on my Ruger 300 win mag and it did wonders for the recoil. I have heard good things about Magna port for accuracy and recoil reduction.

I don't have a break on my rifle but my wife/son have one on their browning abolt in a .270. It has been great for both of them to be able to shoot a caliber large enough to kill elk. Also light enough recoil that they can shot comfortably. I agree thought that the noise sucks but hearing protection is a must. Kawika is probably old enough and big enough that he can handle a gun without a break but I will wait until he decides on what he wants to shoot.

Breaks are a sign that people want more and more power. They can't tolerate the recoil when shooting the giant magnums without them.

The thing I don't like about magnums is the fact that the guns are generally very heavy, and they suck to carry. A twenty year old may not care, but most folks don't enjoy packing around an 11 pound gun all day.

Brakes are just another tool a hunter has access to. Perhaps at times, used flippantly by guys slinging bullets downfield. And for others, maybe reduced recoil is the goal. Agree they are loud as hell and that could be uncomfortable at the range. At the Pyramid Range in Reno, they partition the braked rifles at one end as opposed to interleaved so it's not bad.

I agree with BigFin. I have never liked brakes and have never enjoyed shooting or hunting with people who own a brake. One scary experience that left my ear ringing for three weeks from a .338 with a brake was enough for me. No brakes on any of my guns and I encourage anyone I hunt with to leave them at home.

To answer BigFins question " Are there alternatives to a brake to tame recoil without the deafening effects" The only solution I came up with one my one magnum caliber I own is a suppressor. Extremely effective and safe for everyone to be around. I don't hunt with this gun in Montana, I use a old .308. But it sure is fun to plink rocks with.

Not to bring up the issue of these things in Montana but we are the only western state they are not legal for hunting. The protection for hearing is starting to become recognized by legislators around the country.

Attachments

• IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 781
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back