Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Muzzle brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all part of the latest trend of long range shooting for guys that can't stalk, are too noisy, too out of shape to hike, and can't shoot off-hand; and need to compensate by buying a $1500 rifle and $800 scope.:hump:

I don't see a point to them either. If you can't shoot a cartridge, get a smaller one. Apparently those guys couldn't shoot even with the brake on.

The idiots will always be with us. They've just updated their technology now.

Yes, and the fact that the big guns cost $80/box doesn't help either.

The "hunters" are getting whacked twice - once when they buy the ammo and once when they pull the trigger.

No wonder they can't hit anything.

I just love reading stuff like this. Add 1 more type of hunter to the dislike list. At this point it might be easier to just say you dislike all other hunters.

So people who have guns with a muzzle break are idiots who cant' hit anything?

BTW ammo for some of those is a whole lot more than $80 a box. That will barely cover brass on a 30-378. Most ammo for that caliber is appx $130 a box.

To those hunters who use magnum rifles and have a muzzle brakes. Dont' sweat the hate from these folks. Nothing wrong with having a muzzle brake or a magnum rifle. It's a free country and you dont' need a Montana permission slip to own or shoot one with a brake. The haters gonna hate.

Attachments

• Haters-gonna-hate.jpg
    Haters-gonna-hate.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 252
Its all part of the latest trend of long range shooting for guys that can't stalk, are too noisy, too out of shape to hike, and can't shoot off-hand; and need to compensate by buying a $1500 rifle and $800 scope.:hump:

Yep manufacturers like Leupold are pushing this pretty hard the last few years. You should go tell everyone with a Leupold CDS scope what you think about long range shooting. And boycott manufacturers who are leading this charge by pushing long range shooting equipment and optics.

So clearly they are not legal in all western states except MT as CA and NV are not legal either.

You said they were legal for hunting in Wyoming. They are not, according to that link. They are legal in NV, btw.

I hope one day you find happiness and peace outside of being a DB on the internet.

Last edited:
It seems like more and more people want to be "Long Range" shooters, and perhaps that is pushing the trend as well?

This!!

As a long range shooter, most of us want to do what ever we can to help see impacts in the optic at longer ranges, it makes second shot follow ups much easier. It also allows us to have longer range sessions w/o totally blitzing our shoulders. Breaks are relatively common in Precision Riflery. In .300win/wsm or larger they will wear a break or a suppressor at least 95% of the time, about 50% of the .308's I've encountered have breaks, and have seen breaks on rifles as light as the 6.5mm's. Part of the reason for this is do to the extended range sessions common in Long range shooting. It's not usually 10-20 rounds and go home. Often they are 50-150 rounds a day or more. A .30 cal Magnum can be unbearable without a break on a day like that. Personally, I don't own any rifles with breaks, but certainly understand the benefits of them. To me it's not worth the noise.

As far as Breaks and accuracy. IMHO, breaks do not inherently increase the accuracy potential of a rifle. They can however decrease it, if not installed properly. They will also change point of impact. Some shooters can shoot rifles more accurately with a break than w/o, if they can put up with the increased muzzle blast. Many shooters will flinch just as bad or worse with breaks because of the increased muzzle blast. I know that this is the case for me...

Lots of muzzlebrake haters on here. Scratching my head as many people use those shirts with the padded armpit to be able to withstand a day at the range. Randy, you said that you were "on the sled" preparing to shoot. I assume you are talking about a lead sled. Another recoil reducing tool. I've read a little bit about lead sleds being not good on your rifle stock, as the gun is meant to recoil and slide back relatively freely. I can't imagine putting the butt of your gun up to a brick wall and then firing it is good for the stock.

I recently had my first brake installed on my 7mm. I admit, I'm a puss with recoil and I wanted to be able to spot my own hits at longer range. Money well spent.

If you are wearing hearing protection like you should be, the increased noise won't make a difference. If it does, then buy better hearing protection or double up with plugs and over the ear protection. A non-issue.

So what's not to love about less recoil and quicker acquisition of your target for a follow up shot? You can easily unscrew your muzzle brake (at least mine) when you are hunting, as I prefer not to use hearing protection while I'm hunting. The brakes have nothing to do with accuracy, and there are lots of idiots out there that think bigger is better. They think they need to shoot their whitetail does with 338's and larger. Some guys can't shoot MOA groups with or without a brake, regardless of the caliber.

Also keep in mind Randy that you are at the range with a bunch of weekend warriors, sighting their guns in the day before hunting season...

Last edited:
So clearly they are not legal in all western states except MT as CA and NV are not legal either

There's a common theme to all of your posts, taking the thread off topic and trying to prove your point... Hopefully this current map will end all of your future questions on hunting with suppressors. If not, start your own thread.

PS. I shoot a 300wsm with an aftermarket brake, and I love it. It recoils like a .243 and allows me to shoot steel all day, and take any game around. I have the common courtesy to go as far away from others when possible at the range. Howard Leight makes an ear plug band that goes from your neck to ears in 1 second, and is perfect for hunting situations. It's something we should all be using in the field whether your gun has a brake or not.

Attachments

• silencermapx600.jpg
    silencermapx600.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 362
I think it is due to the gun writers and everyone else hyping the "gotta have big magnums to kill an animal" mentality. When I bought my .300 Win mag I was afraid to shoot it after hearing what everyone said about the magnums. When I finally mustered up the courage I found out the .300 kicks less than my featherweight .270. 90% of the people would probably not go with a break once they realized they can actually shoot a magnum caliber with the correct form and outfitted with a good stock fairly easily.

You said they were legal for hunting in Wyoming. They are not, according to that link. They are legal in NV, btw.

I hope one day you find happiness and peace outside of being a DB on the internet.

And you are back to name calling all because I said that I thought WY allows hunting with suppressors. Funny stuff. Do you always act like this?

You seem to get upset when proven wrong for some reason. Yes they are legal. I'm right, you are wrong. Glad we got that settled.
http://www.guns.com/2013/02/20/wyoming-gov-signs-hunting-with-suppressors-bill-into-law/

I hope one day you find the maturity level to not act like a child on the internet calling people you dont know names. It might help your credibility to act like an adult for a change.

Lots of muzzlebrake haters on here. Scratching my head as many people use those shirts with the padded armpit to be able to withstand a day at the range. Randy, you said that you were "on the sled" preparing to shoot. I assume you are talking about a lead sled. Another recoil reducing tool. I've read a little bit about lead sleds being not good on your rifle stock, as the gun is meant to recoil and slide back relatively freely. I can't imagine putting the butt of your gun up to a brick wall and then firing it is good for the stock.

I recently had my first brake installed on my 7mm. I admit, I'm a puss with recoil and I wanted to be able to spot my own hits at longer range. Money well spent.

If you are wearing hearing protection like you should be, the increased noise won't make a difference. If it does, then buy better hearing protection or double up with plugs and over the ear protection. A non-issue.

So what's not to love about less recoil and quicker acquisition of your target for a follow up shot? You can easily unscrew your muzzle brake (at least mine) when you are hunting, as I prefer not to use hearing protection while I'm hunting. The brakes have nothing to do with accuracy, and there are lots of idiots out there that think bigger is better. They think they need to shoot their whitetail does with 338's and larger. Some guys can't shoot MOA groups with or without a brake, regardless of the caliber.

Also keep in mind Randy that you are at the range with a bunch of weekend warriors, sighting their guns in the day before hunting season...

+!. Excellent points.

When is this guy going to crawl back into that hole he came out of?

I only come out when I see yet another group of hunter being bashed. I have no idea why a handful of folks on here like to bash the way other people hunt but it gets pretty old listening to the elitist talk down to other types of hunting. Between baiting, 4 wheelers, crossbows, muzzleloaders, lighted knocks, magnum rifles, muzzle breaks, etc they pretty much hate all hunters in the USA. You are one of the biggest haters of all. congrats.

Good for Gov. Mead. Apologies for not seeing the 2013 bill.

Still, I pray for you to find happiness outside of arguing on the internet.

Also, you're still wrong about Nevada. I accept your apology in advance.

Sheese, now Big Fin is a hater. If we are taking suggestions on things in need of a suppressor affixed to its muzzle I nominate Roadhunter's head.

What a waste of a good thread.

Ahh. I didn't realize suppressors were legal in all western states except MT. Thanks for the clarification. Amazed that they are legal in California.

No you're not, you're being passive aggressive and looking to draw and argument.

That is what I figured. So whoever said suppressors are legal in all Western states except MT was incorrect. The only state I know they are legal for hunting is WY.

Again, passive aggressive baiting for an argument. Was is that hard to remember you quoted Buglum just three hours prior?

So clearly they are not legal in all western states except MT as CA and NV are not legal either.

Congratulations you received the attention you were crying out for by three passive aggressive comments on the same side topic without once providing support.

You could have just said:

"Buglum, I think you are mistaken about the legality of suppressors or intentionally included California off your list for obvious reasons as they are nut bags. I found this on the internet for your reference, it illustrates the current law for use of suppressors for hunting."

attachment.php

But it's either not in your nature, or you are intentionally trying to draw conflict.

Back on topic folks, or this thread is going down and some people's permission on this site will go with it.

I asked a question, as I was interested. I obviously missed the boat on some of the new trends. So far, only a couple people have added anything toward my question about the growing popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back