Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Muzzle brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion is that if you think you need a muzzle break for hunting, what you probably need is a lower recoiling round (like the 7mm-08).

I will continue to suffer, based on the last 15 years of being exposed to the blast/overpressure associated with the M82A1/M107. I hate those things. God bless you if you like slinging big rounds, but keep it the heck away from me. Just don't get offended if I treat you like you have a bad case of B.O. at the range.

I

Not to bring up the issue of these things in Montana but we are the only western state they are not legal for hunting. The protection for hearing is starting to become recognized by legislators around the country.

Are you saying muzzle breaks are not legal for hunting in Montana?

I remember when I was a kid we had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to get to range and shoot our store-brand 30-30's.

:D

Ahh. I didn't realize suppressors were legal in all western states except MT. Thanks for the clarification. Amazed that they are legal in California.

Last edited:
I don't see a point to them either. If you can't shoot a cartridge, get a smaller one. Apparently those guys couldn't shoot even with the brake on.

The idiots will always be with us. They've just updated their technology now.

I don't see a point to them either. If you can't shoot a cartridge, get a smaller one. Apparently those guys couldn't shoot even with the brake on.

The idiots will always be with us. They've just updated their technology now.

Practice is the only thing that makes you proficient. You can buy the wizz-bangiest thing out there, but unless you can put a few hundred rounds down range a year, you're gonna shoot like a piker.

I think muzzle brakes are more popular because they are an "in" thing right now. Gun ownership has trends like anything else, I suppose. It seems like more and more people want to be "Long Range" shooters, and perhaps that is pushing the trend as well?

A couple of years ago I was out at the range and next to me was a guy with a .338 Lapua with a brake on it. I was wearing hearing protection but the blast was so strong I went home after an hour, pulled the blinds, and went to bed with one of the worst headaches I've ever had. I think a separate area might be nice or the plywood box sounds like a good idea...

Just another division elitist montanans are trying to create.

You guys are some kind of dumb. Here's why we don't want suppressors in-state: When our wives are going after us for spending too much money on spotting scopes, GPS's, etc, we can legitimately say things like "huh?" and "what? I can't hear you." and get away with it.

We can "not hear" when they ask us to do the dishes, walk the cat, change the baby, etc.

I know that we Montanans are well above average in almost every category except for wearing skinny jeans and Ed Hardy shirts, but seriously guys, I didn't think we'd have to spell this one out.

Practice is the only thing that makes you proficient. You can buy the wizz-bangiest thing out there, but unless you can put a few hundred rounds down range a year, you're gonna shoot like a piker.

Yes, and the fact that the big guns cost $80/box doesn't help either.

The "hunters" are getting whacked twice - once when they buy the ammo and once when they pull the trigger.

No wonder they can't hit anything.

Yes, and the fact that the big guns cost $80/box doesn't help either.

The "hunters" are getting whacked twice - once when they buy the ammo and once when they pull the trigger.

No wonder they can't hit anything.

Thank the lord they've not discovered Nitro Express cartridges. :D

They are not legal in California. Hell, not much is anymore

That is what I figured. So whoever said suppressors are legal in all Western states except MT was incorrect. The only state I know they are legal for hunting is WY.

Ahh. I didn't realize suppressors were legal in all western states except MT. Thanks for the clarification. Amazed that they are legal in California.

Just a quick clarification... Suppressors are Legal to own in Montana, it is however Illegal to hunt big game with a suppressor. Montana could use to learn about this. There are other parts of the world where suppressors are Encouraged while hunting.

Last edited:
Ben beat me to the link.

That document is over a year and a half old though, so perhaps things have changed a bit?

The google shows that there has been plenty of legislative activity surrounding the equipment in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back