Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Cleaning a Ceracoated muzzle brake.

std7mag

So i have this new Weatherby Mark V that is Ceracoated a tan color.
The muzzle brake is also Ceracoated.
Which gets pretty carboned, pretty quickly.

I've been using a mixture of Hoppes #9 & Kroil to clean at the range. Some on a paper towel & picked up some pipe cleaners.

And i'm scrubbing the heck outta this thing thinking there has to be a better way, that's still safe on the Ceracoat!

So i'm open to suggestions.

What powder are you using that's building that much carbon? Is it closing up the ports? Building up on the face?
Unless it's effecting it's function I don't think I'd worry about it while at the range.

Cerakote is very chemical resistant, abrasion will eventually get through it. Sonic cleaners work very well, I use either simple green or purple power degreaser. Short of that, hoppes and a stiff toothbrush.

Also, if it wasn't sprayed right it could be a little rough and just hold on the carbon.

I don't get too concerned about carbon in my brakes but when cleaning at the end of the season I've used some carb or brake cleaner on them already and brushed with nylon with no adverse effects. Still doesn't get all of it and I'm not that fastidious to worry about some light carbon on a brake.

Seems like one of those ultrasonic baths with a solvent might work. Get a glass quart jar and put some Hoppes or other preferred cleaner in it and add enough cheap neutral solvent like charcoal starter cap the jar and put it in the bath. Add some water to the bath and have at it. Should work on dies, etc that get unusually dirty.

Like others have stated I don’t worry to much about the build up. I usually clean my rifle barrels every few hundred rounds and the brake at that time also.
Boretech carbon cleaner works great so does their Eliminator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back