Muley Freak in trouble?

Watched a few of the Muley Freak videos about 2 years ago. He shot the wrong Mule Deer in one of them and then proceeded to throw a temper tantrum where he lifted up the deer's head, looked at it, and then just dropped it to the ground in disgust while talking about how It wasn't the buck he thought it was. If I remember correctly, he blamed one of his spotters, but I would have to watch it again to confirm, which I am not doing. It was the most childish thing I have ever seen in a hunting video though.
I'm wondering if, in Idaho court, his attorney will suggest that he sit in the corner and keep quiet.

Well, I'm a big time pheasant hunter but not about to change my handle to "C*ck Freak." Don't need all the added followers lurking on my posts with unfulfilled expectations. I too am a "winner" but unlike Erik Van Derdouche, I don't see any sense in telling the world what everyone already knows. It would just be a waste of digital space. And there I did it anyway. 🤔

Well, I'm a big time pheasant hunter but not about to change my handle to "C*ck Freak." Don't need all the added followers lurking on my posts with unfulfilled expectations. I too am a "winner" but unlike Erik Van Derdouche, I don't see any sense in telling the world what everyone already knows. It would just be a waste of digital space. And there I did it anyway. 🤔
New handle or not, you’ve #EARNED IT

All in favor, say aye.

I might seriously consider getting into this influencer racket ... except I'm a jerk and I know it. No pretending to be something I'm not. I couldn't handle dragging a film crew around with me in the field ... and they sure as hell wouldn't want to be stuck with me.
Same.

Allegedly he "had" permission and then when the landowner found out he shot a buck that someone else was after he "no longer" had permission. Fish and game confiscated the deer and issued him multiple tickets.
If that’s true that’s a shame. I don’t have any of my permissions in writing, but dang, maybe if you’re gonna post the video publicly that would be a good move.

Well this isn’t a bash that other forum thread, it’s a bash MuleyFreak thread…

I will say, I appreciate the fact that around here I can crap on Leupold/mystery ranch/GoHunt whatever and not get put in the penalty box or be censored.
I’ve bashed two of those, and have no experience with the third. Never have I had anything deleted or said to me about it. So I can second your experience.

If that’s true that’s a shame. I don’t have any of my permissions in writing, but dang, maybe if you’re gonna post the video publicly that would be a good move.
I have the video on Instagram but don’t know how to post it here.

If you want it message me your IG handle and I’ll gladly send it.
I don’t use any social media unless HT counts.

I also didn’t mean “if it’s true that he said it”. I believe you that you heard him say it. I meant it would be a shame if the land owner gave him permission, and then revoked it after the fact.

These wannabe celebs will do anything for more fame and likes! Heard another one(MuleyCrazyFreak) just got nailed with a felony.

Here is what was posted along with other info on another forum

“For those following this.

Jury trial ended in Utah last night. Guilty of 3rd degree Felony. Sentencing in February. Arizona trial still to come.”

Last edited:
I think the defendant outfitter's ship is sunk. He is not alleging that they unknowingly chased the wounded buck across the border. This would seem to be the more difficult defense for prosecution to overcome. Prosecutors must already have solid proof Hatch did know where they were. Any outfitter should know there is no problem pursuing wounded game into another jurisdiction ... as long as that jurisdiction's authorities have been contacted first. However, the hunter must be able to prove the animal was in fact wounded in the other jurisdiction. Sounds like that is a problem for Mr. Hatch. Presumably witnesses only heard one shot fired. How many holes were in the carcass? This is likely another problem for the defendants. If there's only evidence of one shot hitting the animal, it likely will be difficult to prove it wandered any distance. The location of the wound(s) may indicate it died instantly or too quickly to have run across the border into Utah. I presume Hatch knew the enemy outfitter was also operating in the vicinity. Should have kept his ducks in a row. Not contacting the Utah authorities before or, more importantly, after killing the buck was the mistake that will get him busted. No excuse for that. Maybe gut the buck if the weather is warm, but do nothing else till Utah LE is notified. Instead, he proceeds to quarter it up to remove evidence as quickly as possible. Only one reason for that. They poached the deer.

Last edited:
I think the defendant outfitter's ship is sunk. He is not alleging that they unknowingly chased the wounded buck across the border. This would seem to be the more difficult defense for prosecution to overcome. Prosecutors must already have solid proof Hatch did know where they were. Any outfitter should know there is no problem pursuing wounded game into another jurisdiction ... as long as that jurisdiction's authorities have been contacted first. However, the hunter must be able to prove the animal was in fact wounded in the other jurisdiction. Sounds like that is a problem for Mr. Hatch. Presumably witnesses only heard one shot fired. How many holes were in the carcass? This is likely another problem for the defendants. If there's only evidence of one shot hitting the animal, it likely will be difficult to prove it wandered any distance. The location of the wound(s) may indicate it died instantly or too quickly to have run across the border into Utah. I presume Hatch knew the enemy outfitter was also operating in the vicinity. Should have kept his ducks in a row. Not contacting the Utah authorities before or, more importantly, after killing the buck was the mistake that will get him busted. No excuse for that. Maybe gut the buck if the weather is warm, but do nothing else till Utah LE is notified. Instead, he proceeds to quarter it up to remove evidence as quickly as possible. Only one reason for that. They poached the deer.
I think they were found guilty yesterday?
sentencing is next??
“”
For those following this.
Jury trial ended in Utah last night. Guilty of 3rd degree Felony. Sentencing in February. Arizona trial still to come.
SIXTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT-Kanab MANDY LARSEN December 09, 2022 Friday 09:00 AM 1 TRIAL-JURY WLR 211600067 State Felony STATE OF UTAH ATTY: VAN DYKE, ROBERT STOTT, JEFFREY VS. HAMBERLIN, ALAN DUDLEY ATTY: LAW, GREG OTN: DOB: 10/13/1948 F3 - WANTON DESTRUCTION OF PROTECTED WILDLIFE - 10/26/20 SHERIFF #: LEA #: 20-003571> NO OTN NUMBER < ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 2 TRIAL-JURY WLR 211600066 State Felony STATE OF UTAH ATTY: VAN DYKE, ROBERT STOTT, JEFFREY VS. HATCH, RYAN SCOTT ATTY: FLINT, EDWARD OTN: 48271811 DOB: 09/17/1966 F3 - WANTON DESTRUCTION OF PROTECTED WILDLIFE - 10/26/20 MA - OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE - 10/26/20””

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back