Muley Freak in trouble?

Ask Brian "Gritty" Call about not getting filming permits.

Wish enforcement was a lot tighter, but given the budgets these entities are working with, I can't blame them.
When I started working for the forest service, the Forest I was on had 6 people working in the lands department. They do special use permits, right-of-ways, land exchanges and acquisition, water rights, and anything else that had to do with land use laws. When I retired there were 2 people there and one of them spent 100% of his time dealing with everything involved in a proposed gas pipeline that would be crossing public lands. Three years before I retired there was only 1 person, but he was lucky enough to have money in his budget to hire someone for six months to help. The guy that took that job was in my survey department and wanted to broaden his horizons by trying new things. He later told me that he spent the whole six months doing nothing but issuing and inspecting special use permits. So, it is a full-time job done by a person that can only devote a small fraction of his time to doing it.

no joke. i'd be 100% in favor of a commercial take permit that has to be received from a state agency.

nothing changes about how you get tags. but if you're producing content you have to receive an additional commercial take permit to go along with your tag.

blanket cost per species. need a permit per tag. let's start at $5,000.

you shoot anything on your legally obtained tag and it ends up in commercial/income creating content and you don't have the permit it's a 10k fine. second offense is loss of privilege's in said state.

the federal film permit will never get fixed. the states need to get on this.
I'd vote for you

no joke. i'd be 100% in favor of a commercial take permit that has to be received from a state agency.

nothing changes about how you get tags. but if you're producing content you have to receive an additional commercial take permit to go along with your tag.

you shoot anything on your legally obtained tag and it ends up in commercial/income creating content and you don't have the permit it's a 10k fine. second offense is loss of privilege's in said state.

I like this, I like this a lot

don't get hasty, you might hate the rest of my ideas!

but for real. the cost for commercializing and profiting off of public trust assets should be, well, costly. i've been hinting at this with the CPW commission. and i'm not going to stop.

5k is too low.

next stop, outfitters.
don't get hasty, you might hate the rest of my ideas!

but for real. the cost for commercializing and profiting off of public trust assets should be, well, costly. i've been hinting at this with the CPW commission. and i'm not going to stop.

5k is too low.

next stop, outfitters.
I’d support it. This rampant monetization of western hunting by social media/YouTube hunting influencers isn’t making the situation better. Clearly there are a few good ones out there making a strong case for conservation but they seem to be greatly outnumbered by the self-promoting flatbill douche canoes.

Some states are already on it. Montana does not allow commerical filming on WMAs without permission and permit, which is hard to come by. I can't tell you how many hunts and other activities I see filmed on WMAs. Other states do have their rules/fees/permits, such as Oregon State Forests.

I've grown numb to the idea that it is single-digit compliance when it comes to film permits, whether state or federal. Here is a quick screen shot of a portion of our film permit fees for 2022 with the USFS. I will give the USFS credit that they have tried to streamline the system some. yet for some reason, USFS Region 1 is way behind on that curve.

Good luck getting anything enforced. It's like a lot of things. Some folks follow the rules and some don't.

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 7.52.22 AM.png

Some states are already on it. Montana does not allow commerical filming on WMAs without permission and permit, which is hard to come by. I can't tell you how many hunts and other activities I see filmed on WMAs. Other states do have their rules/fees/permits, such as Oregon State Forests.

I've grown numb to the idea that it is single-digit compliance when it comes to film permits, whether state or federal. Here is a quick screen shot of a portion of our film permit fees for 2022 with the USFS. I will give the USFS credit that they have tried to streamline the system some. yet for some reason, USFS Region 1 is way behind on that curve.

Good luck getting anything enforced. It's like a lot of things. Some folks follow the rules and some don't.

View attachment 255037

i was actually just typing up thoughts wondering roughly what your annual total costs were for film permits. i swear you mentioned it in a video once, to the tune of 10k+?

but i see two prongs to this: the american public needs to be compensated for commercial activity on their public lands. states should be compensated for commercial activity affecting their wildlife and in this example, the taking of that wildlife. doesn't matter who owns the land. the state owns the wildlife and someone is killing it for profit. why aren't the states compensated for this?

maybe they were compensated in the tag fee. but i think the implications of profitable hunting activities go beyond that warranting extra compensation.

seems stateside enforceability might be easier.

View attachment 255037
What is your rough turnaround time on getting a permit issued? For example if you submitted application for one the first week of October would you have it in hand mid-late November?

What is your rough turnaround time on getting a permit issued? For example if you submitted application for one the first week of October would you have it in hand mid-late November?
It depends on a lot of factors; their work load, fire season, new or experienced employees, etc.

We start working on ours as quick as we know we have a tag. Most take 6-12 weeks, but some can get done in a week if the person is experienced and not over loaded.

If a film permit thread is helpful, someone should start a separate thread. I’d be happy to chime in.

Keep this thread related to Muley Freak and his rap sheet.

i was actually just typing up thoughts wondering roughly what your annual total costs were for film permits. i swear you mentioned it in a video once, to the tune of 10k+?

but i see two prongs to this: the american public needs to be compensated for commercial activity on their public lands. states should be compensated for commercial activity affecting their wildlife and in this example, the taking of that wildlife. doesn't matter who owns the land. the state owns the wildlife and someone is killing it for profit. why aren't the states compensated for this?

maybe they were compensated in the tag fee. but i think the implications of profitable hunting activities go beyond that warranting extra compensation.

seems stateside enforceability might be easier.
Work on grazing permit fees next.

You would then have to legally define what a "influencer" is.

You heard the boss. I’m equally interested in all the side bars but let’s focus on Muley Freak aka trespassing freak!
I'm not sure if ya'll heard, but Eric Van Woerkom of MuleyFreak fame got busted on 10/22 for misdemeanor trespass and FELONIOS posession of a game animal...

We're up to #5 on the MuleyFreak Erik Poaching google results. Good work you freak-nasty beotches!

I'm not sure if ya'll heard, but Eric Van Woerkom of MuleyFreak fame got busted on 10/22 for misdemeanor trespass and FELONIOS posession of a game animal...

We're up to #5 on the MuleyFreak Erik Poaching google results. Good work you freak-nasty beotches!
Does it work to just keep quoting or do I need to peck it out too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back