Yeti GOBOX Collection

Mule Deer need hunters' help

Climate change, unregulated development, broken migration corridors and overharvest all have a part to play in the decline, but it's the habitat that matters.

You discredit yourself when you say the words climate change as a reason. The climate has been changing since day one.

Nothing in the aoove about whether or not man can control the climate. Do you disagree that climate change can negatively affect species?

Nothing in the aoove about whether or not man can control the climate. Do you disagree that climate change can negatively affect species?

I have read enough from Ben that I believe he thinks that. I could be wrong though.

Climate change can negatively and positively affect species. Remember that the woolly mammoth used to love Montana and the Dakotas.

I have read enough from Ben that I believe he thinks that. I could be wrong though.

Climate change can negatively and positively affect species. Remember that the woolly mammoth used to love Montana and the Dakotas.

Bless your heart.

We have hunted the Missouri Breaks for decades now I guess. The really big drop happened there after the big snow year three winters ago, I think. The next fall we saw almost no deer at all. Elk and antelope were way down too. In western MT the forests are just not healthy. I have a moose tag for the NW corner and have been up there scouting. The amount of deadfall and just jumbled up mess in the woods is ridiculous. After talking to the biologist they talk about looking for the most recent clearcuts, because that's where all the game is. Well let me tell you there ain't many of those anymore! With the end of logging and without fires there is no place for feed. I really don't think it's all that complicated. It's Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one. IMHO

Climate change is a large factor in this as well as fires, freezing rain, hard winters, no rain, blue tongue and hunting....etc.etc.etc.

Well we can't control any of those EXCEPT hunting....so how about we put a stop to hunting for 3 years for mule deer?

All this doom & Gloom. Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

WWTRD.

il_570xN.359130875_po0l.jpg

Why don't you keep your opinions in Indiana. ;) :D
Ha! Not the first time I've been told to keep my thoughts to myself.

You do have to find it interesting that when there were more sheep on the mountain there were more deer! I have a few ideas as to why, but I'll just keep them in Indiana... :D

Ha! Not the first time I've been told to keep my thoughts to myself.

You do have to find it interesting that when there were more sheep on the mountain there were more deer! I have a few ideas as to why, but I'll just keep them in Indiana... :D

I actually probably agree with your ideas, but that's no good reason to bring domestics back. ;)

We will never see the "good ol' days" for mule deer again in CO, even if you use 2006 for reference. CPW is managing for lower numbers now, which the average hunter doesn't even realize.

2006 CPW population objective west of I-25: 583,870
2006 post hunt population estimate w of I-25: 579,600

2013 population objective west of I-25: 511,450
2013 post hunt population estimate: 353,510

Climate change has been around since day one. How long have mule deer been around? About 7,000-14,000 years? What does the last 14,000 years look like on your graph? That would be more relevant.

Depending on your beliefs, Climate change didn't start until after the flood. And deer have been around since Day 6.:D

Climate change is a large factor in this as well as fires, freezing rain, hard winters, no rain, blue tongue and hunting....etc.etc.etc.

Well we can't control any of those EXCEPT hunting....so how about we put a stop to hunting for 3 years for mule deer?

I think cutting back tags and eliminating doe harvest for a couple of years would help tremendously. It's working for the antelope down my way. They didn't eliminate the doe tags, but cut them by over half.

I actually probably agree with your ideas, but that's no good reason to bring domestics back. ;)

We will never see the "good ol' days" for mule deer again in CO, even if you use 2006 for reference. CPW is managing for lower numbers now, which the average hunter doesn't even realize.

2006 CPW population objective west of I-25: 583,870
2006 post hunt population estimate w of I-25: 579,600

2013 population objective west of I-25: 511,450
2013 post hunt population estimate: 353,510
I just like to bring the sheep thing up as too many folks don't quite get that correlation doesn't equal causation. As you know sheep and deer like the same kinds of groceries. Managing vegetation to produce forage for one benefits the others.

Lots of habitat/forage work would be the first step IMO. I'd like to see drip torches, range drills, and chains brought out and put to work at a scale that would scare lots of folks. Up until about 1960 the BLM alone was treating about 1 million acres annually! That's the scale I think things have to happen to really help mule deer. Many good projects being done but red tape, politics, funding, and litigation are keeping the scale too small.

Lots of habitat/forage work would be the first step IMO. I'd like to see drip torches, range drills, and chains brought out and put to work at a scale that would scare lots of folks. Up until about 1960 the BLM alone was treating about 1 million acres annually! That's the scale I think things have to happen to really help mule deer. Many good projects being done but red tape, politics, funding, and litigation are keeping the scale too small.

I like that. When Harley gets elected President, you are my nominee for Secretary of Interior.

I agree with all the above mentioned contributors to the decline but for too many years the bios have had rose colored glasses on. I feel the biggest distraction has been the wolf. Seemed for years on end all they could talk about at the meetings was wolves and elk. In the meantime the deer where dropping annually while the permit/tag numbers stayed relatively the same. I almost feel we are a point that we need to stop hunting them for about 5 years and hope that at least that effort along with the habitat improvements can help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleyhunter456
Back