PEAX Equipment

Free hunting social media is not free

Pucky Freak

Following hunting influencers on social media platforms does not require a fee. Neither does watching influencer content on Youtube. However, both actions cost us access to quality hunting, and drive up costs of licenses, tags, and points.
IMG_4225.jpg

Hunter recruitment will soon be the bane of hunters' existence, if it is not already. Huntable acres in America accessible to anyone but the wealthy are in continuous decline due to habitat loss and degradation, human population migration to rural areas, residential development (ranchettes and subdivisions), decline of legacy ranching and farming, hunting leases, outfitter welfare, erosion of the NA model of wildlife conservation, and the monetization of game animals.

Meanwhile, boosting total hunter hours afield per year is a goal of all entities in the illustration above. Ostensibly, the purposes of this goal is to fund wildlife conservation efforts, and maintain a cadre of politically-active ambassadors for wildlife conservation. While it is arguable that hunter recruitment is advancing these purposes, increased total hunter hours afield per year is producing other consequences for hunters, habitat, and wildlife. As huntable acres decline and total hunter hours afield per year increase, human recreation hours are concentrated in smaller areas, resulting in wildlife population decreases, and degraded wildlife habitat. Furthermore, hunter satisfaction declines due to crowding, increased distance to travel to hunt, and increased cost to hunt out of state.

Personally, I prefer to have robust wildlife populations, quality wildlife habitat, less crowding, less distance required to travel to hunt, and affordable NR hunting opportunities. Here are some possible actions a hunter can take to curb recruitment:

-Unfollow hunting influencers on social media platforms. Hunting gear manufacturers fund influencers based on the number of followers they have, and the more hunting influencers get gear/funding, the more animals they need to kill to keep the money flowing.
-Limit or eliminate watching media content published by hunting influencers
-Stop giving money to hunting nonprofits that fund recruitment. Most hunting nonprofits engage in worthy conservation work, so an alternative is voicing a desire within the organization to end recruitment.
-Buy less hunting gear. Money spent on hunting gear funnels back to recruitment so the companies can make more sales.
-Put the pressure on G&F agencies to cease funding hunting influencers to promote hunting opportunities. Also refrain from purchasing tags, stamps, licenses, and permits that won't be used.

Of course it is also helpful for hunters to engage directly in habitat work and creating/maintaining affordable places to hunt. Another significant factor in the human saturation in wildlife habitat equation is the enormous impact of so-called "non-consumptive" outdoor recreationalists. It's likely worthwhile to be involved in social and political measures to regulate all types of recreational use to allow more space for wild places to retain a greater degree of wildness.

Really well said. Thanks for writing it.

There's also this aspect I often think about, that I really haven't fleshed out in my head, of hunter recruitment, and thus crowding, somehow amplifying the commercialization of our wildlife - incentivizing it through more than one avenue.

I think people should contact their game and fish departments about their charter. Is it to protect and manage the wildlife, or promote license sales and improve revenue?

What are you gonna do about the Colorado wildlife commission? Or you gonna be too busy filling all the tags you can suddenly draw when all the boomers die to fool with it?

It's simple math. The USFWS adds up all the hunting licenses bought in all the states. The number is getting smaller. Maybe some places, it isn't getting smaller or is even increasing, making a tag that YOU want harder to draw. But if you can convince yourself that participation in hunting isn't declining because you can't draw a tag that you want...well, it makes me think you might just be thinking about yourself.

I'm not wild about a lot of stuff I see on the internet, but pretending that hunting doesn't need new blood ain't it...

Now that hunting opportunity has become saturated, raw hunter numbers are a function of available quality hunting experiences. Iowa had a very high number of hunter hours in the early to mid 1800's with market and subsistence hunting. As game populations were driven to extinction, the number of hunter hours per year tanked. Starting in the 1930's we brought back waterfowl, deer, and turkey, and hunter participation ballooned. In the 1980's and 90's there was very high hunter participation as there were good game populations, and the 97% of our total land that is private could be accessed by a knock on the farmer's door. The 1980's farm crisis, mechanization, decline of legacy farming, soaring ag land values, and quality deer management, among other factors, has sharply curtailed opportunity. I know dozens, if not hundreds of Iowans in their late 40's to late 60's who quit hunting due to lost access.

Iowa is a microcosm of what is now taking place across the US. It used to be that lack of GIS technology, logistical limitations, and low human population in western states meant that there were many game populations that were hunted very sparingly. Today there are no secrets, and it's easier than ever to hunt everything everywhere. All hunter recruitment efforts in the US could be abruptly ended today, and it would not make one damn bit of difference in the number of hunter participation hours five or ten years from now. It's the field of dreams, man. Open 10,000 acres to habitat access program, or turn over a parcel from RMEF to public ownership, and within twelve months you'll have more hunter participation hours per year. No advertisement and recruitment required.

Gear companies pump recruitment to sell gear. That merry-go-round is going to stop before too long and they'll be competing directly with one another rather than competing for new resident hunters to travel out of state to pursue different species. Nonprofits pump recruitment because their corporate sponsors pay them to. Game and fish pump recruitment to farm raise pheasants and air drop rainbows into mountain lakes.

I'll have 14 tags this year, which is fantastic. Will I be able to do that in 25 years? Probably not. That's why I have 1 bonus point in 1 state. I get an adrenaline rush chasing tree squirrels and have for 25 years, and probably will for 25 more. There's a false narrative that existing hunters want fewer hunters so they can draw tags and see fewer rigs at the trailhead. Baloney. Someone can want that all day long, and it's NEVER going to happen. Nevertheless, we can choose to quit feeding the commercialization monster and showcasing $30k ranch hunts to entice the Joe Rogan fanboys to buy a $6 elk blood fizzy drink and $1000 on elkfit boot camp ticket.

Man, these 2 threads were posted at amazingly close times

i find myself wondering though that sometimes i see that the likely bigger threat to hunting is it's very legality. in that sense i think we all can agree there is no greater weapon in defense of that than a large coalition of well informed, impassioned, ethical hunters.

i know matt rinella would disagree. he think's if we stay quiet public perception won't shift. i think he's wrong. the people attacking hunting don't need bad influencers to negatively shift public perception in pursuit of their anti hunting agenda; the bad influencers are just helpful to their cause. the anti hunting coalition will continue to successfully attack and stack wildlife commissions and push ballot initiatives regardless of the existence social media, hunting influencers, and hunting TV.

i like hunt quietly and it's mission. but absent amending the lacey act to somehow include the prohibition of any sort of profit made off legally harvested animals i don't see the cat going back in the bag.

i often think we might be better off putting effort towards steering this ship than in futility trying to stop it.

Man, these 2 threads were posted at amazingly close times
2x2jm9.jpg

Newberg is one of the most gracious personalities in the field when it comes to airing alternative views, otherwise I would have been booted off here a long time ago. The guy believes very strongly in his formula for boosting wildlife advocacy and the jury is out on where the chips fall on that one. His platform has boosted my political involvement, $$ contributed, and awareness of these issues about 90% so at N=1 there's definitely traction.

i find myself wondering though that sometimes i see that the likely bigger threat to hunting is it's very legality. in that sense i think we all can agree there is no greater weapon in defense of that than a large coalition of well informed, impassioned, ethical hunters.

i know matt rinella would disagree. he think's if we stay quiet public perception won't shift. i think he's wrong. the people attacking hunting don't need bad influencers to negatively shift public perception in pursuit of their anti hunting agenda; the bad influencers are just helpful to their cause. the anti hunting coalition will continue to successfully attack and stack wildlife commissions and push ballot initiatives regardless of the existence social media, hunting influencers, and hunting TV.

i like hunt quietly and it's mission. but absent amending the lacey act to somehow include the prohibition of any sort of profit made off legally harvested animals i don't see the cat going back in the bag.

i often think we might be better off putting effort towards steering this ship than in futility trying to stop it.
I see a ton of variation depending on what state it is. Colorado, Washington, etc., are fighting the public opinion battle, whereas somewhere like Wyoming, Montana, Alabama, Iowa...local threats from anti's are quite insignificant. Since we're all living in the same fishbowl though, we're looking at a cascade of new pressure when the dominoes begin to fall. I won't be the least bit surprised to see WA plates at the trailhead in MT for spring bear.

I see a ton of variation depending on what state it is. Colorado, Washington, etc., are fighting the public opinion battle, whereas somewhere like Wyoming, Montana, Alabama, Iowa...local threats from anti's are quite insignificant. Since we're all living in the same fishbowl though, we're looking at a cascade of new pressure when the dominoes begin to fall. I won't be the least bit surprised to see WA plates at the trailhead in MT for spring bear.

but, to paraphrase the movie industry: public opinion battles, coming to a state near you!

on a countrywide level tolerance of firearms continues to decrease, care for animal welfare/rights continues to increase, and meat consumption is decreasing. i think the logic behind most of it is batshit, but it's reality.

as i've said on another thread, my magic eight ball seems stuck cause every time i shake it: outlook not so good.

I think Social media and Broadcasting of Hunting is going to continue regardless of whether is is good for our beloved pastime or not.

it is up to us to Vote with OUR $ with those high profile hunting entertainers to be sure the best message is being put out on our behalf. Really someone in NYC is less likely to meet Joe Meathunter in person than watch Steven Rinella explain the NA Model of Wildlife management broadcasting on Television and Youtube. The Market will self regulate in the long run, which is Really longer than our lifetime...

Now that hunting opportunity has become saturated, raw hunter numbers are a function of available quality hunting experiences. Iowa had a very high number of hunter hours in the early to mid 1800's with market and subsistence hunting. As game populations were driven to extinction, the number of hunter hours per year tanked. Starting in the 1930's we brought back waterfowl, deer, and turkey, and hunter participation ballooned. In the 1980's and 90's there was very high hunter participation as there were good game populations, and the 97% of our total land that is private could be accessed by a knock on the farmer's door. The 1980's farm crisis, mechanization, decline of legacy farming, soaring ag land values, and quality deer management, among other factors, has sharply curtailed opportunity. I know dozens, if not hundreds of Iowans in their late 40's to late 60's who quit hunting due to lost access.

Iowa is a microcosm of what is now taking place across the US. It used to be that lack of GIS technology, logistical limitations, and low human population in western states meant that there were many game populations that were hunted very sparingly. Today there are no secrets, and it's easier than ever to hunt everything everywhere. All hunter recruitment efforts in the US could be abruptly ended today, and it would not make one damn bit of difference in the number of hunter participation hours five or ten years from now. It's the field of dreams, man. Open 10,000 acres to habitat access program, or turn over a parcel from RMEF to public ownership, and within twelve months you'll have more hunter participation hours per year. No advertisement and recruitment required.

Gear companies pump recruitment to sell gear. That merry-go-round is going to stop before too long and they'll be competing directly with one another rather than competing for new resident hunters to travel out of state to pursue different species. Nonprofits pump recruitment because their corporate sponsors pay them to. Game and fish pump recruitment to farm raise pheasants and air drop rainbows into mountain lakes.

I'll have 14 tags this year, which is fantastic. Will I be able to do that in 25 years? Probably not. That's why I have 1 bonus point in 1 state. I get an adrenaline rush chasing tree squirrels and have for 25 years, and probably will for 25 more. There's a false narrative that existing hunters want fewer hunters so they can draw tags and see fewer rigs at the trailhead. Baloney. Someone can want that all day long, and it's NEVER going to happen. Nevertheless, we can choose to quit feeding the commercialization monster and showcasing $30k ranch hunts to entice the Joe Rogan fanboys to buy a $6 elk blood fizzy drink and $1000 on elkfit boot camp ticket.
You're on a website, owned by a guy, who does podcasts, shows, ads, etc, that the very website has...this very website and the very owner..are the commercialization you speak of.

Irony?
View attachment 291908

Newberg is one of the most gracious personalities in the field when it comes to airing alternative views, otherwise I would have been booted off here a long time ago. The guy believes very strongly in his formula for boosting wildlife advocacy and the jury is out on where the chips fall on that one. His platform has boosted my political involvement, $$ contributed, and awareness of these issues about 90% so at N=1 there's definitely traction.

Pick a side, damn. Should we or shouldn't we, or is it like Facebook is ok, but tiktok bad? I'm of the gimme my password to MySpace with buckcherry rocking out, no complained about Tom.

Is it envy towards the $30k hunts and because Randy's hunt style is the $3k variety, something most can stomach more than $30k, that's OK?

I enjoy hunting, I enjoy watching it. I enjoy the tech around it. I enjoy the advancements of it. I enjoy the hedonistic approach. I enjoy being out.

HOWEVER, without the 'commercialization monster', our bags would be duffels sewn to jansports and screwed to bent EMT. We wouldn't have Ti stoves, tipis, cheap tack drivers, good glass, warm gear AND be able to move without looking like the Michelin man or a hick from buenie iowa in shit covered coveralls.

Thousands x whatever of peoples lives wouldn't have changed from the economic impact alone. From brass and ammo, sewing, taxidermy, guiding, restaurants, liquor stores, and on and on.

You wouldn't have this forum, rokslide, 24...well 24 would probably still exist somehow...

Your pack

Your 14 tags

Fancy boots

Hate it all you want, but your body thanks the monster that is. Your ability to hunt 14 tags, without knowing where and what, probably wasn't available readily to our parents, and in part is thanks to the commercialization.

Not to mention we have less hunters today, than 1970s.

SmartSelect_20230911_154414_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230911_154522_Chrome.jpg

The chief complaints are emotional which make the arguement dumb. You (the general) don't like someone else dipping their balls (hunting) in your girl (unit/wma/etc). She's not courting you. She's out having fun, and you think she's your girl.

I rarely hunt private anymore, as predicted hunts are boring. I'm right at 10miles/week on public currently, and that'll increase until Feb 2024. Squirrel, turkey, deer, pheasant, rabbit, trout, coyote. I've hunted nearly shoulder to shoulder with the hmong up north. Cityslickers during my time in Central iowa. "Bone collectors" in southern Iowa. Bible thumpers in NW. I've not once complained seeing other hunters in the field. Packed or empty parking lot, I get the same rush: "I'm here to succeed in the face of the elements and obstructions, and if I can't, I will have gained knowledge, wisdom and memories from my time afield".

My frustrations in the field are 10/10 on me. When I'm good, I'm 17/20 at trap. When I'm not in it, I'll break 10, maybe 12. It has nothing to do with the guy next to me shooting a $3k gun or an H&R single. New guys or circuit guys.

Their presence in the field forces me to be a better hunter, not a bigger whiner about how we should allocate field hours per hunter and who should be allowed to do what financially.

And losing access and hundreds quitting hunting in iowa. Theyre lazy. Plain and simple. Cut em from your life unless you want their level of complacency. Grove can teach you something there.

Everyone blames the journey when they arrive at the destination with a poor attitude.

To end. Here's iowa hunter participation through the years, so when its countered with too many hunters then yesteryear (note-the sharp drop offs were economic recessions (in the 80s to 90s, the saying was "last one turn off the lights") for iowa, unless someone can point out mass public land sales I'm not aware of)
SmartSelect_20230911_162835_Chrome.jpg

Although that would be pretty difficult to quantify.

Although that would be pretty difficult to quantify.
I'd like to see the graph of huntable acres since the 1970s. I'd be willing to bet that the amount of land available to hunt for the average hunter has declined at a greater rate than the number of hunters since the 1970s.
I'll take a look tonight, see if there's anything out there to quantify

This is what I could dig up.
NatureAmerica-fig1-693.png
The human footprint in the continental United States grew by more than 24 million acres from 2001 to 2017—equivalent to the loss of roughly a football field worth of natural area every 30 seconds. The South and Midwest experienced the steepest losses of natural area in this period; the footprints of cities, farms, roads, power plants, and other human development in these two regions grew to cover 47 percent and 59 percent of all land area, respectively. If national trends continue, a South Dakota-sized expanse of forests, wetlands, and wild places in the continental United States will disappear by 2050.
I couldn't find anything farther back. If there are fewer places to hunt R3 is totally futile. I wish we could take a 'build it and they will come' approach to recruiting new hunters by spending resources to secure hunting access.

R3 seems more of a strategy to sell s*tka.

https://www.americanprogress.org/article/much-nature-america-keep/

I'd like to see the graph of huntable acres since the 1970s. I'd be willing to bet that the amount of land available to hunt for the average hunter has declined at a greater rate than the number of hunters since the 1970s.
I don't think it's only that. I think back in the day most guys hunted around home. Like over 90% hunted family or friends farm or ranches for a couple weekends a year to fill a tag or two for the year especially here in the Midwest. Now if you don't hunt every single weekend for 6 months straight and post it all to the gram are you even a real hunter? Less hunters doing way more hunting is what I think it boils down to.

There's 2 numbers that matter in my opinion. Hunters/huntable acre and hunters/population.

The first is increasing and the second decreasing. You can blame whatever you want to for whatever you want to claim is happening to the numerator, but you're not going to be able to control either denominator. If the population stabilizes, then you can do something about huntable acres. Otherwise, people have to have somewhere to live and something to eat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back