Yeti GOBOX Collection

MT shoulder season decision...

Looks like Mule Deer in region 3 are also being declared war on. 'HDs 302, 320,
322, 325, 326,328, 330, 331, and 333 are proposed to be either sex mule all of rifle season with an A tag.

Also HDs400/401/403/404/405/406/410/411/412/413/417/419/421/422/
423/426/432/442/444/445/447//450/471

This is difficult to decipher. I live in 335, so when I read this:

Am I to understand that:
1) They would like to go to cow tag that takes into consideration 215,318,394, and 335 and create one cow tag for all those, no longer having cow tags specific to those HDs alone?
2)What does non-youth holders may not hunt antlered elk in any of these HD's mean. No more bull elk off general tag in any of those areas?

Sounds like more (essentially) cow only districts. I think they do this to discourage outfitting. 580 was like that but they had a few permits for bulls.

Randy, where are you getting the info on deer and the elk pdf?

Sounds like more (essentially) cow only districts. I think they do this to discourage outfitting. 580 was like that but they had a few permits for bulls.

Randy, where are you getting the info on deer and the elk pdf?

http://fwp.mt.gov/doingBusiness/insideFwp/commission/meetings/agenda.html?meetingId=37238843

Nameless- I'm pretty sure they're saying that's only if you hold the B tag. Most of region 2 is written that way, and I highly doubt they're getting rid of bull hunting in most the region.

Last edited:
HD 217 – New HD: A new HD created from the north part of HD 212 between Douglas Cr. and Rock Cr.
Establish Shoulder Season
Establish 217-00 OTC B-licenses valid 8/15/16 to 1/15/17
Establish 217-20 either sex permits (quota 100, range 5-200) valid in archery and
general season
Establish 217-21 either sex permits for youth only (quota 25, range 5-200) valid in
archery and general season
Establish General License for HD 217 as follows:
ArchEquip only for antlerless elk 8/15-1/15
No general firearms season
Youth opportunity any weapon for antlerless elk 8/15 to 1/15.

Would you guys read this as a unit wide open season on cows from 8/15-1/15, to anyone willing to pay for the OTC cow tag? I'm really hoping there was supposed to be a 'Private land only' left out of there somewhere.

The way I understand this the new 217 is all private.

Unless you're seeing something I'm not, this new unit is the same as the subunit that they've been managing separately from 212 with LE bull tags for the last two years. It's probably 50% National Forest.

I'm actually quite confused about all of this. I would definitely be interested in coming up for one of these cow tags and maybe meet up with a HTer or two, but I can't keep up with all of this legislature. Can somebody simplify this for me please?

Unless you're seeing something I'm not, this new unit is the same as the subunit that they've been managing separately from 212 with LE bull tags for the last two years. It's probably 50% National Forest.

I don't know the unit, only going by what s landowner within the unit told me.

I'm actually quite confused about all of this. I would definitely be interested in coming up for one of these cow tags and maybe meet up with a HTer or two, but I can't keep up with all of this legislature. Can somebody simplify this for me please?

John,

Shoulder seasons are an attempt by the agency to comply with a law passed in 2003 that mandates the legislature manage "at or below" objectives for big game animals. That has been compounded by directives from the Governor's office to find ways to better manage elk while improving landowner/sportsmen relationships, even more legislative influence, and a lot of complaining by ranchers who feel that they have too many elk wintering on their places.
the seasons are valid this year in some Region 4 hunt districts and will be open until February 15. You can hunt on private, DNRC State Trust Lands & BLM lands but not National Forest or Wildlife Management Areas.

You can theoretically take up to two elk if you have your A tag and a leftover 004-00 B tag (I have both). Phone lines have been swamped and it is expected many Montanans will participate in the shoulder seasons. There are a lot of problems with how this has been put together, and some good intentions but it gets convoluted quickly, just as it gets controversial quickly. Rob, Tony & Randy have a really good handle on the complexities.

Montana needs to quit messing around...

Time to get pigman and the nuge up there with a helicopter and some AR's to get these gdamn elk under control.

I'm sick of hearing how over-objective the elk are, the constant whining from the landowners and MTFWP, and pissing around with shoulder seasons trying to control elk.

Time to get serious and take care of this problem.

Last edited:
Montana needs to quit messing around...

Time to get pigman and the nuge up there with a helicopter and some AR's to get these gdamn elk under control.

I'm sick of hearing how over-objective the elk are, the constant whining from the landowners, and pissing around with shoulder seasons.

Time to get serious.

Fortunately, we outlawed those two in 2011 under the "dear lord jesus please don't let these morons in our state" act.

Busting a cow on August 15 th with a 2 month old spotted calf standing next to her is something I don't thing even the Nuge would do.

Shoot the calf too...the only thing MTFWP, Montana Legislature, and landowners like is dead elk. The end justifies the means....always.

John,

Shoulder seasons are an attempt by the agency to comply with a law passed in 2003 that mandates the legislature manage "at or below" objectives for big game animals. That has been compounded by directives from the Governor's office to find ways to better manage elk while improving landowner/sportsmen relationships, even more legislative influence, and a lot of complaining by ranchers who feel that they have too many elk wintering on their places.
the seasons are valid this year in some Region 4 hunt districts and will be open until February 15. You can hunt on private, DNRC State Trust Lands & BLM lands but not National Forest or Wildlife Management Areas.

You can theoretically take up to two elk if you have your A tag and a leftover 004-00 B tag (I have both). Phone lines have been swamped and it is expected many Montanans will participate in the shoulder seasons. There are a lot of problems with how this has been put together, and some good intentions but it gets convoluted quickly, just as it gets controversial quickly. Rob, Tony & Randy have a really good handle on the complexities.

Can I get in on this as a NR for just a cow tag?

You can use a leftover A tag, or next season, put in for a B tag in the district you want. Unless the rules change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cwdrx
Back