MT shoulder season decision...

No thanks. It's wolf season. The elk that made it 10 weeks, should be rewarded with life this winter.

Exactly! As if there isn't enough to hunt in Montana. If you just want to hunt, hunt mountain lions, coyotes, wolves, waterfowl, or most other non-game animals in MT.

I understand if meat is an issue, but in that case, you have September, October, and November to hunt. If you can't find a single critter to put your tag on in that period, you are either a terrible hunter, disabled, or don't need the meat that bad. I am sympathetic for one of those groups of people and wouldn't mind seeing the shoulder seasons be open for the disabled and the youth.

Exactly! As if there isn't enough to hunt in Montana. If you just want to hunt, hunt mountain lions, coyotes, wolves, waterfowl, or most other non-game animals in MT.

I understand if meat is an issue, but in that case, you have September, October, and November to hunt. If you can't find a single critter to put your tag on in that period, you are either a terrible hunter, disabled, or don't need the meat that bad. I am sympathetic for one of those groups of people and wouldn't mind seeing the shoulder seasons be open for the disabled and the youth.

I prefer the term "selective."

C'mon.. Hunt what you can hunt, when you can hunt, where you can hunt.

Should I not put a slug into a cow here if I get a chance?

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/districtDetail.html?p1=elk&p2=14809418&district=309

Ha, I bet the roads will be jam packed from now until February with "selective" hunters looking for a less-than-average-intelligence cow bedded down 75 yards from the road... :)

I'm going to be one of them. Here's why: The issue of effective elk management in Montana will not go away, especially when we look at the overall population trends of elk in the state, landownership patterns and access issues.

I've been ambivalent, but lean supportive of the shoulder seasons because I think MT's elk management needs improvement, and given the way weather has been going the last 10 years, I figure we need to think of how we maintain the efficacy of using hunters to manage elk populations. That means some good choices (like the What TonyJ & others have done in the Bitteroot) and some bad choices (possibly shoulder seasons) are what we have to deal with in terms of actual management.

I don't have to endorse it, but as an active sportsman in Montana, I need to know what I'm talking about. I believe that I should participate so I can effectively be an effective participant in the larger debate. I'm not going to change how I hunt, but I'll be in the field to see how we collectively act during this trial season.

Other mileage may vary

Last edited:
I'm going to be one of them. Here's why: The issue of effective elk management in Montana will not go away, especially when we look at the overall population trends of elk in the state, landownership patterns and access issues.

I've been ambivalent, but lean supportive of the shoulder seasons because I think MT's elk management needs improvement, and given the way weather has been going the last 10 years, I figure we need to think of how we maintain the efficacy of using hunters to manage elk populations. That means some good choices (like the What TonyJ & others have done in the Bitteroot) and some bad choices (possibly shoulder seasons) are what we have to deal with in terms of actual management.

I don't have to endorse it, but as an active sportsman in Montana, I need to know what I'm talking about. I believe that I should participate so I can effectively be an effective participant in the larger debate. I'm not going to change how I hunt, but I'll be in the field to see how we collectively act during this trial season.
Other mileage may vary

I sincerely hope that others who participate in the extended season share your perspective. I understand your point, though I don't think it is too far removed from simply stating that the end justifies the means. I also realize that it is easy to sit here on a forum and shout about everything that is wrong with what other people are doing when at least it is a step towards accomplishing something. I really do look forward to hearing what you have to say about all of this come February.

It is just hard for me to imagine a world where the majority of hunters and landowners who are participating in these shoulder seasons do so for the betterment of the elk herds and the future of elk hunting.

I'm not necessarily opposed to late season cow hunts (I'm on the hunt roster), but opening a couple districts up to anyone with an unfilled A tag? I bet the ranchers are going to regret asking for that season after the 5000th guy asks for permission. It will be like the Madison flats massacre, only going on for 2 months...

Next year they will hopefully change it to a draw system and get some control of the situation. Feel sorry for the guys that were on the roster and now have to navigate this... Good luck if you are able to get on.

I'm a non supporter of shoulder seasons and will never be a part of one, for myself, a friend, of my kids. We were not shorted on any hunting opportunities in Montana this year - and helping some landowner that hoarded elk all September through Thanksgiving isn't something I'm interested in doing. Had they allowed cow hunting during general - maybe there'd be more animals on the adjacent public during general. I think it's sad the fwp lines are busy with folks wanting to be involved.

A $5 Christmas tree permit, and a few $19 wolf permits spell a good time in the next few hours...

My apologies for the non-vintage rifle...

Attachments

• wolf rifle.JPG
    wolf rifle.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
The fact that FWP acknowledges that elk objectives are not based on science really means that elk management in Montana is bullchit. "Social tolerance" is synonymous with "what a few loud whiners will allow". FWP may as well can their biologists and hire some PR people - at least they would be less inert. We may as well enjoy the elk that are here while we can, because they sure as chit aren't here due to our supreme understanding and implementation of hunting policy. As Buzz has said, they are here in spite of Montana's garbage management. It's hard not to agree when a scientific undertaking - elk management in Montana- openly admits that science isn't the chief consideration.

Hope ya get one Ben.

Last edited:
The biggest draw back of the shoulder season is that some landowners that are were trying to control elk numbers on there property will quit during the general season. They could decide that the shoulder season is the time to get elk numbers down and the general season is the time for other opportunities. The shoulder season could evolve into less opportunity during the general season and a frantic mad dash to shoot a cow during the shoulder season.

Last edited:
The biggest draw back of the shoulder season is that some landowner that are were trying to control elk numbers on there property will quit during the general season. They could decide that the shoulder season is the time to get elk numbers down and the general season is the time for other opportunities. The shoulder season could evolve into less opportunity during the general season and a frantic mad dash to shoot a cow during the shoulder season.
antlerradar

There is the truth and reality of the "shoulder season".

Looking at the Commission agenda for Dec. 10th, looks like FWP has all ready decided the shoulder season trial areas are a success. Rolling them out for next year all over the state.

I realize it is tentative, but tentatives tend to stick.

Last edited:
Here's the link-

http://fwp.mt.gov/doingBusiness/ins...tings/agenda.html?coversheet&topicId=34274705

Oh my god I want to puke reading through that. Some of them as written are good unit wide as well. So much for no National Forest.

One check station in Western Montana had zero elk come through it this year, so they're deciding to increase antlerless permits.

It really is a full on war on elk. What the hell is wrong with our Fish and Game?

Also this:

Region 2
All R2 HDs with elk B Licenses: Eliminate the stipulation that a B License holder may not take an antlered
bull in that HD.

This is difficult to decipher. I live in 335, so when I read this:

HDs 318/335: Delete existing 318-00 and 335-00 B Licenses in these HDs.
Include these HDs in the 394-00 antlerless permit (quota 800, range 200-2000) bundle valid in HDs 215, 318, and 335 during both archery and rifle season. Non-youth holders may not hunt antlered elk in any of these HDs

Am I to understand that:
1) They would like to go to cow tag that takes into consideration 215,318,394, and 335 and create one cow tag for all those, no longer having cow tags specific to those HDs alone?
2)What does non-youth holders may not hunt antlered elk in any of these HD's mean. No more bull elk off general tag in any of those areas?

Excluding the shoulder seasons, which are f$#%$ing crazy, if I'm reading it right these proposals seem to be changing a whole bunch of season structures that have existed pretty much my whole life in Montana.

Looks like Mule Deer in region 3 are also being declared war on. 'HDs 302, 320,
322, 325, 326,328, 330, 331, and 333 are proposed to be either sex mule all of rifle season with an A tag.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back