MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

MT shoulder season decision...

SA, my comment was a somewhat sarcastic response to the folks who are saying this will give additional opportunity, which will only be true if elk populations are not dropped that much (i.e. It didn't work). Sorry if that didn't make much sense.

Hunting at " objective" means no elk hunting. Case in point, HD 313. The " count " consists of an incomplete survey, check stations that are almost never open, and occasional flyovers including assumptions elk not seen are there. A wild guess at best or intentionally false at worst. Not credible in either case.

Someone may have already asked this... and maybe I'm just stating the obvious?

If the numbers are much lower than they estimate 160k, and they kill as many as they want 60k to get to the "objective"... What will the hunting be like if the numbers are closer to an actual count of 120k elk alive today? If the hunting will suck at 90k, imagine 60k.

Its been a few years since I read the EMP... quality reading.

Maybe some knows this, I couldn't find it. What is the minimum population goals for each unit? All I can find is population objective, and a call for at or below objective. Is there a minimum population required???

I did find these gems.

Statewide Elk Population Management Objective
Maintain elk population numbers at levels producing a healthy and productive condition of elk, vegetation, soil, and water and that also reduces elk conflicts on private and public lands.

What conflicts could arise on public land with elk?

Population Objectives
Objectives for elk numbers in the 1992 Plan were a mixture of inconsistently estimated total numbers and actual counted numbers. Further, there is no record of how population estimates were derived for those areas where objectives were for estimated populations. For the majority of EMUs in 1992, objectives were for actual counted numbers, not estimated total populations. For this Plan, all objective numbers are for counted numbers without expansion to estimations.

Objective numbers are presented as a point estimate, but usually with a range around the point. This range may be expressed as a fixed range or as a percentage variation from the point objective (usually 20%). The major reason for this range is that counting elk is an inexact science and counting conditions vary from year-to-year and a range is necessary to take this variation into account and determine whether a real change has occurred. Therefore, we also generally use a 2-year period to make changes if counts are below objectives because of the possibility of poor survey conditions. However, because seldom, if ever, do we count more elk than actually exist, we will recommend regulation changes immediately when the number of elk counted are above the objective range.

What TF does the bold section mean? I mean are they stating that they are skewing the numbers high on purpose?

Back