MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Proposed changes Sweeping!

I'm holding out hope that this is a mistake. I'm also going to talk with the commissioners once we're done castigation MBA for not liking crossbows.

I really hope so.

Also as written now, if you draw the limited entry bull tag, you will be hunting bulls with a bow on National Forest at the same time everyone else will be hunting cows with a rifle. No safety concerns or quality of hunt issues there at all.

I can't believe they would consider public land in the new 217 proposal either. I'm real familiar with that area and lately it's darn tough even finding an elk on public land in that north end. I'd almost say there's a better chance killing an elk with the heavy chevy while driving I-90 near Jens than finding one on public land.

So people can hunt with their rifle during archery season.... Wow. Now that is stupid.

So BLM, state, and BMA are all legal to have rifle cow hunts during the rut and archery season? Wow.

I really hope so.

Also as written now, if you draw the limited entry bull tag, you will be hunting bulls with a bow on National Forest at the same time everyone else will be hunting cows with a rifle. No safety concerns or quality of hunt issues there at all.

Since when has the MTFWP worried about the quality of a hunt??? That's a serious question BTW.

As long as elk die, that's all that matters.

I listened to the Commission meeting today...what a joke.

Since when has the MTFWP worried about the quality of a hunt??? That's a serious question BTW.

As long as elk die, that's all that matters.

I listened to the Commission meeting today...what a joke.

I did not listen, but did have play by play from a MSA spokesman. He did a good job there.

Hope there's some good that will come from all this. I don't mean a lot of dead elk either. Maybe this will be the straw that finally gets people off their arses and to a meeting now and again.

I need some help understanding this. RMEF and other MT organizations spoke in favor of the shoulder seasons today. I listened in this morning and then showed up at the region 3 office for the afternoon session once the 313 can was done being kicked down the road. Can someone explain the case for shoulder seasons as I am still unclear after today? Thanks!

One thing that I overlooked until now, and I think deserves recognition-

There are a handful of general units, mainly in region 2, where they are proposing doing away with elk B tags, and replacing with an antlerless permit. As written, that would be reverting back to the way cow tags were issued before B licenses existed, where you had to put your A tag on the cow, and could only shoot a cow in the district that you hold the permit for, even though it's a general bull area.

I think that's a step in the right direction, and a good precedent to set, in some of these areas that are at or below objective.

There are a handful of general units, mainly in region 2, where they are proposing doing away with elk B tags, and replacing with an antlerless permit. As written, that would be reverting back to the way cow tags were issued before B licenses existed, where you had to put your A tag on the cow, and could only shoot a cow in the district that you hold the permit for, even though it's a general bull area.

I think that's a step in the right direction, and a good precedent to set, in some of these areas that are at or below objective.

There needs to be a few more.

That's the way it was for years and We had great elk populations and great hunting. Why they thought they had to mess with the system is beyond me. Things were simple buy a tag and shoot Bulls or put in for cows and you only got one elk a year. Who needs three elk a year that is wasting game in my opinion unless you have 20 teenagers to feed. Makes too much sense to go back to what used to work. Fwp needs to stop trying to please everyone and do what is right for the wildlife.

My understanding on 313 was that they were going to rewrite it to show the alternatives presented along with the LE tag as originally written.
- 6-point rule
- Repopulate herd from over objective units (Commissioner White)
- Bull only
- Etc. (I am missing some of the other proposals mentioned)

This, according to commission would allow the public to see what they feel are "viable" alternatives for the comment period.

Have any decisions been made yet? If so, which HD, etc... And if not, when are they making the final decisions?

No decisions yet. Proposals are to be vetted with public comment for a period of time, then finalized and approved by the FWP Commission. My understanding is no sooner than January. 'Not sure what might extend it beyond then. It seems clear that there will be much more discussion and analysis.

My understanding on 313 was that they were going to rewrite it to show the alternatives presented along with the LE tag as originally written.
- 6-point rule
- Repopulate herd from over objective units (Commissioner White)
- Bull only
- Etc. (I am missing some of the other proposals mentioned)

This, according to commission would allow the public to see what they feel are "viable" alternatives for the comment period.
I remember suggestions of creating a buffer zone around Yellowstone (closing Deckard Flats, etc) and reopening up the game station and enforcing the special permit requirement to hunt there.

I'm not sure they took Representative K. White's wolf feeding proposal seriously.

No decisions yet. Proposals are to be vetted with public comment for a period of time, then finalized and approved by the FWP Commission. My understanding is no sooner than January. 'Not sure what might extend it beyond then. It seems clear that there will be much more discussion and analysis.

Where can we made our comments heard/seen? thanks!

Go to the FWP website, there will be comments solicitation there (likely within the next week) or just write a letter to FWP. I'm sure you may also provide comments through your local regional office.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back