MT pasture poodle

Bambistew

Made a trip back home to MT for a couple weeks. Good to see friends and family. Made a run out east to chase mule deer for a few days. Not a lot of deer seen in the amount of time we spent looking. We actually saw about twice as many in western MT while elk hunting. Still fun to get out and hunt though. Didn't notch the elk tag, but had a chance too, just didn't feel comfortable with the hellish cross wind and range. Nice bull too... always next time.

DSCN0894.jpg

Took my 14yo cousin out a few times to look for deer and elk, and helped him bag his first bull, a spike!

I killed what I think is the oldest whitetail I've ever taken. I don't have the lower jaw, but figured some of you experts might be able to take a guess? I guess him at 8? A great deer for the area, of about 50+ bucks I saw, it was the second biggest. The biggest was about 10" bigger with a little trash to him, and about the same mass. I roughed him at 146, with 36" of mass.

DSCN0909.jpg

DSCN0917.jpg

DSCN0936.jpg

DSCN0938.jpg

Fun trip... now on to the archery range to get ready for my moose hunt next month.

Last edited:
That is a great buck, Bambi. You have quiet a track record on great MT whitetails. Congrats.

Nice job on a fine buck! You get that one from the porch??:) Or did you have to head around the barn for a good shot:):)

I spent the past number of days in Western Montana. Worst deer hunting year I've ever seen back there.

Congratulations on a great buck! Best of both worlds ,Alaska and then go home to Montana.

You guys and your ''carp' deer comments. I would love to kill a decent whitey some day. That's a great buck. Seems to be hard to find land that will allow you to hunt whiteys like that. Sure beats looking for a nice muley that doesn't exist.

Nice job on a fine buck! You get that one from the porch??:) Or did you have to head around the barn for a good shot:):)

Easily a 20 minute stalk, and a 100 yard belly crawl. I had a delema on my hands, take this one or a 250lb 4pt with short beams and points, but tree trunk mains.... Had a couple hunters watching the neighboring parcel from the road, and I'm sure they could see the situation taking place. I don't think they were to happy when I let "ol meat in the pot" bark.

I probably should have shot her a few times before taking her out to make sure she was still on, but at 175 yards the bullet flew right where I aimed per usual. That rifle shoots stupidly good and has a permanent home in MT for my escapades there. I brought 2 boxes of bullets down for her, but at her current digestion rate, it will be a couple decades worth fun before I need to bring more.

I have a problem, and that problem is deer hunting.

Can't wait to go back.

I spent the past number of days in Western Montana. Worst deer hunting year I've ever seen back there.

Somebody checked a 9 1/2 year old buck Saturday night. I would've loved to see what that thing looks like.

Great buck Bambi.

Did your wife ever get a chance to shoot anything on the trip? What rifle did she end up using? I remember you debating what to bring.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back