Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT or WY

Steelhead

I'm torn between these two states for my out of state BOWhunting experiance this year. I am doing it solo...S O L O! None of my partners will commit or are willing to cough up the cash. I have 2 points in WY and 3 points in MT. I am under the impression that if I draw a tag in either of these states I will be allowed to hunt all of the seasons throughout the course of the year. I would of course apply for the archery special permits but if I don't get them and/or if I don't get an elk during the archery season I'll try with other weapons. The question is which of these states should I apply in? Maybe which special permits to apply for as well? I'm almost a shoe in to draw the general tags. I have heard good things about northwest Wyoming and that's fairly close to me (meaning that I might make a scouting weekend). However there's a ton of national forest in MT that I'm pretty sure I could also find an elk in!! I'm looking for expert opinions and general areas to start looking into and gathering info... of course if I am pointed in a general direction and I find something of intrest...whoever pointed me there will also be informed of my findings. I am willing to take up a partner and meet for a scouting trip. I do love hunting by myself but it's very nice to have other people around or at least back at camp. I also have 7 points in OR but I'm leaning towards MT or WY and OR will be a OTC tag.

I know nothing about Wyoming. There's not many limited areas in Montana for deer, so don't plan on drawing one of those. The draw odds are pretty low even for residents. If you're interested in bow hunting, I'd look at the eastern part of the state where you can draw a limited archery tag for elk without any problem. In the mountains you may have a tougher time finding deer especially without the chance to do much scouting.

For elk, Wyoming is a better option than Montana. Most of the public land areas in Montana, which are primarily west of the Continental Divide, are in a downward trend for population. Weather, hunting pressure, predators, and a multitude of things seem to be the cause.

Wyoming has better numbers of elk on public land areas, in my experience. Hard to beat a Wyoming elk tag, even a general tag, given that most of their elk are in areas with high percentages of public land.

Good luck.

My .02$ If I were starting from scratch and had to choose between the two I'd also go with WY. I don't know much about the state other than it seems like the quality of elk as a whole is better there. MT has some monster bulls but most of the state is managed for hunter opportunity not trophy quality.

Big Fin summarized the problems and solutions very well. Some good advice there and he would have first hand knowledge of both states. If you choose MT, I'd probably concentrate on the central to eastern part of the state.

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that this is a ELK hunt, primarily with a bow. And as far as being managed for "hunter opportunity" that is exactly what I'm after!! I've never killed an elk but I've called in many big bulls while hunting in a spike only area and all I want is a bull elk big, small...medium!! Mostly, I'm just going to be out there for the experiance :) Thanks again

I think if your looking to shoot about any bull with a bow, either state would be about the same. I have not hunted elk in WY personally though have had some friends that have. Personally, I think if you are just after ANY elk, I don't know how you couldn't kill one in MT. Course that is related to how many days are you looking to be able to spend.

Buzz has hunted both states alot and has had great success in both so i would expect that any input from him would be worth more than most.

Steelhead, do you live in WA. I was wondering cause of the spike only thing. In myexperience and research I would say Wyoming. I am partial to the state cause of the fact you kind find a lot of public land, escpecially in good elk areas, that if you are willing to work a little and get off the beaten path you can find good quality hunting.

I hope you are aware that Wyoming has very few "Archery Only Type 9" unit tags. Those are in separate draws from the main draws where most tags are issued. If you apply for that type of unit tag and draw it, they are for bow hunting only during the one specified season. The General tag or Limited Quota tags for one specific unit have to be drawn and then if you want to hunt with your bow in the early season you would have to buy a $30 Archery Permit. You have to be careful there too and go into the separate archery section to make sure that the unit(s) you are picking is not one of the few that disallows bow hunting with that $30 Permit. If you drew a General tag, you could hunt in any unit specified under that tag during the archery season, unless the unit is not listed in the archery section mentioned previously, and then you could go back with a gun or bow if you didn't tag out in the early season. If you put in for one specific Type 1 tag and draw it, then you are basically limited to hunting in only that unit, unless you have picked one of several choices that allow hunting in two or three listed units that are on that same line in the application pamphlet.

Don't burn your Wy. points on the general tag.Enter the general tag as 2nd choice in the special draw.Cost almost twice as much but you'll gain another point and be close to getting a LE archery unit in a year or two.Thats probably the route I'm going after this year.Draw 2nd choice with the special tag, and bank points.Only takes one point to draw the general tag there so you'd be wasting one of your points
Can't help ya with Montana, but have been looking to hunt there soon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back