Montana Archery Elk Research?

Hammsolo

Hey All, I haven’t killed a bull since moving to WA, and my life getting nuts. Life is awesome now. Last year I took up archery again and chased elk a little bit. I have a ton to learn. I’m refocusing my draw efforts in MT to archery. I only have 4 bonus points, and really want to find a unit I can draw more routinely. I am researching, and have some ideas but know to follow the rule about mentioning unit numbers. Any advice would be deeply appreciated, and I’d even be willing to go hunting with someone. I killed 9 bulls before leaving MT, but it’s been ~20 years. Damn I’m getting old. I am in good shape, a hard hunter, and skilled in the rifle hunting world. Archery… I love to learn. Thanks, Nick

Idk how bonus points or draw odds work here at all, the few I know that put in as NR always did the big game combo and haven’t been successful in 2 years after drawing in 2021…

Hope you draw! 🤞🏽

Hey All, I haven’t killed a bull since moving to WA, and my life getting nuts. Life is awesome now. Last year I took up archery again and chased elk a little bit. I have a ton to learn. I’m refocusing my draw efforts in MT to archery. I only have 4 bonus points, and really want to find a unit I can draw more routinely. I am researching, and have some ideas but know to follow the rule about mentioning unit numbers. Any advice would be deeply appreciated, and I’d even be willing to go hunting with someone. I killed 9 bulls before leaving MT, but it’s been ~20 years. Damn I’m getting old. I am in good shape, a hard hunter, and skilled in the rifle hunting world. Archery… I love to learn. Thanks, Nick
Why not go back to where you killed the 9 bulls from?

I hate to say it, but my super obsessed archery elk nut friends tell me Montana is on the decline in most limited draw areas, especially the breaks. 380 is still good though, good luck!
380 is good if you want to apply for 20 years with the hopes of killing a 320" bull. Easily the most overrated tag in the state, if not the US..

Honestly - LE areas in MT - especially targeting archery - aren't generally worth it. I have seen big bulls in general areas and limited areas and the pressure seems to be not a lot different. Put in for LE rifle in a good area, or hunt Wyoming.

Not saying that as a salty MT resident.

Idk I’ve heard some story from a few different people that have had the tag and a couple of them are killers.
I wouldn't doubt it. I've heard of a couple poaching instances first hand this last season in 380 on bulls (yes, I contacted FWP). Apparently they didn't know it was a special draw.

Just had to give you a little crap. If I drew a tag such as 380 or another coveted tag, I'd be hunting that unit all the way through season. It's not often you can get after it in that country.

Why not go back to where you killed the 9 bulls from?
Great point! The area I killed most of them in is a general area in the Pintlars. It’s in gnarly country and you have to climb “the challenge” to get there and dodge private. It’s sub-alpine and loaded with cliffs. I killed them due to pure blood and sweat. I just never saw any mature bulls in there, but now I have more knowledge…

I also own land in the Pintlars, but it’s deer heavy and generally elk pass through it.

I’m dreaming of mature bulls. In all those elk I never killed a mature bull. The biggest was a young 5 x 6.

I wouldn't doubt it. I've heard of a couple poaching instances first hand this last season in 380 on bulls (yes, I contacted FWP). Apparently they didn't know it was a special draw.

Just had to give you a little crap. If I drew a tag such as 380 or another coveted tag, I'd be hunting that unit all the way through season. It's not often you can get after it in that country.
You can “get after it” every year in 380 if you want a spike.

Great point! The area I killed most of them in is a general area in the Pintlars. It’s in gnarly country and you have to climb “the challenge” to get there and dodge private. It’s sub-alpine and loaded with cliffs. I killed them due to pure blood and sweat. I just never saw any mature bulls in there, but now I have more knowledge…

I also own land in the Pintlars, but it’s deer heavy and generally elk pass through it.

I’m dreaming of mature bulls. In all those elk I never killed a mature bull. The biggest was a young 5 x 6.
Deer heavy in Montana?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back