MT NR Application package

Bambistew

I'm currious how this is going to work out...

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=54211

Montana allows 'up to' 10% of the permits be awarded to NR. Having the NR draw 3 months before the resident seems like they're going to have 2 pools of permits instead of one? I'm thinking the NR draw odds just increased?

Seems like a lot of changes in the bonus/preference point game as well.

75% of the combo tags will go to hunters with bonus points
Preference points will be squared

Last edited:
All I know is its going to be a narrow window to get your "montana native license" and then apply by March 15 for the special deer and elk.

When do the residents have to apply for the special deer and elk? I think it may be March 15 as well.???

“Nonresident, Montana Native Hunting Licenses”
These licenses are available at substantially reduced prices
for purchase only from an FWP office beginning March 1.
They include: General Elk ($80), General Deer ($64) and
Upland Game Bird ($30). To qualify you must:
• Provide a birth certificate verifying your birth in Montana,
or documentation that you were born to parents
who were residents of Montana; and
• Proof of possessing a previous Montana resident hunting
or fishing license, or proof of passage of Montana’s
hunter education course; and
• Proof that you are a nonresident relative of a Montana
resident who is your natural or adoptive sibling, child
or parent.
• Applications with detailed qualifying information will be
available online at fwp.mt.gov on March 1.
• To obtain a license, applications must be submitted in
person to any FWP office.

fwp.mt.gov
FWP Headquarters
1420 East Sixth Avenue
P.O. Box 200701
Helena, MT 59620-0701
Office Hours: Monday-Friday,
8:00 AM-5:00 PM Mountain Time
Phone: (406) 444-2535
Fax: (406) 444-4952
E-mail: [email protected]
Region 1 Kalispell (406) 752-5501
Region 2 Missoula (406) 542-5500
Region 3 Bozeman (406) 994-4042
Helena (406) 495-3260
Butte (406) 494-1953
Region 4 Great Falls (406) 454-5840
Lewistown (406) 538-4658
Region 5 Billings (406) 247-2940
Region 6 Glasgow (406) 228-3700
Havre (406) 265-6177
Region 7 Miles City (406) 234-0900
Apply

Last edited:
Wow, that is a pretty small window isn't it. Looks like I'll have to be in the homeland on March 1.

I would hope the resident apps for elk/deer would be due the same time.

I just noticed the 'apply in person' part. That seems pretty unreasonable given the fact that likely most NR don't live within easy driving distance to a FWP office. However it says "applications", wonder if family could drop it off?

I dont know...I'm going to give Helena a call right now...will report back with the "process".

Just got off the phone with the licensing in Helena.

You definitely do need to buy the license in person at one of the regional FWP headquarters, cant have a relative do it.

That means to apply for a special elk permit, you have to show up before March 15 and buy your elk tag if you want to apply in the breaks, elkhorns, etc. Reason is that you must have an elk tag before you apply for a special elk permit.

But, you can still apply for a deer permit, as all thats required is a conservation license, which you can purchase on-line.

You can buy the deer and elk tags any time.

Thanks for looking into that Buzz.

That seems very unreasonable to place the burden on the NR to show up in MT in the middle of the winter in a 2 week window to purchase a tag. I'm thinking this needs to be ironed out.

AK has similar requirements for some hunts. A small window usually mid summer to fly out to some remote village to purchase a permit for a hunt that takes place 2 months later. Pretty much only the locals get a permit.

That seems very unreasonable to place the burden on the NR to show up in MT in the middle of the winter in a 2 week window to purchase a tag. I'm thinking this needs to be ironed out.
Sounds like a Utah scam.

Where do you see that you have to have an elk license to apply for the special permit?

I don't remember having to buy the license before applying for the special permit as a resident?

Since the nonresident native licenses are guaranteed I would think you could put in for a permit and then buy the license later?

I think this new license needs to go away. A non resident is a non resident. It doesn't matter where you were born, it's where you live now.

A wonderful product of the 2011 legislature so some some spoiled brats in out of state colleges could come home and hunt like they used to when they lived here.

I thought they were getting rid of the combo, then special permit. Seems the same to me, now you just get to check a box that says if i draw combo and not special permit, i get 80% back. Instead of sending in paper later on to get 80% back (of $944 for NR combo). So you get to pay 20% of combo to take part in drawing, terrible. Should go to a draw like Wyoming, for special areas and general areas. And would probably increase revenue with people putting in for draw and points system. They did follow Wyoming in charging $50 for preference point. Resident sportsman tag is what $85 for fishing, hunting, elk, deer, and bear, that funny. Guessing Montana will not need a NR combo drawing, and combos will be a 100%.

I hope they start squaring the points for moose, sheep, and goat soon also. Would actually give a benefit to having points.

I think this new license needs to go away. A non resident is a non resident. It doesn't matter where you were born, it's where you live now.

A wonderful product of the 2011 legislature so some some spoiled brats in out of state colleges could come home and hunt like they used to when they lived here.

Actually, if an out of state student comes home for the summer and visits over Christmas break and spends a week or so back in the state during the hunting season they still qualify as a resident. They just need to be in the state 120 days out of the year.

It will be interesting to see how many folks get a license under the new law. The "come home to hunt" deal didn't get near as many applicants as they were expecting. Now it is pretty much pointless with the new law.

Sounds like a Utah scam.

Huh?

Not seeing the scam part of it, unless you consider that the State of Montana is being scammed out of about $800 per deer/elk tag.

The ONLY part that is tough for those taking advantage of the $800 savings in the cost of the NR deer/elk tag is that they cant apply for a special bull tag before they purchase the general elk tag. (Has to be done in person). Cant see how allowing a MT native to buy an elk tag for $80 or deer for $64 OTC anytime they want as being a scam. I think if anything, somebody forgot about the requirements of the general elk tag purchase prior to applying for the special elk.

Bambi,

The two choices you have if you really want to apply for the special elk is:

1. Apply for the elk only coming home to hunt tag and apply for the special elk. If you dont draw the special elk, you could get an 80% refund on that tag, then you could purchase the cheap deer/elk tag when you show up to hunt.

2. Book a flight to Helena, Billings, etc. and buy the cheap elk tag and then apply for the special elk.

I suspect it would be cheaper, and a whole lot less PITA in your situation to just do the first option if you have some elk points built up that you dont want to lose. I'll just drive up to Billings some time in early March and buy my elk tag and apply for the special elk...still saving a $hitload of money.

Maybe easier to just buy an elk tag when you show up to hunt, do the general areas, and not worry about the special elk permit.

The reason they gave for having to show up in person to buy the license is that the FWP has to verify, by photo ID you are who you say you are. Plus, the guy I talked to said there is concern that people will be trying to falsify information to take advantage of the highly reduced NR licenses.

Still a good deal though, as you can apply for everything else you want and if you dont draw too many other tags, you can always buy the cheap deer/elk tags OTC, as there is no limit on the number of these permits available.

Last edited:
npaden,

Actually, any full time NR student attending a MT college can hunt deer, elk, birds and fishing for $70...

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/nonresidentStudent.html

If you're a resident and go out of state to school, I dont think you even have to come back for 120 days to get resident licenses??? as long as you're not claiming residency in another state for fishing and hunting licenses.

Where do you see that you have to have an elk license to apply for the special permit?

I don't remember having to buy the license before applying for the special permit as a resident?

Since the nonresident native licenses are guaranteed I would think you could put in for a permit and then buy the license later?

Right Here:

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=49474

Elk Permit Drawing $9.00 Must have current year general elk license to apply - must be used with general elk license.

Right Here:

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=49474

Elk Permit Drawing $9.00 Must have current year general elk license to apply - must be used with general elk license.

That stinks. :(

Think they will relax the rules after the first year for people that already jumped through the hoops to get a license the first year? I guess you would have to show that your relative was still a resident every year.

I was thinking I could start building some preference points for the special drawing, but I guess not.

I guess you could apply for the combo and a special permit and get the 80% refund if you aren't drawn and then buy a general elk tag as a native nonresident in the fall to hunt?

That would end up around $250 per preference point!

npaden,

I "think" you could do that...but like you said, still a darn expensive point. I'd double check with that idea if you plan on hunting MT on the cheap this year via the new permit.

I honestly think this was a huge over-sight by the MTFWP with the special elk tag requirement.

BAMBISTEW - Are you trying for a trophy district? The chances are slim to none period, with the best places being 1-3% draw odds resident of NR (odds worse for NR I believe). Montana's system is known for being kind of lousy (obviously from the feedback here), but your odds of just pulling a tag are great. Just hunt public area.

Yeah, his odds are 100% that he can buy a deer and elk tag OTC anytime he wants under the new law as a native Montana resident...not the point of the thread.

Also, if he's acquired a bunch of elk points, it would be a good idea to keep them...in particular since MT is now squaring bonus points for deer and elk special permits.

BTW, slim and none found their way to my mailbox last year with an either sex NR rifle elk permit for the breaks...

Didn't they have a ton of leftover NR licenses this year? They weren't just native NR licenses correct? Not sure if I'll be overseas this year so I'll just wait until the end of the summer and buy a leftover NR license. There are 17,000 available and there's no way those will get filled at $900+.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back