Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MT NR Application package

Yeah, his odds are 100% that he can buy a deer and elk tag OTC anytime he wants under the new law as a native Montana resident...not the point of the thread.

Also, if he's acquired a bunch of elk points, it would be a good idea to keep them...in particular since MT is now squaring bonus points for deer and elk special permits.

BTW, slim and none found their way to my mailbox last year with an either sex NR rifle elk permit for the breaks...

Sure, but that's not the point of my comment. I was refering to first timers applying resident or NR, but thanks. Definitely, carry the points though.

I think this new license needs to go away. A non resident is a non resident. It doesn't matter where you were born, it's where you live now.

A wonderful product of the 2011 legislature so some some spoiled brats in out of state colleges could come home and hunt like they used to when they lived here.

Its still a NR permit.

WTF does someone's child going out of state for school have to do with anything? Maybe you should ask Big Fin if his son is a 'brat'?

What a tool...

Thanks agian Buzz.

I don't have any elk points to worry about. Just thought I might put in this year if I could. Doubt I'll be hunting MT this fall anyway. Might squeeze in a quick trip over Thanksgiving, maybe...

Not sure how I feel about the point squaring deal. I don't see the odds of drawing a permit increasing, all I see is the pool of applicants getting bigger and your odds remaining the same. No differnt than the current bonus point system.

Bambi,

No problem.

I agree, I dont think the point squaring will help all that much...pretty neutrel on it myself.

I thought maybe you had a few elk points...still might be worth applying for the special deer though as all you need is the conservation license to apply. You can buy your deer tag if you draw the special.

Nice deal though to have the option if you get time over thanksgiving...

Its still a NR permit.

WTF does someone's child going out of state for school have to do with anything? Maybe you should ask Big Fin if his son is a 'brat'?

What a tool...

Learn the whole story before you start calling names.

What a douche...

npaden,

Actually, any full time NR student attending a MT college can hunt deer, elk, birds and fishing for $70...

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/nonresidentStudent.html

If you're a resident and go out of state to school, I dont think you even have to come back for 120 days to get resident licenses??? as long as you're not claiming residency in another state for fishing and hunting licenses.

I double checked and it looks like you have to spend 120 days in the state if you are a college student and still have Montana residency and go to school in another state.

(2) A person who has physically resided in Montana as the person's principal or primary home or place of abode for 180 consecutive days and who meets the criteria of subsection (4) immediately before making application for any license is eligible to receive resident hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses. As used in this section, a vacant lot or a premises used solely for business purposes is not considered a principal or primary home or place of abode.
(3) A person who obtains residency under subsection (2) may continue to be a resident for purposes of this section by physically residing in Montana as the person's principal or primary home or place of abode for not less than 120 days a year and by meeting the criteria of subsection (4) prior to making application for any resident hunting, fishing, or trapping license.
(4) In addition to the requirements of subsection (2) or (3), a person shall meet the following criteria to be considered a resident for purposes of this section:
(5) A student who is enrolled full-time in a postsecondary educational institution out of state and who would qualify for Montana resident tuition or who otherwise meets the residence requirements of subsection (2) or (3) is considered a resident for purposes of this section.

At least that's the way I read it. I guess I don't know the rules on what would qualify them for resident tuition. If they meet that requirement then they wouldn't necessarily have to spend 120 days in the state each year.

120 days really isn't that hard though, college usually lets out in early May and doesn't start back up until late August. That's over 100 days right there. A couple weeks over Christmas break and one week thrown in somewhere else and you get there.

Someone with a kid in college out of state would probably know for sure though!

And you are still an Internet Hero douche!

I would love to see you bring your tough guy routine back to MT someday.

Seriously Rat Fink? An internet threat? Were you born and raised in Montana? Were your parents? Were their parents? If so congrats on being lucky enough to have stayed and earned a living. Some of us were not so lucky and we'd like to be able to get home and hunt with our siblings and parents while they are still alive to do so, and this new law makes us able to do that on an every year basis if we want to. We are still paying 4x the price you pay to hunt, so quit your whining and grow up. Just wait till one of your relatives leaves the state for work, someone you spent your whole life hunting with, then come back to this thread and let us know how bad this new law sucks.

Well I am finally happy MT. is doing a lil about this terrible permit system they have still they have a long way to go I think. I have 7 pts on elk and every year the hunt I put in for is drawn by ppl with 0-2 pts. it seem. It is because there are 40 guys putting in with 0 pts. and 2 or 3 with 7 pts. and well you do the math. Now the tide has turned my name will be there 49 times this year. Much better odds for the guys putting in consistantly every year. Id like to see a straight pref. point I think? Im not sure though:confused: It still sucks the way they are shaming you for that regular elk tag though to try your permit drawing still taking their 20%:mad:

Seriously Rat Fink? An internet threat? Were you born and raised in Montana? Were your parents? Were their parents? If so congrats on being lucky enough to have stayed and earned a living. Some of us were not so lucky and we'd like to be able to get home and hunt with our siblings and parents while they are still alive to do so, and this new law makes us able to do that on an every year basis if we want to. We are still paying 4x the price you pay to hunt, so quit your whining and grow up. Just wait till one of your relatives leaves the state for work, someone you spent your whole life hunting with, then come back to this thread and let us know how bad this new law sucks.

I cut my own path to Montana. I don't have any family here besides my wife. So nice try. There was no threat in that post. Just saying I love it when internet hero's come here and make fools of themselves.

I actually have some skin in the game as an active resident. I work hard to try to make Montana hunter friendly for the resident. I spend my time writing letters, meeting with legislators, and trying to keep hunting available to the general Montana hunter. All things that the non resident benefits from when they come here to hunt.

I am lucky enough to not take for granted the hunting opportunities that Montana offers. Many locals and people raised here do. The cheap former resident licenses is a have your cake and eat it too scenario. Nothing more than welfare for people that move away for more money and still want the benefit of hunting here cheaply. You can use the new license to your advantage and I don't blame you for doing it since it is available. Meanwhile I will be working hard behind the scenes to have it repealed.

Your a transplant? Seriously? I must admit I am totally without words to reply.

Why someday? I'll be in Ennis over the 4th. Look me up if still want to try to prove yourself. Its a small town, I'm sure you could find me.

Transplants are easy to spot.

Really? Just stop putting messages up on here the both of you. People love to be condescending towards others on forums and this place is no exception. Just stop already!! This is turning into the Great Falls tribune for crying out loud. Grow up. No one cares who's more of a resident than the other guy or how tough you are. You just look stupid!

Amen 6X6 can we say male ego problems or what? I come here to talk hunting not this junk goin on. That's all I gotta say now if someone has something productive to say in this thread I'd love to hear it. So far it hasn't been much of it. Who cares who lives where and all that crap.....:rolleyes:

Squaring points increases the incentive to purchase points which means more money to FWP for the same amount of licences. IE. more incentive to purchase points or (disincentive to not purchase because your odds of drawing decrease that much more) means that more people will purchase points.
For those of us that already purchase points it doesn't effect us other than lowers our odds of drawing in the long run.

I think you guys are misinterpreting the consequences of squaring points especially for moose, sheep, and mountain goat. It substantially helps those with close to max points. I think the thing most of you natives who have been attempting to draw for many years will appreciate the most is that it reduces the odds that people with very few points will draw a tag. It's still going to be tough to draw a Breaks sheep tag even with max points, but if you do your homework, someone with max points can greatly benefit from squared points.

mdunc8,

I think you are right on the money...

I bet for goat tags the squaring will help a bunch.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTP1029
Back