Caribou Gear

MT Non Res permit/application??????

Eye King

If applying for the MT Non res big game combo ($944). Specifying a deer permit district
($5) and an elk permit district ($9) and participating in the preference point system ($50) total $1,008. Do I also participate in the bonus system?

Ths is kinda confusing me. Am I filling this out or doing this right?

The bonus point system applies to the special elk and deer permits. Most people do participate if they plan to apply in MT again.

We in MT specialize in complicating the most straightforward of tasks. You would have to set out with the intent to complicate things to make it more complicated than it currently is for non-residents.

I think you will have 100% odds on your deer-elk combo tag this year. Good luck in the draws.

The bonus point system applies to the special elk and deer permits. Most people do participate if they plan to apply in MT again.

We in MT specialize in complicating the most straightforward of tasks. You would have to set out with the intent to complicate things to make it more complicated than it currently is for non-residents.

I think you will have 100% odds on your deer-elk combo tag this year. Good luck in the draws.

Thanks BigFIn!

Are the draws random after preference point holders are awarded permits?

Are the draws random after preference point holders are awarded permits?

Yes. And with the high draw odds for this tag, there are very few guys with any preference points.

Given the high draw odds for this general deer/elk combo, I would save the $50 preference point fee and pass on that. Odds are, you are going to draw and you wouldn't get a preference point anyhow, costing you $50 for something you don't need.

I would spend the $20 for preference points for the special deer and elk if you plan on applying for another combo tag within the next couple years.

I would spend the $20 for preference points for the special deer and elk if you plan on applying for another combo tag within the next couple years.

I think Buzz is referring to the bonus points. That is for sure worth the $20 if you are planning future hunts in MT.

Yep...bonus, like you say MT couldnt complicate things more if they tried.

I'm applying on a NR form that you have to get via email for cripes sake...beats driving to Billings though.

Could someone please explain a little better the preference vs bonus point deal?

Your saying save the $50 and don't get a preference point?

That's funny you guys say $20 for the bonus point but the application says nothing about $20. Just has a box to check by the deer permit area. It does however have a box and a dollar amount for the preference point. . This shouldn't be that hard to understand but I guess I'm a lil touched. Lol.

2012 Montana Deer & Elk Permit Application

Deer Permit $5 + Bonus point $2 +Elk Permit $9 + Bonus point $2 = $18 for permit & bonus point appl.

Perhaps the total was rounded up to $20.

Last edited:
Another "add-on question". I am not going to hunt Montana for deer or elk this year... other hunts already planned. If the odds of drawing a combo tag are about 100%, as I understand it, then I would have to turn in my license and only get 80% back. I think I would lose $170 about. I was going to apply because, as I understand, it's the only way to get those bonus points for the more convented areas.

Am I wrong and can someone set me straight. I am non-resident. Thanks in advance.

good luck to all
the dog

Definitely do points! I just bought a point in Utah for Mtn Goat for $10 and in ten years when I'm ready to actually apply I'll put in the full fee with 10 points. I really wish Montana would do something like this instead of forcing people to pay the full fee for sheep, goat and moose just to get it back in 3 months EVERY YEAR. Anyway, just a gripe I guess.

they do that too keep the low income hunter out of the draw's there..... alot of B.S. in my opinion, Idaho does that for residents for moose, goat, and sheep, so I gotta fork over, over $300 for sheep and moose just too get it back in 2 months, retarded....:mad: can't afford too hardly put in anywhere else..... well maybe not... but you get my point....:D
Matt

they do that too keep the low income hunter out of the draw's there..... alot of B.S. in my opinion, Idaho does that for residents for moose, goat, and sheep, so I gotta fork over, over $300 for sheep and moose just too get it back in 2 months, retarded....:mad: can't afford too hardly put in anywhere else..... well maybe not... but you get my point....:D
Matt
That true to a point, but if they make them cheap enough, like when sheep points were $7/yr in WY, what good are they when everyone has max points?

sorry to beat this to death, but Mar15 is coming fast. Im a NR, got the green card stating I have 2 bonus points. Am I correct here: I do not have to apply for MT NR elk, but pay just the $20 for another bonus pt. And if yes, do I lose them after 2 years - if not used - as the permit application appears to suggest? Thanks~!

sorry to beat this to death, but Mar15 is coming fast. Im a NR, got the green card stating I have 2 bonus points. Am I correct here: I do not have to apply for MT NR elk, but pay just the $20 for another bonus pt. And if yes, do I lose them after 2 years - if not used - as the permit application appears to suggest? Thanks~!

MT is way confusing, but here's the first thing you need to know if you are applying as a non-resident: PREFERENCE points apply only to the combination licenses. BONUS points apply only to the limited permits. As a non-resident, you cannot earn bonus points for elk (or deer) without applying for a combo license.

As Randy stated earlier, the elk combo license is easy to draw (there were leftovers last year), so if you are looking to save $, then forego the PREFERENCE point fee of $50 and just apply for your elk combo license.

But... if you don't plan on hunting MT this year and only want to accrue BONUS points for the coveted special permits, that combo license is going to be an expensive way to accrue the bonus point even with the 80% refund. It's unfortunate, but if you do not apply for an elk combo license, then you cannot accrue another BONUS point this year.

Last edited:
bummer was afraid of that but thank you for the clarification. My first elk hunt ever was 2010 MT, then same spot in 2011, did well both years, but the $$ is driving me out of the game, too bad they are pricing this state for people wealthier than thou. CO (no griz, no wolves, much cheaper) here we come.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back