Anxiously awaiting Wyoming Non-Res elk drawing results...

Interesting.

Wyoming, by statute, issues 7,250 NR elk tags. So, that means over 16,000 did not draw.

Wyoming G&F published the stats showing that going into the 2019 draw there were over 87,000 NRs who had at least one elk preference point. If only 23,000 actually applied, how many of the other 64,000 are just buying points and waiting to jump in when the time is right?

Given that 64,000 of those 87,000 did not even apply, and a large number will probably buy a point during the point purchase period, I expect point creep in Wyoming to be around for a long, long time, probably getting worse each passing year. All the more reason to burn points whenever possible.

Not sure of the total number of type 6 tags but Type 6 tags are not included in the 7250 NR allocation. Also not sure how many NR's would use their PP on a type 6 tag but when all is said and done in 2019 there will be close to 13,500 NR elk tags issued in Wyoming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.

Wyoming, by statute, issues 7,250 NR elk tags. So, that means over 16,000 did not draw.

Wyoming G&F published the stats showing that going into the 2019 draw there were over 87,000 NRs who had at least one elk preference point. If only 23,000 actually applied, how many of the other 64,000 are just buying points and waiting to jump in when the time is right?

Given that 64,000 of those 87,000 did not even apply, and a large number will probably buy a point during the point purchase period, I expect point creep in Wyoming to be around for a long, long time, probably getting worse each passing year. All the more reason to burn points whenever possible.

There might be more depressing posts out there somewhere in the universe. But I sure don't know of them. :(

Interesting.

Randy, WOW! those numbers are shocking. People want to hunt in wyoming

are we rolling down hill like a snow ball heading for hell

My son drew the Type 4 tag for unit 7. Will be fun to spend the time w/ him and learn a new area. Anyone know Buzz's home address so I can kidnap him when the hunt rolls around :) LOL

My buddy drew also. We will be staying at the wright hotel. Good luck.

I grew up in Wright, good luck. There are some big elk in that unit. I would consider paying a trespass fee or getting a guide if I were you public access can be difficult. A lot of the area that looks public isn't because of coal mines.

Drew our second choice on a party app. 33-6. A new year and a new unit. Was hoping to get back to Unit 7 again but I'm happy to have a tag.

Keep trying to burn my points and seem to pick the wrong unit. Every time I pick a unit that looks promising, more people jump in. This time we were trying for grandfather, father, son hunt, so we picked a unit to use our combined 6 points that took at least 5 points last year. No luck.

Interesting.

Another point for me this year. Other plans in another state. I hope to burn my points for WY in the next few years.

Interesting.

As mulecreek pointed out, I don't think there was a differentiation between full price tags (1,2, 9, etc.) and the cow/calf type 6 and 7's in the 23k figure. If the type 6 and 7 were included in the 23,000 who applied, that could be taken as worse or better depending on how you look at it.

What it would tell me is that wayyyy less than 23,000 are applying for the 7250 full price tags. But, the down side is that more and more of the 87k with points are NOT applying and just stacking points.

Mulecreek also has the total number of elk tags issued to NRs right as well, more like 13,500 total go to NR's when considering the cow/calf tags in the initial draw, plus any tags issued to NR's in the leftover draw.

Either way, its apparent that Wyoming is managing elk correctly, scientifically, and on a sustainable path with very good cow/calf ratio's and bull to cow ratio's (for the most part). The success rates speak for themselves as well...leading to huge demand for the quality Wyoming is providing. IMO, Wyoming provides the best balance of LE, General, and opportunity while not sacrificing quality on either LE or general tags. I would find it pretty hard to believe a better over-all approach to elk management exists. Wyoming is clearly wayyy out in front of other states in that regard. By not pounding on elk in the general areas 11 weeks a season, for decades and decades...we still have a lot of elk that utilize public lands, rather than public lands being devoid of elk.

Exactly why point creep is happening, management matters and good stuff sells itself.

Can someone maybe answer this question for me: I put in for a type 7 cow elk and a type 6 antelope tag. My draw results show only the type 7 cow results (unsuccessful). What does this mean for the antelope tag? Are those draws later or something?

Can someone maybe answer this question for me: I put in for a type 7 cow elk and a type 6 antelope tag. My draw results show only the type 7 cow results (unsuccessful). What does this mean for the antelope tag? Are those draws later or something?

Antelope draw is in June.

As mulecreek pointed out, I don't think there was a differentiation between full price tags (1,2, 9, etc.) and the cow/calf type 6 and 7's in the 23k figure. If the type 6 and 7 were included in the 23,000 who applied, that could be taken as worse or better depending on how you look at it.

What it would tell me is that wayyyy less than 23,000 are applying for the 7250 full price tags. But, the down side is that more and more of the 87k with points are NOT applying and just stacking points.

Mulecreek also has the total number of elk tags issued to NRs right as well, more like 13,500 total go to NR's when considering the cow/calf tags in the initial draw, plus any tags issued to NR's in the leftover draw.

Either way, its apparent that Wyoming is managing elk correctly, scientifically, and on a sustainable path with very good cow/calf ratio's and bull to cow ratio's (for the most part). The success rates speak for themselves as well...leading to huge demand for the quality Wyoming is providing. IMO, Wyoming provides the best balance of LE, General, and opportunity while not sacrificing quality on either LE or general tags. I would find it pretty hard to believe a better over-all approach to elk management exists. Wyoming is clearly wayyy out in front of other states in that regard. By not pounding on elk in the general areas 11 weeks a season, for decades and decades...we still have a lot of elk that utilize public lands, rather than public lands being devoid of elk.

Exactly why point creep is happening, management matters and good stuff sells itself.

good post buzz

Was my first year applying in Wyoming, after a couple years of buying points. But, my primary plan for the fall is to cash in my CO points so I swung for the fences in the random. Didn't connect. Oh well.

Interesting.

This is what confuses me, you see studies and warnings claiming that hunting is dying, that youth recruitment if not improved will spell the end of hunting, baby boomers are dying and taking hunting with them but then you see numbers like this and it sure seems like hunting is only growing and getting more popular.

This is what confuses me, you see studies and warnings claiming that hunting is dying, that youth recruitment if not improved will spell the end of hunting, baby boomers are dying and taking hunting with them but then you see numbers like this and it sure seems like hunting is only growing and getting more popular.

What you are seeing is fewer hunters but hunting many more places, many more species per year than was the norm years ago. At least, that is the only way I can interpret them.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back