Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Anxiously awaiting Wyoming Non-Res elk drawing results...

Cashed in points to get a GEN tag. I read too much about the general hunts in WY to keep hording points. Thankfully I had enough to bring along a new hunter. Should be a fun time.

I got lucky and drew a Gen tag (2 yrs in a row). Both my sons drew cow tags. Wyoming has been good to us the last several years. Congrats to everyone else that drew.

BigFin- Yep, gotta have a random component for me to bother. The fewer the random tags, the less likely I am to apply.

Congrats to all who drew.

In Wyoming this year, we applied for six elk hunts; me, Marcus, Michael, Beau, Matthew, and our sweepstakes winner. We drew three. One was dead ass luck, with Michael drawing one of the very few random tags in a really good unit. With one point, I hoped to have better than 50% odds in a unit with terrible access and drew, which is not a big surprise and comes with a lot of challenges where I may wish I had my money back. Beau had six points and based on application trends, the regular draw should have been possible for him, with this unit having historically unpredictable patterns in the special draw and rather predictable patterns in the regular draw. He did draw in the less expensive regular draw, with similar odds to if he had been in the special. The unit has lots of outfitted non-resident hunters who prefer the special draw, making the regular draw an overlooked opportunity for those at the mid-tier point level.

No doubt, you can't beat gambler's luck like Michael had. With a bit of research and staying away from the glory units or those that hit the research service lists, people with lower point totals still have a chance in Wyoming. That 25% random chance is what makes Wyoming so attractive to non-residents, compared to the pure preference point states like Colorado.
“Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that this letter finds you, and finds you well.” - Your friend, Andy Dufresne

That little bit of hope is all it takes. I hadn't really planned on hunting Wyoming elk this season, but I threw my application in anyway. With 3 elk points, I thought a general would have been a probability, but instead I had started planning on a pronghorn and maybe an archery deer hunt somewhere on the drive back, so I put in for tougher draw in case luck smiled on me. I was ice fishing yesterday and checked the results while waiting for the perch to come through and sure enough, luck smiled and I drew one of the three 45-09 tags in the regular random, so elk in Wyoming with a bow in my hand it is.

Now the planning starts in earnest. This will be my first WY hunting trip, and I welcome any helpful general (or specific!) information that people may have. I'm very excited and September can't come soon enough! Also, if any Hunttalkers are going to be in that unit/area in September, I'd be happy to meet up and share some tales and maybe an adult beverage or two.

Drew a tag with 2 points in the random that took most 10+ points to draw this year. I'm one lucky SOB. Beer will taste damn good at 5 o'clock.

Meh. For you, that's an average tag at best!

Unlike Flatrocks early April fools joke... I actually did pull a 100-1 tag!
Looking forward to getting back into the red desert after hunting for pronghorn there last year!
Buzz, you wanna ride around in a Honda Accord in October?
Good luck everyone!

I have two buddies who drew the cow tag. Good luck we will be out there camping in the middle. If we see/find a big one I will share info. Feel free to contact me.

Could a guy pull that accord over and park along I80 and go hunt ? Asking for a friend....

According to the Division J Supervisor at the WHP they will tag your vehicle after 24 hrs of being parked along the Interstate then tow it .

According to WG&F there were 23,751 elk apps this year, 23,080 last year.

According to WG&F there were 23,751 elk apps this year, 23,080 last year.

Interesting.

Wyoming, by statute, issues 7,250 NR elk tags. So, that means over 16,000 did not draw.

Wyoming G&F published the stats showing that going into the 2019 draw there were over 87,000 NRs who had at least one elk preference point. If only 23,000 actually applied, how many of the other 64,000 are just buying points and waiting to jump in when the time is right?

Given that 64,000 of those 87,000 did not even apply, and a large number will probably buy a point during the point purchase period, I expect point creep in Wyoming to be around for a long, long time, probably getting worse each passing year. All the more reason to burn points whenever possible.

Interesting.

Wyoming, by statute, issues 7,250 NR elk tags. So, that means over 16,000 did not draw.

Wyoming G&F published the stats showing that going into the 2019 draw there were over 87,000 NRs who had at least one elk preference point. If only 23,000 actually applied, how many of the other 64,000 are just buying points and waiting to jump in when the time is right?

Given that 64,000 of those 87,000 did not even apply, and a large number will probably buy a point during the point purchase period, I expect point creep in Wyoming to be around for a long, long time, probably getting worse each passing year. All the more reason to burn points whenever possible.

I did not apply, just another pt for all 3 the next 2 years. After my 15 year anniversary trip too Florida than I will be burning some pts.
Matt

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back