MT Late Season Fun

mtmiller

GuNR spent too much time in a kennel the last couple weeks, so we went exploring. RatFink gave me some good tips and we hit the road.

One night in the pick-up and GuNR was up and ready to go.

Let's go.
1-3.jpg

We did lots of walking, but few birds. Luckily we got a nice double as light faded. First went down hard, but the second tried to make a run for it. No match.
3-4.jpg

Hero shot on the way back to the pick-up.
7-1.jpg

Of course I had to get in a shot when we got back to the motel...er...pick-up.
11-1.jpg

awesome pics as usual...that bird in the second pic is like what the hell is going on

Quick call to Fink and figured out a game plan for day two.

Picked up this bird pretty quickly. It's early, let try something new and pull out the camera.;)

6-1.jpg

5-3.jpg

Headed to the next field and this guy jumped up right away. Not a big sharpie fan, but this is for GuNR....right.:D
7-2.jpg

A little pissed when I saw a few pheasant flush out of range because I shot this guy, but apparently they weren't alone. Picked up two within 10 minutes.

As planned, I just winged this guy so GuNR could stretch the legs.
8-2.jpg

Another fun day in the field with my hunting partner.
11-2.jpg

The drought has been so bad here we dont have any birds left havent been out this year or last year for that matter. Sure looks like a good time!

How's the shotgun been treating ya?

How's the shotgun been treating ya?

It worked pretty good this weekend. I missed two birds that I should have gotten, but other than that the steel and lead ran into feathers pretty good.:D

Great pics!

Your dog should be a model. You always get a great shot while he's looking at camera. Not an easy thing to do with humans or dogs...

This morning I hoped to get a quick limit and get back to work. Someone beat me to where I wanted to be, but I figured I could scratch a limit in another place. Didn't work out so well. Put on a couple miles with no birds flushed. Headed to another spot and picked up a couple pretty quickly. GuNR locked up on a bird for about 10 seconds. His partner, confused, didn't know which side to the Russian Olive the bird would get up on, but guessed right for once. Very cool on GuNR's part.

Once again, a planned winging.
6-2.jpg

One more to fill the bag, but there were others hunting the area I wanted to be. No problem, I had a good few days, so I just cut across the flat land. After 1/2 mile, GuNR got birdy and a hen got up. What's this? Maybe I should get the gun ready. Couple steps further and my third roster for the bag got up...nice. Emptied the gun and continued on. A little later, 20 sharpies got up and I got the look. I figured they were all gone, but put another couple in the tubes. Good call, one stragler got up. GuNR is worn out from the last few days and spending 3 nights in the back of a pick-up, we are ready to go home.
10-2.jpg

Just had to make a quick stop on the way home to document the memories.
13-1.jpg

Fun weekend.

Craig, thanks for sharing. You and your dogs always seem to show the reasons that people fall so hard into bird hunting.

As always, I see one of your posts and know I'll see some awesome photography and get jealous.:D
I think you could make a photo book or movie of GuNR's adventures and sell it, that dog looks like he simply loves life!
Seriously, some of your photography needs to at least be in some calendars, great shots.

Last edited:
Nice job getting GuNR some work. I'm jealous.

As for the pics... most people won't ever be as good at something in their entire life as you are at composing pictures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back