Mrs. Fin's Slot Limit

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to too much travel, Mrs. Fin have a terrible and lingering bout with COVID in May, and some bad weather events, my summer of walleye fishing was cut short and didn't start until yesterday. Better late than never.

The problem with some of these reservoirs is that you either get them too big or too small. Mrs. Fin has this self-imposed 15-20" slot limit. Today, we had three of them that didn't sneak in under the wire.

I almost didn't measure the two 21-22", but she called me out and grabbed the Hawg Trough. Over the side they went, with not even the slightest contemplation by Mrs. Fin.
IMG_0416.jpeg

IMG_0414.jpeg

I knew better than to measure the 26" she caught as the first fish of the morning.
IMG_0401.jpeg

The good news is that over the last two days there were plenty of those 16-19" fish that fit within her slot limit. The Newberg freezers will again have walleye in them; at least for a while. Hard to beat a couple days of 80F with 5mph winds and fish that acted like they were mad at our crankbaits.
IMG_0396.jpeg
Now back to the normal routines of life, until Mrs. Fin decides she wants more walleyes. Hope you all get a few days to go do something you find very relaxing and enjoyable and when you do it, the weather is on your side.

Nice fish. You seem to have a penchant for a certain pattern of shirt when walleye fishing. I also noticed you still have the spare buttons attached at the bottom of the shirt. That seems smart since if you lose a button from a shirt then you know where to find the spare. On the other hand, perhaps are setting yourself up for distraction when the spare buttons snag on whatever.

Looks like you all had a great time.

Nice looking fish! I guess I feel fortunate my wife doesn't have a "slot limit"!

Pretty rare the wind isn’t blowing up there. Glad you got a couple nice days and the fish cooperated.

Thanks to too much travel, Mrs. Fin have a terrible and lingering bout with COVID in May, and some bad weather events, my summer of walleye fishing was cut short and didn't start until yesterday. Better late than never.

The problem with some of these reservoirs is that you either get them too big or too small. Mrs. Fin has this self-imposed 15-20" slot limit. Today, we had three of them that didn't sneak in under the wire.

I almost didn't measure the two 21-22", but she called me out and grabbed the Hawg Trough. Over the side they went, with not even the slightest contemplation by Mrs. Fin.
View attachment 227793

View attachment 227792

I knew better than to measure the 26" she caught as the first fish of the morning.
View attachment 227791

The good news is that over the last two days there were plenty of those 16-19" fish that fit within her slot limit. The Newberg freezers will again have walleye in them; at least for a while. Hard to beat a couple days of 80F with 5mph winds and fish that acted like they were mad at our crankbaits.
View attachment 227794
Now back to the normal routines of life, until Mrs. Fin decides she wants more walleyes. Hope you all get a few days to go do something you find very relaxing and enjoyable and when you do it, the weather is on your side.
Teach me the way, the truth, and the light!? 🤣 I think I know where you’re at by the looks, lost a $14 lure there if it’s where I think! Haha! Is “the key to catching big walleye” gonna be included in outdoor class?!?

I just left out of Bozeman yesterday after spending a few days in Big Sky / YC ....I knew I should have looked you up to take me fishing ! Those are some nice ones.

I confess that I was anticipating an inappropriate punch line. Pleasantly disappointed.

Great fishing. I have yet to wet a line this year.

I am just a bit jealous right now Randy! Those are some dandies.
Although we "dodged" the pandemic of '20-21, the wife and are are currently enjoying the pleasantries of Covid 19 ourselves. Brutal!

The lodge i've been to in Manitoba has a similar slot limit. We fish Walleye in the morning for the shore lunch then hit other spots for pike and smallmouth. Must be right because the fish is always delicious.

Looks like a great trip! Definitely need to go up there one of these days.

So cool that your life partner loves to do some of the things that you also love. And she seems to have picked well on her choice of boat drivers.

I think I could be persuaded to increase the upper end of the slot by a couple of inches.

Dang. That’s what I’m talking about. Well done. A few big pike thrown in and I would be heaven!

Nice walleyes.

Fresh Splashes…?

Fresh Bait…..?

There’s gotta be a summer TV series in here somewhere. Then again, enough mixing business w/pleasure. Hang a sign “Gone Fishin, See Ya Next Fall”

Back