MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Mr. Buddy propane heater.

I doubt I would need to leave the heater on overnight. Good to know that they seem to be safe to do so if needed. mtmuley

We have used the Big Buddy and the regular Buddy for years in tents. We keep the propane tank outside and use the hose. We are firm believers in Damp Rid to cut down on humidity. Have used the Damp Rid for years in our little trailer cabin where we run a catalytic during the winter. The only knock we have on the Big Buddy is that the fan powered by the batteries is a little noisy so we use a cheesy little tent fan that is so quiet we sometimes forget to turn it off.

I used mine up in Idaho last fall and about 10 minutes after firing it up it started raining in the tent. If there is a lot of moisture around they do the opposite of drying stuff out! I have had times when it worked well and wasn't an issue but on that particular hunt it was next to useless. Wood stove would have been way better but I didn't bring it.....never leaving home without it again!

I should add that was not a canvas tent but a Cabelas Bighorn. Might make a big difference.

Ya, I'm aware that the manufacturer believes them to be safe, and we have never had a problem, but seeing the effects of CO poisoning makes me a little nervous.

Not a big deal to just turn it on in the morning. We have left it on in the vestibule to keep things warm and dry clothes, but not our sleeping area.

We use a big buddy with a 20lb tank and hose kit. Tank is kept outside and hose runs into tent and to heater. CO2 detector for added safety. Usually only need one burner at night for our GP small tent, which has some built in ventilation. We've used it at approx. 9000' a few times with no troubles.

We have used them in some fashion for years. We only use it for a limited time in the morning and evening. I probably over-ventilate so have never had much of an issuee with condensation. I tried a nuway propane heater. It was dry but didn't put out much heat compared to the big buddy. Wood would be preferred, I suppose, but it is more of a pain than I am willing to put up with. We just sleep at the tent anyway so don't want to spend a bunch of time monkeying around with anything. Plus we often hunt where there isn't wood available.....

I spent many nights in the field (Army camping) using a Buddy heater. We could get propane from the support platoon so I was always warm and dry ( a feat at Ft Lewis WA). With the relative safety of them i say they are good to go. That being said I AM a wood stove fan in a BIG way. Where we hunting we have all of the wood we could possibly burn and I love the dry heat and ability to cook/heat water with it.

Back