Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Mountain rifle suggestions

Aussie_hunter_JD

G'day guys,

Looking at getting an all round rifle for backpack hunting and still unsure on what to get. Set on calibre as 30-06 but not sure on make.

Sako A7 is leading the charge at this stage.

Probably should mention what I don't want.

Had bad experiences with kimbers,
Don't like the feel of A-Bolts and custom is out of my price range.

Bear in mind the price for any gun will be between 50-100% more expensive than the states.

Appreciate any suggestions

The Sako A7 and Tikka would be pretty similar. I'd go with whichever you find at the price you like.

I'd consider a Ruger American. My 338F weights a whopping 7 lbs, scoped. Wide range of calibers available also.

Another Ruger American fan. I have one in left hand ,7mm08 .Excellent shooter.Topped with a Nikon 3-9x40 and ready to go.

A remington mountain rifle isn't a bad platform. They tend to shoot quite well, and are light enough to pack around all day.

It also depends on what price range you are looking at. There are lots of good rifles out there, depending on your money limit.

For modest money, I am a real fan of the Ruger American, also.

Another Ruger American fan for the money. The Savage lightweight hunter is another one I'd consider at a reasonable price range. I personally like the tang safety a lot but a 3 position M70 style safety even better. I have a Kimber Montana re-barreled with a fluted Pac-Nor #3 in 270 that shoots really well now, and a Rifles Inc 300 Win mag in a lightweight 70 with a fluted #3 also. They will get the mountain use for me depending on what I'm hunting.

Thanks for all the suggestions, can honestly say I hadn't even considered ruger but I'll add them to the list to check out.

I don't mind the t3, I find them very similar to the A7 but with not quite as nice a feel.

I'll keep running my Leupold VX-R 4-12x50 for a while but I will eventually get a vixen 2.5-15x50. Good variability between stalking thick stuff and dialling out for those 600 yard shots and beautiful clarity in low light. My brother has one and a swarovski Z5. Comparing them in low light we rate it

1. Vixen
2. My VX-R
3. Z5

Interesting that the Z5 is nearly $1000 more than both others. Paying for the name type thing I think.

I'm in no rush to get it as the red stags will drop their antlers within the next month so I'm happy to just wait things out for a while and see how it goes. Need to sell my Sako 75 first Anyways.

The next thing will be whether to reload or not. I always did for my 300WM but 30 cal Barnes ttsx are over $90 a box of 50 now, just stupid and that's before brass and powder!.
Might go to good old corelokts or try and find some factory with a reasonable bc. Or a cheaper bullet to reload that works well over short and medium range shooting on big framed animals. Decisions decisions!

I've never considered the A7 to be worth the extra scratch.

A "mountain" rifle and a 50 mm objective go together like oil and water to me.

I've never considered the A7 to be worth the extra scratch.

A "mountain" rifle and a 50 mm objective go together like oil and water to me.

Sorry should have mentioned, I know I said mountain rifle, that was more to get the line of thought about light rifles but I want it as an all rounder. I have back and shoulder trouble and lugging 10lb rifles around all day are a pain in the neck (literally) so every shaving off a bit would help.

You can't go wrong with a 30-30 for a short barrel and decent distance and light weight. But, I will also toss in another vote for the Ruger American. How about finding someone in the States to borrow a rifle from when you come over to hunt?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back