Mountain rifle suggestions

What do people think of Remington mountain? Not sure I want to pay $2k but my remmy 700. 270 is a beautiful rifle.

How hard is it to get after market or gun parts? You can usually find new takeoff mountain barrels for $100 and "build" a rifle pretty cheap if you can source an action.

I currently have 2 mountain rifles, both shoot really well. One is original detachable mag, the other is one I put together with parts. I think I'm into it about $400, got the action for $200 and found barrel, stock, and floor plate for another $200. It shoots as well as I can... I plan to convert it to ADL and put a lighter stock on it to lighten it up a bit more. A smith will screw on a barrel for $100 or less.

I like the fit of them and they handle well. I had another that I let go to buy something else, it shot well, but I didn't really need another...

I think there are a lot of good options out there for light rifles these days, the only light ones I will be purchasing in the near future are Kimbers, YMMV.

Another vote for Savage LWH... Get bored with the 30-06? Switch the barrel at home! Once you go savage, it's like buying ARs... Big kid legos!

How hard is it to get after market or gun parts? You can usually find new takeoff mountain barrels for $100 and "build" a rifle pretty cheap if you can source an action.

I currently have 2 mountain rifles, both shoot really well. One is original detachable mag, the other is one I put together with parts. I think I'm into it about $400, got the action for $200 and found barrel, stock, and floor plate for another $200. It shoots as well as I can... I plan to convert it to ADL and put a lighter stock on it to lighten it up a bit more. A smith will screw on a barrel for $100 or less.

I like the fit of them and they handle well. I had another that I let go to buy something else, it shot well, but I didn't really need another...

I think there are a lot of good options out there for light rifles these days, the only light ones I will be purchasing in the near future are Kimbers, YMMV.

You can but like everything you pay for It!

I haven't seen any decent after market barrels for under $1k.

I thought about using my rem 700. 270 as a donor rifle to build from but it was passed down to me from my father, I shot my first stag with it when I was 12 and I'd like to pass it down to my kids one day (told the missus we'll have 10 kids if it takes that to get me a son to take hunting!).

I have a LH stainless/wood .270 Winchester Model 70 that with a 6X 42mm objective scope sling and loaded ammo weighs about 9.5 lbs. It's been up and over all kindsa mountains, so I guess you'd call it a good mountain rifle. Gotta admit, a 7x57 Ruger #1 International is gonna get some use this year.....

My choice would probably be Tikka T3 what about a fluted model? The Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather would be a good choice. I have 3 Ruger American's and they are shooters also

Bummer, too bad parts are so expensive, I was going to suggest a Mauser 98 re-barreled and re-stocked with an after market trigger. That way you can pick and choose what you want. I have one in a .257 Roberts that weighs about 6 pounds loaded with the scope. I also built one in 22-250 that weighs about the same.

Sold my 7mmRM and decided to pull the trigger on a new gun (pardon the pun).

Ended up going with...

SAKO A7 I'm 30-06.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, very nearly got a Remington mountain but in the end the price, shootability and accuracy of the sako got me. Owned a few and they've always lived up to their 5 shots inside an 1" at 100 yard guarantee.

Cheers,

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back