Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mountain rifle suggestions

Yea, think the A7 is about 1.5 lbs less. You check out the Finnlite?

Yeh I know, I figure any little bit helps though.

I have seriously considered the tikka t3x super light. Basically a tikka with a finnlight barrel and around 2.7 kg or around 6lb.
I love finnlights but they're about $3000 new and I just don't have that coin available. Mind you the A7 is $1600, nothing here is cheap.

With the Tikka T3 lite you will be a little lighter than the A7, top it with some Talley light weights and a reasonbly light scope and you have a pretty light set up for less money than an A7.

The tikka is a solid value. the 'feel' issue being the most common. Don't thing be ever heard an accuracy complaint.

With the Tikka T3 lite you will be a little lighter than the A7, top it with some Talley light weights and a reasonbly light scope and you have a pretty light set up for less money than an A7.

Not really,

You're looking at $1250 for the tikka, $130-150 for Talley rings and for a 3-9x40 VX2 $600.

Like i say Australia is a bloody rip-off! Haha

Wow $1200 for the Tikka, they really do gig you. Saw the T3 lite stainless on sale here for $598.00 this week.

Wow $1200 for the Tikka, they really do gig you. Saw the T3 lite stainless on sale here for $598.00 this week.

Yeh I wasn't kidding when I said add 50-100% of the price you pay over there. My Tc bonecollector is $650 in US and was $1300 to order here.

It's like that with everything in Australia though. That's why lots of people buy online from the states, cheaper to buy and have it shipped here than to buy it from our own country. We have poor postal service too, I've bought items in Aus and US on the same day and had the American packages arrive first! They're introducing a tax now on US stuff we buy because businesses in Aus are complaining, just another way for the govt to make money, because asking businesses to be more competitive wouldn't make sense hey!

Stainless synthetic, beautiful rifle but weighs 8lb bare.

Johncushman - if only! While you guys are hunting the rut I'll be walking down the Isle this year. We're planning on heading to the states in 2018
Might be cheaper in the long run to lighten your 75. Doubt you'll get it to Tikka/A7 weight, but I'm thinking an Edge construction stock from McMillan would cut most of a pound off. Just another thought...

My primary big game rifle is an older Remington Mountain Rifle LSS. It was originally chambered in .280 Remington but a local gunsmith trued up the action and re-chambered it to .280 Ackley Improved a few years back for me. It's light weight, but not quite as light as some of the newer "mountain" rifles, mainly due to the laminate stock.

I bought a new remington mountain rifle a few years back. Unless they changed the stock since then I hate it. The grip and fore end are something I would expect on a varmit rifle. I restocked mine which led to a complete rebuild. If I were to do it again I think I'd buy a model 7 and restock it. Or just use the factory plastic stock, we all have them and thy do just fine.

The tikka and the 70 extreme would be on my short list as well.

They must be making them different. Mines a older one, and it's very light, and thin in every location. grip, forearm etc. are all thinned down. If I'm not using it other family members grab it up to take. I love it.

The A7 is a great rifle. I love my 300 wsm. It is all I take into the mountains. Mine is the Tecomate version. Spouse has a winchester model 70 classic 300 wsm and it's a great rifle also.It will knock the stuffing out of anything you can hunt in Wyoming, cow bison last year only went less than 100 yards after the shot with 180 gr accubond bullets.

I picked up a Savage LWH in 7mm08 this year and love it. I had to replace the cheap, stupid plastic trigger guard with a metal one since it failed when tightening the action bolt, but since then it has been awesome. 5.5 lbs of tack-driving stainless steel awesomeness.

It's a little loud due to the barrel, but recoil is easy-peasy and the 120 TTSX's are hitting sub-MOA. I figure it is good to go for muleys out to 400 and elk out to 300 if I ever put in for non-Muzzleloader elk.

They must be making them different. Mines a older one, and it's very light, and thin in every location. grip, forearm etc. are all thinned down. If I'm not using it other family members grab it up to take. I love it.

I'm not sure if its still that way but mine was. I ordered it without looking based on others mountain rifles I had handles previously. It was a bell and carlson stock but man it was weird to put on a mountain rifle. People with older models always look at me like I'm crazy.......maybe so but that stock was aweful.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back