• 6.5 PRC

• 7mm-08

• .280 Rem

• .280 AI

• .308 Win

• .270 Win

Results are only viewable after voting.
Since we're headed into the weeds . . .

280 Mashly-Improved with an adult hung bbl, edge steering wheel, 700 DNA, good trigger. bling fluted bolt & bbl, skelled handle, tasteful sparce muted cera-color appointment (bolt flutes, perhaps action.. only) blasted stnlss all other metal.

7.5 all in...

Seriously 280 AI, always wanted one.
My Kimber Hunter 280AI cost me under $800 with shipping several years ago. Weighs 5.75 pounds. Add less than a pound for a Leopold 2.5 to 8X scope.

It is so close to a 7mm mag, maybe 20 feet per second less. Great stock design, big recoil pad, not a kicker. Very efficient with powder. The thin 24 inch barrel does heat up. First two shots touch at 100 yards. third shot spreads the group to just under an inch and then it shoots 1.5 inches.
It has a great factory trigger, a mauser action and a 3 position safety. And it loves Barnes bullets and being stainless and synthetic it is weatherproof

I have read that Kimber is discontinuing the 280AI in the less expensive Hunter model

Also high quality factory brass for the 280Ai is easy to get and there is plenty of loading date for it. What is not like about the 280AI. And lastly you could use 280 Remington factory ammo in a pinch at a slight loss of velocity

I highly doubt he’d be building them with a factory Remington trigger, but I could be wrong.

Aftermarket 700 triggers still aren't particularly reliable. I've had timneys get all gummy on me. Trigger tech has had some pretty notable recalls and a lot of high level precision rifle competitors carry spare triggers with them in case/when their TT diamond shits the bed. Then there's the lighter fluid people keep on hand for jewells.. I'll concede that a lot of these problems coincide with very light trigger pull weights.

Maybe i've been compromised by the internet tikka dudes but I trust a tikka to keep tickin after getting filthy more than a 700 or clone. And it'll run smoother than most of them while doing it, for less $.

Last edited:
A "mountain gun" is meant to shoot animals, not just paper. Is a 270 that has 20-30% less recoil just as effective for killing big animals as 30-06 ... especially dangerous big animals? I'm sure Jack O'Connor thought so (for whatever it's worth) but that would imply 30-06 is overkill. Tough pill for me to swallow. Maybe modern bullets have changed the game somewhat but I think I'd still want some heavier bullets than 6.5 Creedmore or 270 in my gun if I suddenly encountered grizzly tracks in the snow.
OLE' Jack did think enough of the '06 to have his good wife use it ,stoked with solids for hunting Cape Buffalo .........just saying.

With all the 6,5 talk, mabe I should find/have made/ a custom stock for my 1904
6.5x 58mm PORTUGUESE MAUSER..trigger has a heavy pull and of course, the barrel would have to be cut WAY back........it DOES shoot 120,140 and even those 160gr. long ''cruise missles'' with some degree of ''speed goat''!! but why bother when my .284 win. would work just fine!!!

In such a light rifle I’d go 6.5 or 6 cm for the recoil reduction. A 5.5 pound .270 or .308 would be a little snappy.

I think the Tikka offers a ton of advantages for this type of build. I might be biased because my last 700 was cursed by a Crow burial ground, but my Tikka is a better functioning and more accurate rifle. They remind me of the Glock of the rifle world.

OLE' Jack did think enough of the '06 to have his good wife use it ,stoked with solids for hunting Cape Buffalo .........just saying.
That's nuts. Not legal where I hunt in Africa. I killed a couple of buff very efficiently with only 250 gr 375 H&H but the composition of those bullets is a world of difference from 220 gr 30-06 solids they were shooting back then. She just as well used a spear!

That's nuts. Not legal where I hunt in Africa. I killed a couple of buff very efficiently with only 250 gr 375 H&H but the composition of those bullets is a world of difference from 220 gr 30-06 solids they were shooting back then. She just as well used a spear!
Figure JACK got away with a lot of things ?

Aftermarket 700 trigger still aren't particularly reliable. I've had timneys get all gummy on me. Trigger tech has had some pretty notable recalls and a lot of high level precision rifle competitors carry spare triggers with them in case/when their TT diamond shits the bed. Then theres the lighter fluid people keep on hand for jewells.. I'll concede that a lot of these problems coincide with very light trigger pull weights.

Maybe i've been compromised by the internet tikka dudes but I trust a tikka to keep tickin after getting filthy more than a 700 or clone. And it'll run smoother than most of them while doing it, for less $.
I remember TT doing a voluntary recall on a specific batch of Carbide triggers manufactured in 2016/17 . I wasnts aware of any other incidents involving failures or recalls. I have a handful of TT and really like them, guess I better go do some research and make sure none of mine fall under any of the other recalls. Thanks

I remember TT doing a voluntary recall on a specific batch of Carbide triggers manufactured in 2016/17 . I wasnts aware of any other incidents involving failures or recalls. I have a handful of TT and really like them, guess I better go do some research and make sure none of mine fall under any of the other recalls. Thanks

There's a thread on snipers hide titled "triggertech failures? Hang Fires?" that covers some of it.

I think I still have three and they are a mediocre platform at best. Great marketing and a very loyal fan base, but they just don't ring my bell. I rate them in the same class as Vortex and Savage...not my cup of tea

Same class as savage :ROFLMAO:. What is mediocre about them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back