Most Dangerous Animals in the World to Hunt

Elephant is by far the top of my fear list. Hunting in Africa you could hear the trees exploding but could not hear them walk. Hunting cape buffalo got my blood pumping in the thick stuff but get to where you could see 20 yards or so and it wasn't as bad. They of course are much faster than they look. Going back next year for croc and hippo. I think the snakes freak me out more than those big animals do as your in the middle of nowhere and if you get hit with a black mamba your not going to make it. My outfit took all the animals back to camp and broke them down for jerky, or so they said. Every day they were working on vats of jerky though.

Out of curiosity, what trophy safaris do they let the meat go to waste?

I've done my fair share of hunting and the only meat I've ever seen wasted is an aoudad in Texas.
I took my Texas Aoudad home and cooked some of it up but some parts the dogs loved the jerky treats.
Hunting Ibex in Spain they let all of the animals go to waste. Just left them in the countryside. They said it was the law or something like that as they had to feed the endangered buzzard which there were 100s or maybe 1000s around. Something could have been lost in translation though.

Have no experience with denizens lurking in Bozeman, at 82 have no interest in learning of them. However have chased potentially dangerous game all over Africa for decades. I believe statistics still indicate elephant kill more big game hunters and their PH’s than all the others combined. I have lost three acquaintances to Tembo. I was knocked down by a Forest Elephant in Cameroon jungle and escaped unscathed and the elephant did not. Leopard injure more hunters than all others combined, they are equal opportunity maulers. Wound a spotted cat and he is going to jump on as many folks as he can, just does not often kill them. I can personally attest to that and have the scars to prove it. Cape buffalo can absorb a lot of lead stubbonly not realizing they are dead. Hippos and Crocs kill more local folks. Hippos leave paths that are convenient for locals to use at night returning home after a night drinking home brew And meet cranky territorial hippos returning from grazing. Hippos can be tough on fishermen and reed gatherers. Kiboko are very territorial and often have wounds fighting with other bulls. Crocs hang out at spots along rivers where plains game come to drink and cross to other side. These same places the local women come to wash clothes, bathe and gossip. Crocs also are around reed gatherers if and unstable dugout tips over...... just a few thoughts

I am well over 82 and I am still up for one more spin around the dance floor if there are any old men in Bozeman who can still dance ;)

Africa is the first place we think about when this subject comes up. And they do have some dangerous animals for sure. They have not billed them as the " Dangerous Seven" for no reason. As I have posted here in the past the hippo gave me the most embarrassing hunting moment of my life, the lion hunts always got my adrenaline flowing and the elephant, and buffalo, were also very exciting hunts. Although the crocodile kills many natives I never found it to be an exciting hunt or even a scary one. And the same with the Rhino. The leopard, to me, is a very boring hunt as it was done from a blind. Perhaps if I went on a hound/leopard hunt, it would provide more excitement . I have never tracked a wounded leopard, but to be honest a wounded-- anything --can be dangerous, especially in Africa.

I am sure the Polar Bear and Grizzly keeps Panda Bear alert. When we visited India and went on a "non-shooting" tiger hunt, it was interesting to find that the tiger is still responsible for many deaths, like the Croc and Hippo in Africa.

Our trips up the Amazon river, was always educational and many natives are killed there by snakes, insects, and fish.

which brings up scuba diving. On balance, there is possibly more dangers under water than on land--many different varieties of underwater fish, eel, snails, that are deadly.

Even the great state of Arizona has scorpions and rattlesnakes, which I hate. Texas is a lot safer now than in the past, as Gillys has closed down.

PSYCHO: sorry, I forgot. probably both. They do love both breeds of vultures in their country, but many, I would say most do take the majority of the meat home to eat. Spain is a very "testosterone" country. Hunting, Bullfighting and the appreciation of a good woman is still very much a part of their culture.

Last edited:
I had to shoot my African gemsbuck or get clobbered by her. Not sure if it was a charge or I was just in her way but they can be very dangerous. They don't take any crap from lions. Hit her in the heart on the fly straight on at fifteen yards and then again through the shoulder at twelve yards as she ran by. That one almost knocked her off her feet. A very old cow with two inches of compression rings. Way past making babies.

The meat from my hunts was processed into butang (a seasoned but not smoked jerky) and sausage to sell on the market. The lodge staff get some of the meat to take home (they particularly like dried lungs). You have to understand that the terrain and climate in many places over there is not very favourable for beef cattle. So wild game are essentially farmed on these very large estates. Hunters pay to hunt and the meat is vital for local markets and diet. It's a win win for everyone. Also, in South Africa all hunting is on private land. Any public land is national parks. Unlike North America, the game animals belong to the landowner.

Last edited:
I am well over 82 and I am still up for one more spin around the dance floor if there are any old men in Bozeman who can still dance ;)

Africa is the first place we think about when this subject comes up. And they do have some dangerous animals for sure. They have not billed them as the " Dangerous Seven" for no reason. As I have posted here in the past the hippo gave me the most embarrassing hunting moment of my life, the lion hunts always got my adrenaline flowing and the elephant, and buffalo, were also very exciting hunts. Although the crocodile kills many natives I never found it to be an exciting hunt or even a scary one. And the same with the Rhino. The leopard, to me, is a very boring hunt as it was done from a blind. Perhaps if I went on a hound/leopard hunt, it would provide more excitement . I have never tracked a wounded leopard, but to be honest a wounded-- anything --can be dangerous, especially in Africa.

I am sure the Polar Bear and Grizzly keeps Panda Bear alert. When we visited India and went on a "non-shooting" tiger hunt, it was interesting to find that the tiger is still responsible for many deaths, like the Croc and Hippo in Africa.

Our trips up the Amazon river, was always educational and many natives are killed there by snakes, insects, and fish.

which brings up scuba diving. On balance, there is possibly more dangers under water than on land--many different varieties of underwater fish, eel, snails, that are deadly.

Even the great state of Arizona has scorpions and rattlesnakes, which I hate. Texas is a lot safer now than in the past, as Gillys has closed down.

PSYCHO: sorry, I forgot. probably both. They do love both breeds of vultures in their country, but many, I would say most do take the majority of the meat home to eat. Spain is a very "testosterone" country. Hunting, Bullfighting and the appreciation of a good woman is still very much a part of their culture.

I am sure I am the only one who thought of Katherine Hepburn in the African Queen movie as I read this :)

Anyway in reference to the big bears, you certainly need to show the White bears the respect they deserve, but everything being equal it is the Grizzly that puts the fear of God into us more often than the White Bear. and, dont discount the Black Bears either. And the Wolf can also be dangerous. The Dangerous Seven, I am sure the Elephant, Cape Buffalo and Lion would get my attention, real quick Actually in Canada, the Caribou kills a lot of people on the highways.

I had to shoot my African gemsbuck or get clobbered by her. Not sure if it was a charge or I was just in her way but they can be very dangerous. They don't take any crap from lions. Hit her in the heart on the fly straight on at fifteen yards and then again through the shoulder at twelve yards as she ran by. That one almost knocked her off her feet. A very old cow with two inches of compression rings. Way past making babies.

The meat from my hunts was processed into butang (a seasoned but not smoked jerky) and sausage to sell on the market. The lodge staff get some of the meat to take home (they particularly like dried lungs). You have to understand that the terrain and climate in many places over there is not very favourable for beef cattle. So wild game are essentially farmed on these very large estates. Hunters pay to hunt and the meat is vital for local markets and diet. It's a win win for everyone. Also, in South Africa all hunting is on private land. Any public land is national parks. Unlike North America, the game animals belong to the landowner.
I have never heard of butang, did you mean biltong? These machines have a mind of their own. I recall reading somewhere that a syndicate of South African ranchers paid over two million bucks for a Cape buffalo seed bull to improve horn growth in their herds. Must have been my imagination, sounds like Texas game ranching.

Last edited:

Europe, I am new to this Forum and already look forward to your informative, intelligent, enjoyable comments. Thank you.

Ms. Europe, I can't recall the bag limit at Gilley's....
1605644833027.png

I have never heard of butang, did you mean biltong? These machines have a mind of their own. I recall reading somewhere that a syndicate of South African ranchers paid over two million bucks for a Cape buffalo seed bull to improve horn growth in their herds. Must have been my imagination, sounds like Texas game ranching.
Yes, biltong. Fat fingers and fighting the spell checker. The herd bull in charge that tried to take us when I shot mine had a red tag in his ear that cost the property owner $114K US. And he was spectacular. More important than horn growth is the strain discovered on Kruger NP that is resistant to hoof and mouth disease. At one point cape buffalo had all but been exterminated in South Africa because they carried the disease. So now they are breeding that stock to replenish the population.

Any Richard Connell fans?
my grandfather has a story from an old magazine by this guy. Hounds of Zaroff. I am told that some guy up here was inspired by the story and kidnapped women and set them free in the knik river valley and then hunted them and that a movie was made about it.

April, you once spoke about something called a Honey Badger and said it was pretty bada$$ ?? I also remember Aleena's husband hunting lions with a muzzleloader, which took a certain amount of moxy--although I assume that Aleena and a PH was backing him up with a modern day rifle.

Up here the most dangerous animal in my opinion is the coastal brownies. When in Texas we tried to stay clear of the two legged "coyotes" . Also mountain lions would scare us sometimes, but they never attacked .

Can you still hunt Rhino's ?

my grandfather has a story from an old magazine by this guy. Hounds of Zaroff. I am told that some guy up here was inspired by the story and kidnapped women and set them free in the knik river valley and then hunted them and that a movie was made about it.

April, you once spoke about something called a Honey Badger and said it was pretty bada$$ ?? I also remember Aleena's husband hunting lions with a muzzleloader, which took a certain amount of moxy--although I assume that Aleena and a PH was backing him up with a modern day rifle.

Up here the most dangerous animal in my opinion is the coastal brownies. When in Texas we tried to stay clear of the two legged "coyotes" . Also mountain lions would scare us sometimes, but they never attacked .

Can you still hunt Rhino's ?
Rhino hunting as far as I know is only done now with a dart gun. Still wouldn’t be any less dangerous I don’t guess.

Grouse flushing at your feet in the dark have pert near caused a few heart attacks I’m sure...
Yes, bird hunting can sometimes be thrilling. I was almost hit in the head by a flushing rooster last week. And then I missed two shots at him. On the wrong foot in a snow drift. Over the years I've had to fend off three others with my gun barrel. Don't believe I bagged any of them either. And once a honker aimed for me as it fell out of the sky. Also knocked it away with my gun ... and still picked up a double (a bag of five for five shots that morning ... before the big flocks started coming). It died almost as soon as it hit the ground but his head was out and pointed for me as he came down. Pearl wouldn't retreive it. "Hey man, it's right there. You pick it up." I experienced several other near misses from falling geese over the years. They have been known to kill and permanently cripple waterfowl hunters. Usually happens when a bunch of guys are hunting together and someone gets hit by another hunter's dead bird. I hunt alone usually. Two years ago I joined four others for a goose hunting trip to SK and did find the raining birds quite unnerving. One of mine nearly clobbered the guy next to me ... as in inches away from his blind.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back