Caribou Gear Tarp

Most Dangerous Animals in the World to Hunt

Grouse flushing at your feet in the dark have pert near caused a few heart attacks I’m sure...
I was hunting grouse along an old logging road once. The road had seeded with clover that had grown in thick. Both grouse and bears like to eat the clover, and there was plenty of bear scat on the road. My mind was thinking bears when a grouse flushed at my feet...

Grouse flushing at your feet in the dark have pert near caused a few heart attacks I’m sure...
Worst thing about grouse is they generally let you walk past them before they flush. It’s one thing to have something take off in front of you. But a whole other level on the pucker factor when they do it right behind you!

Last edited:
Happy Myles: Thank you. Very kind

geetar and wyodoug : And the other side of the coin---women have mentioned to me that what men tell them while standing at the bar does not always match up to their abilities later in the evening----BUT--I am sure that does not apply to you gentlemen :cool:

Harley, bag limit: good one ---see if you can find the original video of Toby Keith--I am not as good as I once was--the two girls in the first verse might work for geetar and wyodoug---both ways :)

Randi : Rhino: You can still hunt the Black in Namibia but you need very deep pockets. The white can be hunted in S. Africa. The Indian, Javan and Sumatran can not be hunted .

I will answer your pm here young lady. As to toughest, it varies tremendously. I thought the Snowcock in Nevada was very tough, any goat hunt is a challenge, with the Marco Polo being extremely so, Coues can be very challenging, my granddaughter thought chukar hunting was an effort in futility :) Yes some of the Africa hunts are challenging, but except for the Buffalo, Elephant, and Lion, not a lot more challenging than some of the things you hunt in Alaska.

as to your other question, I will answer it two ways. One, you need to get off the highways most traveled and two, some of them will not include hunting-- but still involve animals.

i.e. CAR is not open right now but when ( if--civil war ) it reopens, hunting the Lord Derby and being guided by pygmies is an unusual experience, tiger on elephants is not common, the Gorilla treks are very cool, if you want to do the camel in the desert today, I recommend Australia, as Americans are not as safe in Egypt as they were when I went. The Amazon river is unusual, but make sure you book a boat with air conditioner cabins, and, definitely make sure if you go, that you stay in one of the tree house hotels for at least a couple of nights.

Honey Badger. They are vicious, but I dont think they attack humans. But I have seen Lions run from them.

Most dangerous hunt might be dating a determined "Jewish American Princess" However there is probably no end to the list of people I just offended. Women, Jewish people, and especially Jewish American Princesses ----but if one man can be spared I have done my duty ;)

Last edited:
Have no experience with denizens lurking in Bozeman, at 82 have no interest in learning of them. However have chased potentially dangerous game all over Africa for decades. I believe statistics still indicate elephant kill more big game hunters and their PH’s than all the others combined. I have lost three acquaintances to Tembo. I was knocked down by a Forest Elephant in Cameroon jungle and escaped unscathed and the elephant did not. Leopard injure more hunters than all others combined, they are equal opportunity maulers. Wound a spotted cat and he is going to jump on as many folks as he can, just does not often kill them. I can personally attest to that and have the scars to prove it. Cape buffalo can absorb a lot of lead stubbonly not realizing they are dead. Hippos and Crocs kill more local folks. Hippos leave paths that are convenient for locals to use at night returning home after a night drinking home brew And meet cranky territorial hippos returning from grazing. Hippos can be tough on fishermen and reed gatherers. Kiboko are very territorial and often have wounds fighting with other bulls. Crocs hang out at spots along rivers where plains game come to drink and cross to other side. These same places the local women come to wash clothes, bathe and gossip. Crocs also are around reed gatherers if and unstable dugout tips over...... just a few thoughts
My dad was a PH in Zimbabwe most of his life and he got caught by a black Cape buffalo that was wounded by another PH and his client. nearly killed him and now he has his back and neck fused and lives with chronic pain! Definatly some seriously dangerous animals over there and growing up in Zimbabwe I’ve heard a lot of stories and had some close calls myself!

geetar and wyodoug : And the other side of the coin---women have mentioned to me that what men tell them while standing at the bar does not always match up to their abilities later in the evening----BUT--I am sure that does not apply to you gentlemen :cool:

Harley, bag limit: good one ---see if you can find the original video of Toby Keith--I am not as good as I once was--the two girls in the first verse might work for geetar and wyodoug---both ways :)

Since this is a hunting forum I will use this one. The only time a man thinks about a candlelight dinner is when the powder goes off.;)

Randi : Rhino: You can still hunt the Black in Namibia but you need very deep pockets. The white can be hunted in S. Africa. The Indian, Javan and Sumatran can not be hunted .

I will answer your pm here young lady. As to toughest, it varies tremendously. I thought the Snowcock in Nevada was very tough, any goat hunt is a challenge, with the Marco Polo being extremely so, Coues can be very challenging, my granddaughter thought chukar hunting was an effort in futility :) Yes some of the Africa hunts are challenging, but except for the Buffalo, Elephant, and Lion, not a lot more challenging than some of the things you hunt in Alaska.

as to your other question, I will answer it two ways. One, you need to get off the highways most traveled and two, some of them will not include hunting-- but still involve animals.

i.e. CAR is not open right now but when ( if--civil war ) it reopens, hunting the Lord Derby and being guided by pygmies is an unusual experience, tiger on elephants is not common, the Gorilla treks are very cool, if you want to do the camel in the desert today, I recommend Australia, as Americans are not as safe in Egypt as they were when I went. The Amazon river is unusual, but make sure you book a boat with air conditioner cabins, and, definitely make sure if you go, that you stay in one of the tree house hotels for at least a couple of nights.

Honey Badger. They are vicious, but I dont think they attack humans. But I have seen Lions run from them.

on closing to Harley, geetar, wyodoug: you know why all blonde jokes are one liners ---so men will remember them:cool:

Most dangerous hunt might be dating a determined "Jewish American Princess" However there is probably no end to the list of people I just offended. Women, Jewish people, and especially Jewish American Princesses ----but if one man can be spared I have done my duty ;)

Since this is a hunting forum I will use this one. The only time a man thinks about a candlelight dinner is when the powder goes off.;)

on closing to Harley, geetar, wyodoug: you know why all blonde jokes are one liners ---so men will remember them:cool:

Decades ago, my first of three trips to C.A.R was to the southern part after Western Bongo. The airport was smaller and less organized than on my third trip there. No one met me at the Bangui airport, turned out my PH was flat on his back with malaria. The army had not been paid in six months and to show their displeasure they were driving around the capital shooting up buildings. My taxi ride to a hotel was eventful to say the least. Between bursts of gunfire my driver admonished me to keep my elbow inside the car window so no one would try to rip off my wrist watch. The manager of hotel told me not to go outside. I assured him poorly in my high school French I had no plans doing so. With the aid of a young interpreter and a whole bunch of excellent pigmy I managed to get a bongo without a PH. a few years later I ventured back to Bangui to hunt the north for a Lord Dery Eland. A chap met me at the remodeled airport to inform me my PH was down with Malaria. Sound familiar? A rough long trip north resulted in a fine Eland plus a wide variety of other game. My sick PH showed up after a few days but by then I had taken almost every available type of critter on license. Turned out to be a heck of a hunt With a borrowed, battered 375. Did I forget to mention my firearms did not show up? Actually, I love the Central African Republic. Never a dull moment.

Last edited:
Anything hunted on horseback is pretty darn dangerous. Many, many more injuries by the horse hunters ride in on vs. whatever they're chasing.

Rhino hunting as far as I know is only done now with a dart gun. Still wouldn’t be any less dangerous I don’t guess.
Rhino hunting is still happening in South Africa and Namibia. It is primarily for white rhinos although both countries will export a very limited number of black rhino kills through CITES. The prices are high but some hunts are priced lower for surplus bulls who have been dehorned at some point in their life. They can be dehorned about three times and regrow their horn. Landowners stockpile the horns hoping trade will open through CITES. The bull:cow ratio is supposed to be 1:3 or you end up with bulls hurting and killing one another so hunting is still important. Sport hunting white rhinos brought them back from the brink and it is probably one of the best examples of hunting directly responsible for saving a species. It is interesting that many treehugger save the rhino websites will recognize hunting as imperative to the survival of the species. As you mentioned, there are also the dart hunts where the hunter shoots a vitamin dart and then a vet shoots a tranquilizer dart.

Rhino hunting is still happening in South Africa and Namibia. It is primarily for white rhinos although both countries will export a very limited number of black rhino kills through CITES. The prices are high but some hunts are priced lower for surplus bulls who have been dehorned at some point in their life. They can be dehorned about three times and regrow their horn. Landowners stockpile the horns hoping trade will open through CITES. The bull:cow ratio is supposed to be 1:3 or you end up with bulls hurting and killing one another so hunting is still important. Sport hunting white rhinos brought them back from the brink and it is probably one of the best examples of hunting directly responsible for saving a species. It is interesting that many treehugger save the rhino websites will recognize hunting as imperative to the survival of the species. As you mentioned, there are also the dart hunts where the hunter shoots a vitamin dart and then a vet shoots a tranquilizer dart.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. It’s amazing how hunting can save species but protecting it can do the opposite.

LOL well we went off the rails with this thread big time but all is good. In all seriousness, I was after hunting animals that also regarded YOU as prey or those which are aggressive in the defensive measures they use when you hunt them.

Even mule deer does can be aggressive. When I was 18 before I left for Marine Corps bootcamp, I went hunting and shot a doe. It was not dead but wounded and kicking about. I did not want to ruin much of the meat so I proceeded to wrestle it and tried to cut the throat. In the process I got kicked in the face and got a cut lip along with what turned out to be a shiner. My dad teased me about getting too rough with the ladies LOL.

Last edited:
Elmer Keith and Grancel Fitz voted for the mountain goat as the most dangerous game from the number of near-death experiences they had hunting them.

Fitz: "I'll contend that no buffalo can kill you any deader than a thousand-foot involuntary swan dive onto a pile of slide rock."

LOL well we went off the rails with this thread big time but all is good. In all seriousness, I was after hunting animals that also regarded YOU as prey or those which are aggressive in the defensive measures they use when you hunt them.

Even mule deer does can be aggressive. When I was 18 before I left for Marine Corps bootcamp, I went hunting and shot a doe. It was not dead but wounded and kicking about. I did not want to ruin much of the meat so I proceeded to wrestle it and tried to cut the throat. In the process I got kicked in the face and got a cut lip along with what turned out to be a shiner. My dad teased me about getting too rough with the ladies LOL.

The Polar Bear
The Grizzly
The Moose
The Cougar
The Wolf, in a pack, never alone and usually after a dog

All but the cougar show up in towns and can be a real pain in the butt.

If they persist we trap them and/or tranquilize them and take them out of town.

@Big Fin once said in a video "imagine if all you had to hunt with was your teeth".

Even more crazy would be imagine if every animal you hunted could fight back. Got to watching random videos and came across this one. I seldom favor trophy safaris because so many of them are trophy hunts and the meat is left to waste. However, they are legal and I respect that.

To say most of the meat is left to waste its a stretch... Most of the meat is donated to nearby villages or used for bait for a different animal.
Ask that dude that was gored to death by the bull elk he shot which animal is the most dangerous to hunt.
There's been people gored by deer too, but I definately wouldn't call them the most dangerous

I'll speak for my grandpa here as he's been able to hunt just about everything we could want to hunt...

Most dangerous in terms of animals was his cape Buffalo in Africa for obvious reasons. But he also has talked a lot about his polar bear hunt. The way they hunted was basically ride around on dogsled for a few days, then they slowed down and basically watched. The guide (native inuit) told him that the bears will hunt them now. They moved a bit each day but often just kept lookout. I can see how that would scary since you don't know if the bear is going to show up in the middle of the night or during daylight.

His most dangerous hunt he was on was his Marco Polo sheep hunt in Tajikistan. He was there in 2001 when the US invaded Afghanistan and was only 20 miles from the border when the war broke out. He was supposed to go with a friend, they had booked the trip a year ahead of time and my grandpas friend backed out about a month ahead of the trip. I don't blame him for backing out and neither does my grandpa. Being right after 9/11 when tensions were high in the middle east it was definately not the time to fly around the world to hunt in a hostile area. My grandpa decided to do the hunt anyway and everyone along the way was great. But that's a hell of an adventure and it's pretty crazy that everything went as smooth as it did. He ended up with an amazing Marco polo and ever since then that's been a trip I will do someday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back