Learning to be an advocate. Tracking bills in the IDAHO Senate and Legislature.

44hunter45

@Backofbeyond and anyone else who is interested. I'm still learning this stuff. I have a whole new respect for @Ben Lamb and other HTers who have spent years in this arena.

While I learned that while you are micro-focused on one bill, other important bills can blow right by you.While I was focused on lighted nocks, a raft of other bills were happening which I should have been watching. For example, Trident holdings had gotten a bill submitted which would alter the makeup of the IDL board in favor of developers. It was withdrawn, so I didn't completely fail.

I realize that as informed, erudite, and eloquent as I thought I was in my emails to Rep Troy of Moscow, she was likely laughing up her sleeve at all the stuff I did not see.

Good sources for Conservation and Public Lands topics are The Idaho Conservation League, BHA, Idaho Wildlife Federation, and (believe it or not) The IDAHO Freedom Foundation website. This is McGeachin central, but they are informative.

Here is the IWF bill tracking page:

If you are interested, you can build your own bill watch list here. The tool allow you to build a list searching by Bill Number or subject. You will have to go through the two-step verification to create an account at Idaho.gov. I found I already had one from doing IDFG stuff.

@Ben Lamb, @Big Fin - Do you know of a source of training for Idahoans similar to the things Jessi Johnson talked about on the HT Podcast?

I haven't listened to the podcast with Jessi, so I'm not sure what she cited?

Most states will have some kind of "Camo at the Capital" training where they teach you how to advocate, track bills, etc. Not sure if the ID folks do that, but getting involved with a state-level organization is a great first step in learning how to be an effective advocate. Groups usually have specific legislative committees, etc, that you can join if you want to deepen your involvement as well, and there's volunteering efforts during the interim relative to a variety of things.

Citizen lobby day trainings have been really helpful in the past, and super fun to be a part of. You essentially get to sit around a hotel banquet room all day and (wait for it) you get to listen to lobbyists talk for the whole time! Kidding. Those events can be super good in terms of helping citizens learn how to lobby effectively, and how to represent your organization/issue with professionalism.

ICL And IWF would be the groups I'd reach out to ask about training & volunteer possibilities.

I haven't listened to the podcast with Jessi, so I'm not sure what she cited?

Most states will have some kind of "Camo at the Capital" training where they teach you how to advocate, track bills, etc. Not sure if the ID folks do that, but getting involved with a state-level organization is a great first step in learning how to be an effective advocate. Groups usually have specific legislative committees, etc, that you can join if you want to deepen your involvement as well, and there's volunteering efforts during the interim relative to a variety of things.

Citizen lobby day trainings have been really helpful in the past, and super fun to be a part of. You essentially get to sit around a hotel banquet room all day and (wait for it) you get to listen to lobbyists talk for the whole time! Kidding. Those events can be super good in terms of helping citizens learn how to lobby effectively, and how to represent your organization/issue with professionalism.

ICL And IWF would be the groups I'd reach out to ask about training & volunteer possibilities.
She was talking about "Camo at the Capitol"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back