Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

More Discounted Non-residents licenses for Montana

Wonder what Buzz thinks. mtmuley
Oh boy…..! I can’t wait to hear it! He’s probably chillin with his “boys” sipping on some top shelf Scotch and telling them how he’s going to “educate” everyone on it. Just giving you a hard time Buzz.🤦‍♂️

Don't care, doesn't change anything for me. Both my wife and I qualify for native licenses.

I'll take advantage of all the republican sponsored legislation I can. Told them once it was a bad idea, won't repeat myself.
Thanks man. Not surprised. mtmuley

Thanks man. Not surprised. mtmuley
No reason to care, residents don't, why should anyone else?

Shoulder seasons.

Saturday opener.

Kids deer hunt.

Muzzleloader season.

Lower age to 10 for kids deer hunting.

$20 resident elk tags, $16 deer tags.

Elk b tags.

6 weeks archery hunting, brown it's down.

5 weeks rifle, brown it's down.

Multiple mule deer per hunter in region 7.

202 observed elk in the Bob.

8 observed elk in unit 202.

"Lost" 100+ elk north of Missoula in the north hills.

3.6 bulls per 100 cows good enough to consider adding 2 weeks and more limited tags in 313.

But, but, those dang native tags.

Funny...take a guess who allowed all that shit to pass.

Keep pulling that R lever...you're doing great.

Like I said, I've voiced my opposition to all of it, residents knew better and allowed it all to pass.

You want to blame someone for your woes, go look in the mirror.

Last edited:

Shoulder seasons.

Saturday opener.

Kids deer hunt.

Muzzleloader season.

Elk b tags.

3.6 bulls per 100 cows good enough to consider adding 2 weeks and more limited tags in 313.

Like I said, I've voiced my opposition to all of it, residents knew better and allowed it all to pass.

Well, guess you will be here next year then with your Republican tag. Post a bunch of pics too. mtmuley

Again……..pretty sure MOGA has nothing to do with it….nor are we looking for an advantage.
Not implying that it is. The biggest benefit to the outfitter is there will be fewer people in the general draw. The biggest benefit to outfitters is not going to be that big. I would suspect MOGA would put their effort where they will get more bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFS
How is killing elk for 6 months straight on public land good for the resource? Rifle hunting deer for 6 weeks straight through the rut? Montana doesn’t give a shit about the resource and they’ve made that very clear each year. This state is so frustrating
Sounds like you need a new set of boot laces pardner.

I hope all of those Montana citizens on this thread opinionating, consternating, pontificating, and discussing this will contact the appropriate legislators and oppose this draft bill.
Don't tarry; time is of the essence. Law makers meet for only ninety days every two years.

But I'll say it again ... I wish they would only meet for two days every ninety years!

Shoulder seasons.

Saturday opener.

Kids deer hunt.

Muzzleloader season.

Elk b tags.

Yup - damn NR’s . The problem in montana has very little (if anything) to do with how many NR’s come there hunting . Very little . Look in the mirror . I didn’t elect any montana officials

Shoulder seasons.

Saturday opener.

Kids deer hunt.

Muzzleloader season.

Elk b tags.

It is worth noting that the bad ideas aren't just republican. There's a bill draft from a democrat to turn the landowner preference into a disabled hunter license, etc.

Legislators have a tendency to treat wildlife law and licensing like they're handing out candy during a parade. In 2013, the Legislature did a massive rewrite of Title 87 given the ridiculous number of bills that have been brought forward. In 2015, the licensing committee did yeoman's work to reign in the free & reduced cost licenses and added $5 million a year to the FWP budget by reinstating the appropriate costs for licenses. In 10 years, we've added enough carve outs and handouts to have an issue where NR hunter opportunity is roughly 40% of what Resident is, as well as set seasons in statute, etc.

The culture of Montana's legislature is a huge part of the problem here. Term limits have eliminated institutional knowledge in the body and placed it in the hands of lobbyists and agency personnel who are generally distrusted by the worst of the worst, who often times end up in leadership positions.

In this specific instance, I don't think Sen McGillivray is trying to be a bad apple. I've worked with him in the past and he's always been thoughtful and willing to compromise. Hearing that there's talk of an amendment on this already to take the NR Native out of the 17K B10's, which would create some budgetary issues, but overall would reduce the number of NR licenses issued in MT.

Biggest point is that it's not a partisan issue so much as a lack of education issue, and a culture that thinks the resource is inexhaustible.

Biggest point is that it's not a partisan issue so much as a lack of education issue, and a culture that thinks the resource is inexhaustible.
And a culture that says "I gotta get mine." The Legislature has tried for years to take over management from FWP. This is another example. To say it's lack of education highlights why it shouldn't happen...but it will...eventually.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back