MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

More Discounted Non-residents licenses for Montana

You’re right it doesn’t say that but IME when a piece of legislation is this specific it was dreamed up by some trust will specifically benefit from it. At this point who shouldn’t get there own special set aside? Is this bill something you hope to see implemented?
I am going to say that push for this is coming from residents that have had kids that have moved out of state and married non residents. Most of these licenses will be used on Public land.The biggest benefit to outfitters will be that the spouses of the coming home to hunt hunters will no longer need to apply in the general draw and this will free up some tags for outfitter clients.

Last edited:
Pump the brakes pal…….! Where at in Randy’s post did you dream up that it was an outfitter client that needs “their own special license”? Did I misread and or miss MOGA’s name on what Randall posted? If so….please let me know so I can get up to speed on it.

Agree w/ Rod here. This isn't a MOGA bill.

Not sure where it's coming from.

I am going to say that push for this is coming from residents that have had kids move out of state and married non residents. Most of these licenses will be used on Public land.The biggest benefit to outfitters will be that the spouses of the coming home to hunt hunters will no longer need to apply in the general draw and this will free up some tags for outfitter clients.
That’s exactly what this is. Someone is upset about leaving the in-laws and subsequent progeny out of the hunt when they come visit for thanksgiving.

Big Fin, thanks for the heads up, e-mail sent.

What the hell happened to the Vikings?? Did they think it was a play off game?

You’re right it doesn’t say that but IME when a piece of legislation is this specific it was dreamed up by some trust will specifically benefit from it. At this point who shouldn’t get there own special set aside? Is this bill something you hope to see implemented?
Actually, this is the first I’ve heard of it, and no…..I don’t see a need for it.

I'm fine if they set aside some tags from the nonresident pool for this, but hell no adding more licenses to the pool.

I am going to say that push for this is coming from residents that have had kids move out of state and married non residents. Most of these licenses will be used on Public land.The biggest benefit to outfitters will be that the spouses of the coming home to hunt hunters will no longer need to apply in the general draw and this will free up some tags for outfitter clients.
Again……..pretty sure MOGA has nothing to do with it….nor are we looking for an advantage.

We are in the first week of the legislative session and the bills to change Montana hunting are already coming out. We knew this bill was on the docket and the final language just came out.

We already have the "Come Home To Hunt," the "Montana Native," and the "College Student" programs that allow selected non-residents to hunt here without having to draw, and they get to do so at a discounted price. This bill will allow a lot more people to hunt Montana, at a reduced price, and add beyond the 17,000 (really double that number) that they say is the non-resident cap. A ton of folks would qualify under this proposal.

This proposal expands the Montana Native program, essentially doubling that program. Anyone who is married to a Montana Native, would now get to buy a discounted non-resident license, the same as under the existing Montana Native program.

The amount of ways that the 17,000 cap is being circumvented grows every legislative session. This has the possibility to add a lot more to that. And, given the other big issues in this session, stuff like this is just more distraction.

Given the bill is currently in draft form, hopefully we can convince the sponsor of the problems resulting from this bill before he actually introduces it for a committee hearing.

If you have some comments on this proposal, please email the sponsor, politely and professionally - [email protected]

Link to the bill here - https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2023/billpdf/LC0209.pdf
Is there any reason to think that this bill won't pass? The "come home to hunt", "Montana Native", and "College Student" programs are all running, and I'm not sure they are that unpopular with the average Montanan.
The issue is that people see these programs from their own personal position and think how their relative can now hunt every year, but don't think about how it's increasing total hunter numbers. The real problem is that all these licenses are in addition to the 17,000 NR limit, when they should be subtracted from the 17,000. I'm pretty sure the average person who would support these programs would not support them being added to the 17,000, but would want them subtracted.
Could the bill be worded so that these licenses are subtracted?

I just got to thinking about how none of these programs would help me if I left the state. Maybe I should get McGillvray to sponsor a bill that allows you to buy an in state license after you've paid Montana taxes for 40 years, no matter where you live. Ha.

This is ridiculous. I was born in Great Falls, grew up in Anaconda, live in WA, but own land outside of Anaconda. Shouldn’t I get a free license!?! Kidding! Calm the crap down.
Your from Montana and have land there but you live in WA? What for if you don't mind me asking lol. Born and Raised in Puyallup but now live in Wyoming. You kind of went against the current from anyone I have ever known in WA lol.

Constantly adding more and more tags will privatize wildlife quicker than anything. We are already above sustainable tag numbers as is. How many hunters are we going to crowd on accessible land? When does fwp step up and say the resource can’t handle it.

Constantly adding more and more tags will privatize wildlife quicker than anything. We are already above sustainable tag numbers as is. How many hunters are we going to crowd on accessible land? When does fwp step up and say the resource can’t handle it.
I can hear fwp testifying on this one “There is no biological reason we can not add more tags”. 😂

Again……..pretty sure MOGA has nothing to do with it….nor are we looking for an advantage.
I interpreted @antlerradar message as there being an indirect benefit to outfitted clients - as well as any other nonresidents in the general draw - if this new license type frees up tags for Montana Native family members now. I don't think he was suggesting MOGA had anything to do with the draft bill.

😂 I left to teach and coach. Heading back when I hit 54 years old and retire. 😃
Gotcha. I've gone from WA to WY back either traveling, seeing family and always seemed to notice going through the Anaconda area, excellent area. If I ever decide to move to get closer to family in WA, that area would be high on my list.

I interpreted @antlerradar message as there being an indirect benefit to outfitted clients - as well as any other nonresidents in the general draw - if this new license type frees up tags for Montana Native family members now. I don't think he was suggesting MOGA had anything to do with the draft bill.
Nope…..I get that. I wasn’t jumping down his throat by any means. Thank you for your interpretation and undoubtedly a correct one.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back