PEAX Equipment

Montana Wolf - The waiting is over!

Day Two is in the books. Both tags are still in our pockets.

We hiked a lot today. Our attempt was to get away from the snowmobile crowd, a big crowd, and the horse back guys.

Not nearly as eventful as yesterday. No fresh tracks, no wolves spotted. Surely not due to lack of effort. Not sure how many miles we hiked, but our afternoon hike took an hour and forty minutes, up some pretty serious grades. Only to get up there and have another snow storm blow in and keep our visibility go down the tubes.

My face is burning from cold and wind, but my heart wants to get me back out there again tomorrow. The fun is worth the effort, for sure.

Lost track of how many elk we saw today. Also a cow and calf moose and some mule deer bucks, one of which gave Critter a false hope of a wolf. The deef was burning through some trees below us, in blowing snow, making it hard to see exactly what it was. I know this, when Critter gets excited, his language gets very colorful. He quickly saw it as a deer and the big thrill subsided as quickly as it came. The buck was followed by about thirty elk doing the same thing. We never did see what scared them so bad.

Wolf hunting, other than incidental wolves shot while elk hunting, is going to be one of the biggest challenges in MT. Anyone who makes wolves their target and successfully finds and shoots one will have my full respect.

The funny point of the day had to be the guy who came to Critters howls, and showed up above us on his horse. Critter hit a few more lonely notes and when he did, the rodeo was on. We filmed the guy bail off his spooked horse and then try to calm him down. They went round and round in circles. The guy finally won the tussle and after a short gassing session, remounted his ride and headed down to the trailhead. So far, it appears that both elk and horses have no use for wolf howls.

Hope we can get lucky tomorrow. We are working our tails off, but it will still be a stroke of luck if we do get a shooting opportunity on film. It would be a great end to a very tough season.

It's crazy that you're seeing so many other hunters. I've put in three days so far in an area that has lots of wolves, right next to Missoula, and haven't seen another hunter.

Good luck, really hope you guys make it happen.

Hang in there. If there ever was a couple of guys to give it their all, I would be hard placed to bet my money on other than you two (not meaning any disrespect to the rest of y'all though). Can you get to or in any lower valleys back away from the crowds? Hard for them to run game down in the deep and downfall stuff. May be a stupid question on my part not knowing what kind of country your are hunting in though.

It's crazy that you're seeing so many other hunters. I've put in three days so far in an area that has lots of wolves, right next to Missoula, and haven't seen another hunter.

Good luck, really hope you guys make it happen.

Surprising to me, also. One group has eight snowmobiles. They are driving all over in the areas where snowmobiles are allowed. Good for us, given we have decided go head into the non-motorized area. I think that traffic will push most the elk our direction, and with them, I hope the wolves.

Lots of road hunters on the roads below. Loose count of those. I am mostly surprised that there is this much traffic on weekdays. Causes me to wonder what the weekend will be like.

Thankful that there are a ton of non-motorized areas, allowing sanctuary for the critters and a place for the walk in guys to hunt.

Yeah I was wondering what kind of country you were hunting in. Big open parks? To see one at 500 yards.
Pretty sure I won't see one at anything over 100 yards.

With that many hunters you would one would of been shot by now. Have you heard any rumors from the people youve met if any have been shot?

I know this, when Critter gets excited, his language gets very colorful. He quickly saw it as a deer and the big thrill subsided as quickly as it came. .

LOL.....yea, sorry bout that:D The dang thing was about to dissappear and i couldn't get my binos out of the holder. I was just gonna blame it on the Turrets.;)

Good thing you have editing:D

Lets get after em again tomorrow, this is fun stuff! Dang tough animal to hunt but it will be that much more rewarding if we actually pull this off. Yesterday we were as close as you could get without actually doing the lead injection, but more miles on the boots, and eyes through the glass, could eventually pay off.

If you need sleds to get around easier I have several that are just itching to put some miles on this year.

Here's wishing you guys the best. One question... Are you just using your voice to howl or some type of reed call. I'm wanting some snow to fly here then i'll get up after some for a day or two. Good luck guys.

Good luck sounds like your having fun at least. Also we did have confirmation of wolves in north east Nevada.

Here's wishing you guys the best. One question... Are you just using your voice to howl or some type of reed call. I'm wanting some snow to fly here then i'll get up after some for a day or two. Good luck guys.

Just my voice........seems to be working to fool the people, just need it to fool the wolves now:)

good luck fin,,,un fortunately wolfs are still so called protected in oregon,,,for some stupid reason odfw wants to establish them so were out of luck here for now...sounds like a challenging hunt.

Randy, just a reminder of the age difference between you and Critter. Make sure you slow down enough for him to catch his breath!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back