Montana Wolf - The waiting is over!

Sounds like a great day guys. I wish you both the best of luck in your pursuit this week, I am looking forward to the reports and hope to see some pics. Again good luck!!!

Wow what a great day! I've heard of another guy getting one in the area, so I know they are there as well.
Reading your posts about the hunt brought back memories from last year. They are a crazy eery animal. When they start howling it's wild!! Hope you get to hear some Fin. You're already far ahead of the majority of wolf hunters just with seeing some. Good Luck!!

Its on like donkey-kong !!!

There has been a ton of guys calling at these wolves so hopefully they won't get call shy before we slam a couple.

Today was a close one...............if they keep doing stuff like that, their luck is bound to run out.

Best of success Critter n Randy! Make it happen! I've never given thought to hunting wolves... I stay away from areas I have experienced wolves in the area... tracks, howling at night... though when I hear that - I'm usually moving to another area as that typically indicates I am in a piss poor area for elk as a "joe" hunter.
Suppose the focus has to be on what is being hunted. Still don't see it in the cards to hunt wolves for myself - hell, I'm still learning to fine tune the basics of the elk.

Rooting for you two! Get it done!

Good luck, Fin and Critter. I don't think Lewis and Clark ate any wolves, but they did eat plenty of dog.

Very cool, interested in seeing how this plays out.

I stay away from areas I have experienced wolves in the area... tracks, howling at night... though when I hear that - I'm usually moving to another area as that typically indicates I am in a piss poor area for elk as a "joe" hunter.

Not arguing that wolves change behavior and take plenty of elk, but wolves can't survive on nothing. If there are wolves nearby, elk are probably not too far away.

Not arguing that wolves change behavior and take plenty of elk, but wolves can't survive on nothing. If there are wolves nearby, elk are probably not too far away.

True. I suppose it becomes irritating when old areas that produced no longer had anywhere near the success... and the tracks and howls shifted the scale on a noticable drop in elk success.
Maybe it is along the lines of the scale for orange vs game harvest for myself - lessons learned to incorporate useful strategy of orange to bring that scale back into reason.

I still think, having moved to my old 2nd area has returned my elk harvest where the wolves are minimal - or I should say, the honey holes do not have the tracks and wolf noise. Makes those X mile hike in's more satisfying.

At my level of elk hunting skill - it helps to identify areas for the best success possible and wolves for myself is one of those factors to evaluate when choosing my stomping grounds :)

I understand where you're coming from completely. I just find it funny when people say, "I went elk hunting hunting and all I saw were wolf tracks, there's not an elk left here"

Wolves have undoubtedly lowered hunter success in many areas, but they have also become an easy excuse for people to blame it on, when in fact, their laziness is the reason they can't find elk.

BIG FIN,

I have eaten dog and can tell you it is not that bad, BUT wolf I think it would taste like coyote and that is not great. I would try a little backstrap after letting it soak in a good soy sauce mixture and a little bit of honey....GOOD LUCK on the hunt

Any chance Critter could disembowel a wolf with his first shot then Randy shoot the other wolf that comes up to it to start eating on its intestines while it is still alive? That would make really erie footage.

Any chance Critter could disembowel a wolf with his first shot then Randy shoot the other wolf that comes up to it to start eating on its intestines while it is still alive? That would make really erie footage.

Really not much worse than the UFC stuff.;)

Good luck Fin and critter,I sure wish we had the opportunity to hunt or trap wolves here in Mn. Everyone in Mt and Id should take advantage of this because it can be taken away at any time. Randy I dont know about this plan of eating them. They smell even worse than a coyote.

Mid day break. Got coverage momentarily.

No wolves this morning. Critter's howling brought in the guys on horseback and two moose. He scared off every elk in the drainage.

Very cold up here. 5F when we left the truck.

This wolf hunting is tough. Tons of hunters today. Many on snowmobile, the rest on horses, and us folks on foot.

Heading to a new spot for the afternoon.

Back