Montana surplus tags go on sale next week

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
For those still looking for a place to hunt, lots of opportunity exists in Montana. The more I travel, the more I realize how spoiled we are in Montana, from long seasons, to no weapons restrictions, to ridiculously low residents fees, to the large amount of ground on which to hunt. For those non-residents who want the same benefits, other than the low fee (ouch), here is your chance.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/buyApply/nowAvailableDuringSeason.html

These licenses start on sale next Monday, May 9th. Good luck and happy hunting!

Thanks big fin. Would love to hunt Montana one day, just hope when that days arrives there are still leftover tags.

How many people buy the elk or deer combo and actually hunt upland game or go fishing?

Grouse with bows are BIG fun and make for excellent camp dinners!
Will be taking a pole along this year too - at least to have it in the truck.

IMG_0260.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• fishing 008.jpg
    fishing 008.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 540
  • fishing 001.jpg
    fishing 001.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 540
  • fishing 002.jpg
    fishing 002.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 535
  • fishing 005.jpg
    fishing 005.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 540
  • hunt talk 10.jpg
    hunt talk 10.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 537
  • hunt talk 12.jpg
    hunt talk 12.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 538
  • hunt talk 6.jpg
    hunt talk 6.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 544
  • hunt talk 3.jpg
    hunt talk 3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 537
Will I be ok if I wait until late in the day on Monday to buy my daughter a deer only tag? Work schedule might make it tough to log on right away on the 9th. Thanks!

How many people buy the elk or deer combo and actually hunt upland game or go fishing?

My out of states friends do. One friend religiously comes up for a summer camping and fishing trip. The other comes for 10-14 days in November and dedicates time for some pheasants. Not to mention running into the occassional grouse. But I realize not everyone is able to do that.....

Stinks that my Uncle cant sponsor me for the youth big game general. My dad can be hard to tie down for hunts lol

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the leftover tags go on sale at Midnight tonight? Or do they wait unitl morning to make them available?

Boy those deer tags went in record time I think gone already! Guess my buddy is stuck with possibly a combo tag unless he waits to long for that one at this rate. Those draws may not be 100% next year?

Well as of Monday the 9th it looks like ZERO deer combos left over and 1,110 big game combos and 2,105 elk tags left.

Deer sold out - Really?

I got my daughter her tag...ended up calling at 8:45 am because of an als issue and they were down to 120ish already. Anyway, she's going on her first deer hunt! We are pumped!

I knew they would go fast . Lower gas prices , and been watching trend last few years they've been going faster every year . And I think the deer combo is a good deal even at $600 .

People like the fact that's it's basically a "guaranteed" tag . Or atleast it was . If u want one next year u best put in the draw

Wow those deer tags went quick. How many were available before they went on sale?

It was somewhere I believe in the 450 range give or take but quite a few. Way less than previous years if memory serves me correctly. If you want one next year I agree better not make it a backup plan and put in. I suspect with the herds starting to rebound pretty good from 11 the hunting may improve a lot for nice bucks.

It was somewhere I believe in the 450 range give or take but quite a few. Way less than previous years if memory serves me correctly. If you want one next year I agree better not make it a backup plan and put in. I suspect with the herds starting to rebound pretty good from 11 the hunting may improve a lot for nice bucks.

I agree and I think it was 483 or so . The fact that many units are now either sex may help some muley bucks grows as well plus there's b muley tags again in some spots do maybe every forky on public won't die . And the nice winters help too . Things are looking up for muleys in mt . I'm not real worried about a tag for next year just yet cuz I usually buy the big game combo and those aren't going real fast .

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back