Caribou Gear

Montana Outfitters looking out for you

BuzzH

This shouldnt come as any surprise...a MT rep. also an outfitter, sponsoring a piece of trash bill like this:

Montana outdoors: Penalties in trespass bill brutally stiff
Mark Henckel
MONTANA OUTDOORS

If you're looking for a real scary piece of legislation in Helena, look no further than Senate Bill 312.

SB 312, sponsored by Sen. Keith Bales, R-Otter, would change the penalties for a second offense in a 10-year period for hunting on private land without permission - in short, hunting trespass.

The new penalties for a second offense would be a minimum fine of $2,000 and it could go up to $5,000, jail for up to a year, or both, and the loss of hunting, fishing and trapping licenses for a minimum of five years.

In a state where public lands are typically not clearly marked, a state which requires no fencing and no posting of private lands and whose private land ownership is increasingly absentee - even absentee by in-state landowners who might not live in the same county the land is located - those penalties are incredibly punitive.

Right now, hunting private land without permission is considered a misdemeanor, which means a person can be fined up to $1,000 and thrown in jail for up to six months and lose their hunting, fishing and trapping licenses.

A fine of $1,000? Six months in jail? A judge's discretion on how long to take licenses away? To me, that means if the judge really wants to throw the book at a trespasser, they already have some pretty stiff and effective tools at their disposal.

How stiff would SB 312's new penalties be in comparison to other violations of hunting laws? Let's take a look at a similar violation for guides and outfitters.

Bales, a Powder River County outfitter, should know that the Montana Board of Outfitters typically levels fines of $150 to $300 and hands out a year of probation for outfitters and guides who operate outside their approved areas.

It could be argued that this, too, is simply hunting without permission. But nobody loses their hunting license, their guide license or their outfitter license over it that I'm aware of. No outfitter or guide has been fined $1,000 by the board for that violation alone, much less $5,000. And nobody does jail time.

Is the board soft on its own constituents while Sen. Bales is trying to get tough on others? That's a matter of opinion.

But this Board of Outfitters is the same outfit that, in session last year, voted not to list the reasons for fines, probation and other disciplinary actions against guides or outfitters on its Web site.

The board's rationale was that people could call the office if they really wanted to know about the violations that a guide or outfitter might have committed. And besides, listing those bad things about a violating outfitter might hurt the outfitter's business.

So it could be argued that if you get fined $300 by the board for a $2,000-per-trip or $3,000-per-trip client you take to an illegal place to get a nice buck, you're still making out pretty darn well.

No hearing date has been set for SB 312. And no legislation has been introduced in this session to require better posting to make it easier for hunters, hikers and fishermen to determine land ownership.

It would be good to stop poaching, as long as they do it in a fair way. Its a felony in Texas, bad stuff. Some people joke its less jail time to shoot a person, because there are less fines. Poach a game animal here you pay big fines and go to jail. Felons can't own a gun, can they?

Tom- I guess you could consider it poaching but this law is about trespassing. It is difficult, although not impossible, to tell if you are trespassing in Montana. I've personally had a rancher tell me he owns land, I've hunted that land, only to find out later that someone else owns it. There may be one owner and 5 different managers for a property (each with different restrictions). It is very confusing and in most cases the trespassing is done without knowing you are doing it. I personally feel this law may be a little too stiff of a penalty.

The article is wrong about no hearing being set. There is a hearing tommorrow 2/1/05.Hearing dates I will be in Helena tommorrow to hear testimony on another bill, if it doesn't conflict I will try to go and participate in this hearing also. What bothers me is that it doesn't require landowners to clearly mark their property lines. I think this a bad bill designed to only benefit those who make the most money off of selling public wildlife. I have not read where trespass is such a huge issue. Granted it happens and those caught are generally dealt with but more often then not the tresspass is simply a mistake. Pretty punitive to make such a mistake. Also there should be reciprocity with fining the Guides and Outfitters even more.

Who knows though, the legislature right now is so focused on complying with the school funding lawsuit that this thing could pass without much debate. If you are needing a way to make your voice heard there here is a link to the Fish and Game committee:Montana Fish and Game Senate Committee

Each member has a direct link or an email address. Get active now or live with the results.

Nemont

ok.

Its different here, private land is managed very tightly. We even kick people off who pay to be on it sometimes, if they break a rule. We have leases and lease managers. Its different here. We have liars too, but they don't last to long.

I can't imagine 4-5 managers each making thier own rules. That would end quick if it happened down here.

Good luck at the hearings!

MattK said:
Tom- I guess you could consider it poaching but this law is about trespassing. It is difficult, although not impossible, to tell if you are trespassing in Montana. I've personally had a rancher tell me he owns land, I've hunted that land, only to find out later that someone else owns it. There may be one owner and 5 different managers for a property (each with different restrictions). It is very confusing and in most cases the trespassing is done without knowing you are doing it. I personally feel this law may be a little too stiff of a penalty.

Matt get a Good Map...I won`t speak for Montana or any other state...but in Arizona private property must be posted.

cjcj,

In Montana the land does not have to be posted, thats the problem with this law. Instead of increasing the fines and hanging a guy for an honest mistake, maybe a better bill would be one that requires landowners to POST their property if they dont want hunters on it.

In Montana it is up to the hunter to know ownerships, despite a lack of signs, up-to-date maps, FENCES, etc. etc. etc.

Well Buzz I have too agree with you [damn that hurts]... But yes they should put the "burdon of proof" on the landowners.. after all it is they that want to protect their property....they should take resposibility for it [posting]

cjcj, Do you guys post the border over there? No illegal alliens allowed. You better put it up in Spanish! You don't expect those people to read English do you? haha

Good suggestion Buzz. Heck, even I could write a Montana guy. Tell them, if they want out of state hunters like me, they should post the land. They probably don't want me. I've got Texas stuff to write about for the moment.

Good one Tom [and funny] but i think we are talking about "private property" here and ... Yes it private property is very much posted along the Mexico/AZ border.....ever hear of Roger Barnett? [Ranch Rescue?] They call him a "vigilante"

I accidentally ended up on private land this last season.
I was five or so miles from the truck, into what I thought was public ground (the rules also apply to those lands that have been traded by what ever Gov entity, for private grounds). I know this stuff happens all of the time and my maps of the area are a couple years old.
I was tracking a pretty big elk, came upon a water hole and God spoke to me...."WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING"...
I immediately looked around to find a guy perched in a tree stand over the water hole, declaring that I was trespassing. I tried to tell him I didn't know, he stated I was lying. I just turned around and walked away.
Fortunately nothing more came of this incident, but it could have. I try to make sure I am in the proper places when I go hunting, so that these things don't happen, but with the way the rules are set up, you just can't always tell. Unless you go to the county courthouse every time you want to go anywhere or do any thing.

The easiest way to figure this out is with a county plat book, about $25 at the courthouse. If your name is not on the property, stay off it or get permission, end of story. Sure it may not be posted, but if it is not yours and you don't have permission, stay off. I don't own a chunk of property to hunt on, but I do have permission to hunt geese, ducks, and deer on other people's land. It is hard to find land to hunt everywhere in the US now, but hunters have to be responsible enough to do your homework before hunting seasons start, not during when you are arguing with some other people in the woods about some fenceline. I would venture a guess that most hunters can read maps, and some can even utilize a GPS good enought to figure out where they are on a map. Remember what happened in Wisconsin this past fall??? My personal opinion is that it boils down to good old fashioned RESPECT. But the money factor of hunting has thrown that down the toilet is some areas of the country.

Zamboniman- As it stands, the burden is completely on the hunter. With no set boundaries, markers, or maps that show current data, it is very difficult to find ownership. Word of mouth, I discovered, isn't really useful either. I think there should be some burden put on the landowner as well as the hunter.

Zamboniman,
There is a huge amount of public ground out here that is free to hunt on and is allowed to be hunted on.
If one was to cut all access off to every one that wasn't a land owner, not very many of the huntable species here in Mt would be hunted.
The people as a whole that have the huge tracts of land out here, don't really hunt, or hunt much.
This rule would make it much easier if they do land swaps, to have to mark out the areas until it shows up on the maps, or leave it open until then.

The easiest way to figure this out is with a county plat book, about $25 at the courthouse. If your name is not on the property, stay off it or get permission, end of story. Sure it may not be posted, but if it is not yours and you don't have permission, stay off. I don't own a chunk of property to hunt on, but I do have permission to hunt geese, ducks, and deer on other people's land. It is hard to find land to hunt everywhere in the US now, but hunters have to be responsible enough to do your homework before hunting seasons start, not during when you are arguing with some other people in the woods about some fenceline. I would venture a guess that most hunters can read maps, and some can even utilize a GPS good enought to figure out where they are on a map. Remember what happened in Wisconsin this past fall??? My personal opinion is that it boils down to good old fashioned RESPECT. But the money factor of hunting has thrown that down the toilet is some areas of the country.

ZMan,

I don't think anyone has an issue with RESPECT for the land. I don't know if you ever have hunted out here but the property ownership maps are a little different and often confusing. It is not as easy as saying, "Hey, stay off of my 120 acre lease". Often public and private lands are checherboarded without any distinguishing marks. Even with a good map it is often easy to stray into the wrong area. If the land owners property rights are worth so much money why not require them to at least mark the boundary of what they own.

Nemont

Idaho addresses this with land having to be posted or "fenced or obviously cultivated". If it is private, but not fenced or cultivated, I don't think the trespass charges will get filed. To appease the landowners, they make it easy with allowing Orange Spray paint. Which then results in people spraying public property to fool others....

I have written and emailed all the members of the committee that is working on this bill. Here is the only response I recieved.

I can understand if someone is habitual in their trespassing but for there to be no requirement of better signage is ridiculas.

Sent : Saturday, February 5, 2005 9:18 AM
Subject : SB312

| | | Inbox

Thanks you for taking the time to write me regarding SB312. We heard Senator Bales’ bill on February 1 and I do see some merit in the bill. However, before I vote for it there will have to be some amendments. First, there has to be some assurances that the hunter has made a reasonable attempt to locate boundaries. Second although I do not support placing additional burdens on land owners for posting their land there has to be some level of signage. Third, the 10 year term must be reduced to 3-5 years.

Thanks again for your note and unless the above changes are made, I will not vote for the proposal.

Greg Barkus, SD4

Nemont

Nemont,

I got the exact same reply and also emailed all them.

The part I didnt like was "I wont put any more burden on the landowners"????

Pretty weak, but at least he replied.

Back