Montana on the Upswing?

SAJ-99

Buzz,
All good points. I don't think we disagree that some things you listed that don't make sense (with the exception of the transectional flights to count elk which is necessary for statistical accuracy). What we disagree on is your use of the term 'They' and lumping every employee at FWP into the same category. I think there are a lot of people, the majority even, at FWP that do their best and try to push for the right things given HIGHLY competing priorities from the various stakeholders. I also often question which decisions are truly made by FWP and which are pushed down, but I really don't have any insight there. I do know that many of your complaints focus on elk, which can be attributed to an outdated elk management plan. Hopefully the new one can incorporate some of the changes you suggest.

7 mag

Made me laugh. My brother did that when we were kids 40 years ago. Pissed off next door neighbor with a drag trail in the snow to our house. mtmuley
My brother did the same exa t thing maby many yrs, ago tbecoy diffrence was, he cut it down from the local judges back yard

7 mag

Montana, has, a, CWD problem. But yet in 12 pages of bitching and crying about not being able to drive down the road in Billy jo bobs truck and shoot that monster 400 inch buck from the road I have not read 1 post that
Puts some of Montana's deer hunting downward trend on part of the cause and that is CWD,
IT'S, here and only gonna get worse, now that it's been found in our elk moose and deer herds, brace yourselves our elk & moose herd is, about to
Take a plunge
Glaf, we hunt 100% private

bushman13

Interesting, would love to see the chart for all 50 states

1575410100817.png

The decline in hunter numbers does seem to be widespread. I will offer a counter point to argue it's not all doom and gloom however. In Georgia the total number of resident hunters is actually considerably up, but the total number of hunters is trending down because of non-resident license slumps.

The state Department of Natural Resources reports that last year it licensed nearly 400,000 hunters (2015). Six years earlier, in 2009, it had issued slightly more than 273,000 permits. That’s a jump of roughly one-third. And it includes a growing number of women: about 28,000 licenses were issued to female hunters last year.

The deer hunting in Georgia has always been monetized. The herd is 1.5 million and the seasons are 3-4 months long. Bag limits are extremely liberal. I think the lesson other states could learn is: Don't let Agg set your thresholds. People will hunt during times of abundance and the resource is sustainable.

EYJONAS!

Montana, has, a, CWD problem. But yet in 12 pages of bitching and crying about not being able to drive down the road in Billy jo bobs truck and shoot that monster 400 inch buck from the road I have not read 1 post that
Puts some of Montana's deer hunting downward trend on part of the cause and that is CWD,
IT'S, here and only gonna get worse, now that it's been found in our elk moose and deer herds, brace yourselves our elk & moose herd is, about to
Take a plunge
Now, I, feel, a, little, bit, dumber

isu22andy

Some people read the internet too much and listen to all the negativity.first I went to Montana this year for the first time and have never been there before and killed a 160 inch muley 1000 yards from a highway...

EYJONAS!

Some people read the internet too much and listen to all the negativity.first I went to Montana this year for the first time and have never been there before and killed a 160 inch muley 1000 yards from a highway...
I think your missing the point.

neffa3

pics?

brownbear932008

Don't think that's a normal hunt in Montana unless your on private or guided leased lands.
I've hunted the state most every year since 99 minus a handful of years and have taken one over 160. We hunt our a## off also. Just not there any longer hardly. I've drawn tags the last two years and turned them in last minute. Think I may be done there muley hunting unless things change.

8andcounting

Take a plunge
The deer population was trending down long before they found cwd in 2017 and 11,000 doe tags in r 7 is doing more to hurt than cwd currently . I too am glad you hunt private .