Montana on the Upswing?

This is real! Finding the killer tree is as tough as The big buck and there’s no shortage of boot tracks everywhere, clearly looking for the same thing. Last 2 elk hunting trips I’ve been looking the last mile out in the trails - nothing but shit Charlie Brown trees. Might have to poach one off Ted Turners or maybe the honey hole - Triple Tree doctors yards..
Well that explains BHR's Christmas tree.....

I'm only 31, but I found myself turning into a pissed off curmudgeon this year seeing all the Instagram videos of average mule deer bucks being shot by transplants who moved to Bozeman for a job in the hunting industry. Heaven forbid these guys don't fill every tag and get a picture to post on social media to prove they are legit. All these bucks looked like they were being shot in eastern Montana. The depressing thing is everyone coming to Montana to hunt thinks the deer situation is great because its better than where they come from. Even just in my 19 years of hunting in Montana I have seen it change big time. Sure there are still some nice bucks shot every year,but the quality of the experience has gone down drastically. Knowing what it was and could be, its hard for me to be happy with "well it's a hell of a lot better than where I came from."
There were an awful lot of vehicles heading west from easterm MT, late on Thanksgiving weekend w/ critters hanging off the carriers. Saw so many, it's a wonder there are any left.

I swear I was sayin these things about the seasons being too liberal in order to sustain the populations years ago and just got told to shut up and hunt harder.

I killed a 171” buck 250 yards from the highway last month in Montana. What’s your point? If it’s your first time then you don’t have anything to compare it to.

They need to eliminate all mule deer Doe tags statewide. Add the revenue from the would be doe tags to the NR buck tag cost.

I lived in Montana from 2006-2017 and I’ll gladly pay $1000 for just a deer tag to ensure the does don’t get whacked.
Last time I checked a mule deer buck started his life in the uterus of a female deer so why kill the ones that reproduce.
I agree . I would pay the $1,000 too . Just think what the population would look like with a few good winters and 0 b tags for few years .

Here is a document I had a hand in creating (yes my name is on it). No I am not affiliated with FWP and did this volunteer. I can say that many biologists in the state feel the same way as most folks here about the mule deer in the state. But as pointed out by many individuals here, they feel powerless to get the changes done that they would like to see done.

Mule Deer Effects on Regulations

I'm to scatter brained to go through 14 pages, but to suggest MT is soon to be a destination state for Mule Deer..................

LOL!

I'm to scatter brained to go through 14 pages, but to suggest MT is soon to be a destination state for Mule Deer..................

LOL!
Well I hate to tell you but it is exactly that for a lot of people . Proven by high demand for deer tags and by the number of NRs it sounds like there is every fall in SE Montana

It is not for me . I go every fall cuz we are great close friends with a rancher and his family .We probably spend more time around his coffee table and helping him feed cattle during our ten days there than we do hunting

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurek
Back