Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana on the Upswing?

Huge walk into the deep unknown Saturday. I didn't see a deer, buck, doe, fawn in the hills. Could've shot elk all day long so I know critters are able to live out there.

The only deer I saw that day were from the highway or gravel rds in ag.

If people think Montana is on the upswing I'd hate to see what the downswing is like.

Looking forward to a another montana mule discussion with zero direction.

#sendit

60470ae5bed9a.image.jpg

I've seen so many deer this season and not a single one has given me the "pull the trigger" feeling. 5-7 bucks a day on the East side and all were about what Jonas posted. I'll eat my tag 10x over before joining in on the dink-fest.

Well. 18 years of Montana deer hunting and for the first time I'm eating tag soup. 12 days and couldn't find a buck bigger than 150 even. I watched a 110 inch 3 point breeda doe last night.... 28 deer, one 3 point doing the breeding. I'm done with that place until things change

watching the facebook warriors, there is in insane amount of first time deer killers this year,,,,,i mean 30-50 yr old people harvesting their first 1.5yr old buck,,,,

ive personally seen a 191in buck and a 203in that were taken in montana this year, and 3 in the 180,s pretty slow compared to other years,,,,

watching the facebook warriors, there is in insane amount of first time deer killers this year,,,,,i mean 30-50 yr old people harvesting their first 1.5yr old buck,,,,

ive personally seen a 191in buck and a 203in that were taken in montana this year, and 3 in the 180,s pretty slow compared to other years,,,,
It has been years since I have seen an honest 200+ public land deer taken, private land too for that matter.

Well. 18 years of Montana deer hunting and for the first time I'm eating tag soup. 12 days and couldn't find a buck bigger than 150 even. I watched a 110 inch 3 point breeda doe last night.... 28 deer, one 3 point doing the breeding. I'm done with that place until things change
Just didn’t go deep enough or strap your boots up tight enough

Will sell way points for the right price....
View attachment 202644
#MeatMode
Mtmuley said it best in another thread... people head up to Montana looking for a slammer, then take whatever "good buck" they have to settle for. Truthfully it would be easy for someone from most parts of the South or Northeast to talk themselves into this buck. He is a dink but if you don't know mule deer or even big whitetails for perspective it'd be easy to talk yourself into this one - especially as an alternative to tag soup

Has got to be my all time favorite,

Of coarse as I am getting well into my 50's it is starting to hit a little close to home.
Haha. I always get a kick out of that one too. Saw a post a few weeks back from a local guy with a small very young looking deer. “This is the third year I saw this buck and since he’s going downhill I thought I’d take him. Meat in the freezer.” Or maybe it’s just another different small buck? Lol. To each there own and if it makes you happy, great, but don’t pretend every small buck is just going downhill.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back