Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana on the Upswing?

Not that anybody asked, but here’s what I fetishize about.

Region 7:
Sept 5-25 archery: 12-1500 either sex mule deer tags split proportionally among the units

oct5-20: 600+ rifle buck tags out proportionally among the units.

nov10-Thursday after thanksgiving: 10-30 rifle buck tags per unit.

Sept1-jan1: 3,000 first come first served R7 private land only antlerless OTC tags.

OTC whitetail buck hunting for residents.

opportunity galore, but a management structure that might produce a
Decent deer.
These are rough numbers obviously.

That is 5100 mule deer tags in just one region of the state.
You’d get flogged for suggesting such high tag numbers in other states.
That’s a lot of deer tags, yet would be a substantial decrease from what is currently going on.

Last edited:
I have liked the idea of a (900) series archery deer tag for Eastern MT. I was thinking August 15th- September 30. Wouldn't mind see a Muzzy season implemented or a Archery hunt during November?

You layed it out nicely Gomer.

I have liked the idea of a (900) series archery deer tag for Eastern MT. I was thinking August 15th- September 30. Wouldn't mind see a Muzzy season implemented or a Archery hunt during November?

You layed it out nicely Gomer.

He did lay it out nice and I agree with you both but your wasting your time . It isn’t going to happen . Next year at this time we will be having this . same . Exact . Discussion. Happy new year !

Hint: When viewing a lengthy thread and trying to understand the meaning of the title and various posts, start with page one, post one and read through (in this case) the circuitous maze.
Sorry about that . Thought I was on the first one . Was confused that's why I asked . Thanks for the hint 😁

SE Montana is in the hurt bag bad. Just came back from a trip out there. Numbers are slim to none in the open country where three years ago you would see tons of deer everyday. There are some deer to be found around the rivers and ag fields….mainly private. Bad drought the last few years and EHD is what the locals were saying. Love it out there but won’t be going back for a while.

SE Montana is in the hurt bag bad. Just came back from a trip out there. Numbers are slim to none in the open country where three years ago you would see tons of deer everyday. There are some deer to be found around the rivers and ag fields….mainly private. Bad drought the last few years and EHD is what the locals were saying. Love it out there but won’t be going back for a while.
Stick a fork in it. . .

I'll be saving so much $$ it'll be better than switching to Geico

That will make some people happy,wish they had mulies and antelope in my state so I could keep my $$ in my state

There are plenty of people lined up to take your spot. Nothing will change. It’s like the local bar you can skip going for several years and when you come back it’s still the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back