Montana on the Upswing?

madtom

Montana, has, a, CWD problem. But yet in 12 pages of bitching and crying about not being able to drive down the road in Billy jo bobs truck and shoot that monster 400 inch buck from the road I have not read 1 post that
Puts some of Montana's deer hunting downward trend on part of the cause and that is CWD,
IT'S, here and only gonna get worse, now that it's been found in our elk moose and deer herds, brace yourselves our elk & moose herd is, about to
Take a plunge
Glaf, we hunt 100% private
Wyoming and Colorado have had CWD for over 50 years, and most here would agree they tend to produce more and bigger bucks than MT.

timmy

“Biologists are already out looking at the herds and if they got too big they may change the structure of the season” 😂😂 Shoulder seasons for deer maybe?

EYJONAS!

Wyoming and Colorado have had CWD for over 50 years, and most here would agree they tend to produce more and bigger bucks than MT.
Saskatchewan and Alberta have had CWD for probably the same amount of time but....... they continue to produce the biggest mule deer in the world. In Saskatchewan not everyone gets a rifle tag or muzzle loader tag however you can get a archery tag every year. Their season isn't 11 weeks long, only special permits get to hunt the rut, no non resident can hunt Saskatchewan for mule deer. The list goes on and on. All while dealing with CWD that's NEVER going away. 🤷‍♂️

timmy

Saskatchewan and Alberta have had CWD for probably the same amount of time but....... they continue to produce the biggest mule deer in the world. In Saskatchewan not everyone gets a rifle tag or muzzle loader tag however you can get a archery tag every year. Their season isn't 11 weeks long, only special permits get to hunt the rut, no non resident can hunt Saskatchewan for mule deer. The list goes on and on. All while dealing with CWD that's NEVER going away. 🤷‍♂️
Right on. If you talk to them they are in their glory days as well.

Schism

Some people read the internet too much and listen to all the negativity.first I went to Montana this year for the first time and have never been there before and killed a 160 inch muley 1000 yards from a highway...
You should have seen what it was like 30 years ago. Had you been able to do that you would better understand where many on this thread are coming from.

EYJONAS!

Some people read the internet too much and listen to all the negativity.first I went to Montana this year for the first time and have never been there before and killed a 160 inch muley 1000 yards from a highway...
What time of year was that by the way.

huntin24/7

I live and hunt near the border. Deer numbers are very similar. The number of mature mule deer bucks only minutes across the border compared to our side is truly amazing. They seem to know better than to jump the fence in November though....most of the time.

Greenhorn

The tree struggle is real. I know of a domestic 15' Blue Spruce that is now a 3' stump. Pissed off homeowner is offering a reward. No, not Mrs. Fin.
Being that my favorite honey hole was overharvested (see above), we had to dive deep into the backcountry for a DIY extreme public land tree hunt. I used OnXmaps to avoid getting lost and also to track how far we were in from the truck. I once drug a tree with my kids about a mile, but usually I don't have to drag one 1/4 mile. This was yesterday's track, one-way after cutting it down, a full figured 10-footer. No BS.
C639364D-1995-4DE5-98E4-6968C8A46DA8.jpeg

EYJONAS!

Being that my favorite honey hole was overharvested (see above), we had to dive deep into the backcountry for a DIY extreme public land tree hunt. I used OnXmaps to avoid getting lost and also to track how far we were in from the truck. I once drug a tree with my kids about a mile, but usually I don't have to drag one 1/4 mile. This was yesterday's track, one-way after cutting it down, a full figured 10-footer. No BS.
View attachment 122804
Your standards are just too high.

Greenhorn

Your standards are just too high.
I'm a trophy tree hunter. Tree snob.

I've had the feeling before, usually with a dead elk laying at my feet, thinking, what have I done how am I going to get this out of here? I had help thankfully.

You can find those trees guys. They exist. You just have to go farther into the backcountry and put in your time. Or, just find a nice place off Triple Tree Rd. south of town. It's a lot like hunting for a nice mule deer.

EYJONAS!

I shouldve taken a picture,

I've had the feeling before, usually with a dead elk laying at my feet, thinking, what have I done how am I going to get this out of here? I had help thankfully.

You can find those trees guys. They exist. You just have to go farther into the backcountry and put in your time. Or, just find a nice place off Triple Tree Rd. south of town. It's a lot like hunting for a nice mule deer.
I should've taken a picture of ours this season. She's a real beaut Clark. Pushin 12'. Nice work on the deluxe tree. Daughter got herself a nice 4 footer for the basement. Adds a little habitat for the mounts

neffa3

Pic or it didn't happen. But I'd disguise the background so others don't find your new honey hole.

neffa3

Also, need verification on species, true tree snobs know one is clearly better than the rest.